Cell Phones

Looking to switch to Koodo

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 9:48 am
[OP]
Jan 1, 2020
1 posts

Looking to switch to Koodo

Apologies for if I am posting in the wrong sub-forums, but I am looking to discuss about new signup cell phone plans.
I am currently with Fido and I am on the loyalty $60, 15GB plan.
I have decided I do not need 15GB of data and looking to reduce costs.
The Fido network also seems spotty for me recently, and looking at Koodo options.
Currently eyeing the $45 for 2GB+2GB offering right now. Like many others, eyeing a low cost, high data plan.
Does anyone predict Koodo will have better deals when Black Friday rolls kicks in?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19818 posts
9230 upvotes
Oakville
I wouldn't be surprised to see better than $45/4gb on Black Friday. That's a pretty common one for Koodo (and also pretty shit).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33808 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
esscelol wrote: Like many others, eyeing a low cost, high data plan.
If you’re looking for a high data plan, stick with your Fido package

Assuming that voice is free

60$ / 15 Gigs = 4$ per gig

45$ / 4 Gigs = 11.25$ per gig
Mar 2, 2017
218 posts
198 upvotes
First off, have you tried calling into Fido and asking Loyalty what else they can do for you? There's a very (very) long thread in Hot Deals about Koodo handing out free data left and right. There's also the Fido Winback deal thread. While neither may be directly applicable to you, in short, the big 3 are finally taking Freedom/Shaw seriously and are upping their game to compete. If you're in the Freedom footprint, you may have more leverage. But even if you're not, a call (or 2) to Fido Loyalty and some luck with a good rep might get you what you want without having to switch.

NavieM has historically provided a lot of info on the various black Friday cell phone deals from his vintage point at Walmart. Take a look at his thread from last year. While I didn't follow it that closely, I got the feeling Black Friday was more about deals on hardware rather than plans last year. Time will tell this year.

Have you investigated Zoomer at all? It seems to be a recent darling of RFD. Runs on the Rogers network (and is actually owned by Rogers in the end), so it'll have the same coverage as Fido. There's a long thread in the ongoing deal section. They're a little quirky and their deals come and go, so make sure you read up on it first. But if the stars align, you should be able to get a sign-up bonus, a referral bonus, a free phone you can sell and a something along the lines of a $36 5GB plan.

Edit: Just saw your note on Fido being spotty for you. Zoomer may not work.

Edit #2: Maybe look into the Virgin Migration deals too.
Nov 29, 2019
32 posts
5 upvotes
esscelol wrote: The Fido network also seems spotty for me recently, and looking at Koodo options.
Currently eyeing the $45 for 2GB+2GB offering right now. Like many others, eyeing a low cost, high data plan.
Fido/Rogers has splotchy signal in my part of the BC coast whereas Koodo/Telus rocks for coverage.

After a few attempts to negotiate a lower priced plan, Koodo finally relented so I’m now enjoying a $35/6GB LTE with unlimited everything else ... even though I’m challenged to use half the data or everything else despite NOT working from home
May 26, 2020
99 posts
62 upvotes
Wow thats a good price. How did you manage that as a new customer?
May 24, 2017
829 posts
580 upvotes
GTA
wearysky wrote: Koodo's got a one day event today, 7gb for $50 (for single's day): koodo-koodo-singles-day-event-7gb-50-2417294/
OP ... Wait for Black Friday deals. Also note that Koodo had freedom from Freedom promo back in September. They were also quietly offering same promo if you were coming over from Rogers or their flanker brands. Go to Koodo kiosks in a mall and just ask. They sometimes have un-advertised specials. Mention you are coming from Fido.