• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2018 6:43 am
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes

Looking for tires

Hi,

Need some 205 60r16 all season tires for an awd car.

Any recos for a cheap place in Toronto? Happy with very basic or even used. Have rims. Need by April, so have some time.
Last edited by mikefly on Feb 23rd, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Dec 1, 2009
215 posts
150 upvotes
What car do you have that you need such large tires?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4340 posts
1834 upvotes
Parry Sound
What city are you in
liplip wrote: What car do you have that you need such large tires?
205/60r16 is pretty standard
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
Edited to 60r16 and added city.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4340 posts
1834 upvotes
Parry Sound
I've seen a lot of recommendations on RFD for Simply Tire in North York. I was going to buy from them after pricing around different shops but I ended up buying used on Kijiji.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: I've seen a lot of recommendations on RFD for Simply Tire in North York. I was going to buy from them after pricing around different shops but I ended up buying used on Kijiji.
Their online pricing was okay, but they didn’t answer the phone. Threads mentioned a group buy - not sure how much that helped the price.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4340 posts
1834 upvotes
Parry Sound
mikefly wrote: Their online pricing was okay, but they didn’t answer the phone. Threads mentioned a group buy - not sure how much that helped the price.
Send them an e-mail requesting a quote. They should respond by the end of the day.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: Send them an e-mail requesting a quote. They should respond by the end of the day.
Will do.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
Hi,

My quest to find cheap tires for my “new” 10 year old car has not been super successful.

Any advice on buying used? Or on the other options below? I’ve found two places that will sell me a matching set, installed for $200. Brand/model tbc.

#1) 2nd time around tires
#2) save on tires

$360 all in for new sunfull tires at factory tire.
$430 all in for new fuzion tires at simply tire
$590 all in for new Michelin tires at Costco (with $70 cash card)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29337 posts
15153 upvotes
Toronto
my advice is buy new (good brand) at Costco or your local tire shop, whoever gives you a better price. Don't buy Chinese made tires.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11499 posts
3220 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Check here for prices/options - http://simplytire.com

Do not buy used tires unless you plan on getting rid of the car in a few months. When you buy used tires they are already a few years old and you dont know what type of elements or abuse they have gone through. For a bit extra you get new tires with warranty and so on.

look at Continental tires. they are really good and usually cheaper then the higher end brands like Michelin.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
I can understand the advice to stay away from used, but what's wrong with Chinese tires?
At simplytire, after the fuzion, the next tire will be over $500 with tax. That's a lot for a car that cost under $4k.

I'd also like to understand the risk of the used tires - I will drive about 7,500km per year on them (also have winter set), and if I get 2-3 years out of them I'll be happy. (same is true of the car!)
Is there any way to get reliable used tires?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6401 posts
2065 upvotes
BC
It always gives me a chuckle when people say "don't buy used tires ...".

Those same people will happily buy and drive a used vehicle that comes with, guess what? - used tires. And you can't readily look inside those tires to check for damage.

Contrast that with being able to closely examine what the used tire dealer is offering you and probably getting some sort of warranty.

Yes, it does make sense to shop for a used tire set for your < $4K car. Check that they have approx. equal tread wear, and even wear, no bad sidewall scuffs, no cracking, and minimal number of patch repairs.
Ideally, they should be a well-known manufacturer, the manufacture date codes should be within the same general area and not older than 5 years (as you only need 3 more years use).

If the used tire dealer doesn't make you feel confident, move on to the next one.

Less of a crap shoot than buying cheap Chinese tires IMO. (There are some good Chinese tires, but many perform poorly and have questionable safety records.)
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
macnut wrote: Yes, it does make sense to shop for a used tire set for your < $4K car.
Clearly this is what I want to hear - but I've heard such varied opinions on the subject (just look at this thread) that I don't know what to believe! The logic that used cars come with used tires is sound to me.

The two places I listed above have good google reviews - for what that's worth.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16403 posts
5140 upvotes
London
Fuzion tires = Bridgestone = Firestone
$430 all in for brand new tires should be a no brainer
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14207 posts
8304 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Fuzion tires = Bridgestone = Firestone
$430 all in for brand new tires should be a no brainer
I agree.
mikefly wrote: At simplytire, after the fuzion, the next tire will be over $500 with tax. That's a lot for a car that cost under $4k.
another thread where someone is too cheap to pay for quality tires.....arguably the most important safety feature of your car.

$430 for peace of mind and everyone's safety is dirt cheap.
Feb 4, 2017
272 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
If you are buying used tires, be sure to check the condition and the amount of tread left on the tires. Check for cracks and damage. If the tires are not yet mounted, check inside the tire for any wear and damage. Be sure to check the DOT on the tire to ensure they are within the last couple of years. Check for any previous repairs like plugs and patches.

Dealers selling used cars with used tire on them also have to ensure that the tires pass MTO Saftey inspection. I believe more than 3-4MM tread life left. Which is considerably low standards.

Most brand new tires come with 8-10MM tread.

You are not driving many KMs per year. I see no issue with cheap china tires. You can expect that used and china tires will preform inferior to new quality tires. Performance, emergency braking, cornering, handling and things to bear in mind when shopping for tires.

I acquired a set of 8 year old Toyo winter tires with lots of tread. No issues in the winter but I was concerned that they would blow out on the highway.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
Swerny wrote: another thread where someone is too cheap to pay for quality tires.....arguably the most important safety feature of your car.
Unsure what your goal is in being insulting. I'm getting information from a variety of sources, and your condescending remarks are not appreciated. Furthermore, if safety is your prime concern, why do you link to a used bicycle helmet for sale? Although it's not illegal to sell, the Government of Canada recommends against doing so. Anyone who cares about the safety of their head wouldn't buy it. Is the takeaway that you don't care about anyone's safety?

Thanks to everyone else for their constructive input - whether or not it's the answer I was hoping for.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
396 posts
145 upvotes
For anyone still following along, here is an interesting article comparing a discount vs brand name tire. I did not consider road noise or fuel efficiency - which are of course very important.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16403 posts
5140 upvotes
London
mikefly wrote: For anyone still following along, here is an interesting article comparing a discount vs brand name tire. I did not consider road noise or fuel efficiency - which are of course very important.
Some tier2/3 tires are actually made by Tier 1 tire companies. Fuzion tires are made by Bridgestone

Some are older versions of tier1 tires. For example, the Nordman WR is made by Nokian and sold at a discount outside of their official distribution channel (Kal tire). It’s the older WRG2 model and while it does not perform as well as the current model WRG3, it’s still a very good tire