Travel

Looking to traveling to New Zealand. Any options for cheap flights?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2018 9:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON

Looking to traveling to New Zealand. Any options for cheap flights?

This will be in December
It seems that if I search for tickets from YYZ to AUK I get price above $2000
However if I search for tickets YYZ-YVR and then YVR to AUK then the prices are smaller (I still have to match the timing)

Do you know of any search engine that can help me with my searches?

PS: if you traveled there I would appreciate if you can share your tips and your experience
Lots of crazy 💡
39 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2196 posts
1056 upvotes
Moon
Someone move this thread lol, a month ago there was a huge sale on Air Canada To/From OCE (ANZ) to Canada. I doubt there will be much sales as its getting close.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
Ups..I did not realize that I posted in the Hot Deals (I got confused when the website asked me to chose a category)
I was actually browsing the Deals forum and I thought I was browsing the Travel forum
Sorry for the mistake, please move it
Lots of crazy 💡
Aug 29, 2017
563 posts
2032 upvotes
Some tips for you:
1. Rent a car - anything that is interesting is off the beaten path. Auckland and Wellington transport is good, but expensive (~$4 per ride)
2. Find out which Petrol(gas) station has sales on which days of the week.
3. NZ is expensive - shop at grocery stores. Do groceries at New World (like Sobeys) and you will get gas discount at gas station on off-days (see above)
4. Get a Spark Prepaid SIM - they are on Vodafone network but are much cheaper. https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/mobile-plans/prepaid.html
5. Be prepared for any weather.
6. Ferrying a car between the two islands is pricey. Pick one island and save that money for events, etc.
7. I would spend more time in Rotorua - lot's to do there! Must go to the museum in Wellington - it's free and huge - took us 2 days!
8. Credit cards accepted almost everywhere but,... if you are unlucky, earthquakes can knock out the grid for weeks, so have some NZ cash!
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
Dec 24, 2006
43 posts
15 upvotes
Gatineau
Just back from NZ this past may, we spent a month there with two kids, we rented an RV and toured both islands. Ferry was very expensive for an RV (around $400). But with kids it was so much easier to just unpack once in the RV and cook there. If you are on a tight budget or schedule, do only one island. I prefered South Island because of all the natural beauties. You will be going during high season so book everything WAYYYY in advanced. We were there in may and it happened a few times we hard a hard time to get a spot at campsites, or book certain activities, even the RV we did'nt have a lot of choices and we booked three months ahead. It will be crazy busy at that time of the year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
thanks guys
We plan to go there for like 9 days (2 days to travel there one way +two days to get back+ 9 days to see what we can)
I am not happy with the time that I have but it is what it is

I have looked at the cost for the ferry between Wellington and Picton and it is 185$ one way +65$ per adult one way.
Have you looked into the options to fly to Christchurch or Wellington in order to get closer to the wilder island ?
How much did you pay for the RV? can you recommend a company? I would probably go with a minvan like this, it is just the two of us. Do we have to camp at designated places? Is it safe to camp where we are when the night comes like anywhere where that happens?
We will probably plan to buy our own food instead of going to restaurants. We are not going to die if we eat sandwiches for 9 days :-)) We are outdoor persons, pretty much used with rough trips
Lots of crazy 💡
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
Here is a cost estimate:

http://thetradingtravelers.com/cost-of- ... amper-van/

Groceries 455 NZD 294 USD
Dining Out 284 NZD 183 USD
Campgrounds 387 NZD 250 USD
Laundry 20 NZD 13 USD
Entertainment 82 NZD 53 USD
Ferry: North to South Island 531 NZD 342 USD
Camper Van 916 NZD 591 USD
Fuel 365 NZD 236 USD
Total 3040 NZD 1962 USD
Lots of crazy 💡
Aug 29, 2017
563 posts
2032 upvotes
You may be able to get a flight ticket to NZ that includes one extra destination (usually within NZ, but sometimes even Sydney, AU is an option).

If you only go for one week, pick one island and forget the other. Seriously, there is enough to do on either island. Also, keep in mind that tourists outnumber residents 3:1 in all of the major cities.

I looked into RVing but it was more expensive than AirB&B. Keep in mind, your CC will likely not cover insurance on RVs/minivans!! RVing is tricky as many councils (municipalities) have now passed by-laws to ticket parked RVs outside of campsites. That being said, since I picked the AirB&B option, I'm not sure how strictly these are enforced. Oh, one more thing... DO NOT DRIVE A STANDARD!

As an avid outdoor person, be careful with trails. Some could be unsafe during bad weather. There is one trail close to Wellington (on Tasman Sea) that has been open for less than 18 months and 2 people have already died on it.
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
December is peak travel time for New Zealand, that is typically the time of year when prices are at their highest, as it's the nicest weather there. Combine that with the Christmas/New Years Factor, which makes it expensive to travel just about anywhere, and it'll be a real challenge to get a good deal if you plan to have any part of your flight between Dec 20 and Jan 8.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
yeah I have realized that by checking the prices
I think I will have to postpone till April or so
Lots of crazy 💡
Aug 29, 2017
563 posts
2032 upvotes
Not quite the time you were looking for but, they did just put on a special... you can also add one additional city in NZ!

Travel period: 5 Sep - 30 Nov 2017, 6 Feb - 20 Jun 2018
Sale ends: 18 Sep 2017
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
BuciMaci wrote: Not quite the time you were looking for but, they did just put on a special... you can also add one additional city in NZ!

Travel period: 5 Sep - 30 Nov 2017, 6 Feb - 20 Jun 2018
Sale ends: 18 Sep 2017
Where is the link? :-)
Lots of crazy 💡
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
Thank s you, that is a really good price
I will have to check the weather there ..I think it is not fantastic in February -April which will still be included in that promotion
Lots of crazy 💡
Aug 29, 2017
563 posts
2032 upvotes
Last time I went in February and it was still good (heat waves on south island). You may want to look around for single flights only... prices are about another $100 lower.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1928 posts
316 upvotes
East York, ON
BuciMaci wrote: Last time I went in February and it was still good (heat waves on south island). You may want to look around for single flights only... prices are about another $100 lower.
"Last time"?
Are you traveling regularly there ? ! :-)
Lots of crazy 💡
Aug 24, 2011
100 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
Check out some of the US carriers as well, as they sometimes have deals to New Zealand. We got our tickets for our trip last November for $700 each (but I suspect that was a one-time thing as American just launched the route). We did a loop from Auckland to Waitomo and then Rotorua, and then flew from Auckland to Christchurch and did a one-way rental to Queenstown. Since your time is tight, you might want to consider flying within New Zealand. Air New Zealands grab-a-seat site has tickets for $49 from Auckland to Christchurch. We used Airbnb a fair bit and stayed in some great homes with reasonable costs.

Some highlights for us:

Waitomo- exploring the caves (we did a zipline in the caves...)
Rotorua and area- all the geothermal activity
Akaroa- gorgeous scenery and spent the night at a Penguin reserve.
Mt Cook- scenery/hiking
Queenstown- scenery/loads of activities