• Nov 24th, 2022 10:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 2, 2007
56 posts
12 upvotes

Looking for tutor

Hello, anyone have suggestions for a tutor in grade 12 advance Math? What hour rate will it be? Any info will help. Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
2443 posts
1942 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
You try Khan Academy? Tutors are probably good in one of those 'I'm totally F'ed situations, unbury me'. But I guess in G12, you can't F around since those grades are going to unis.

Rough location and course would probably help those with more experience procuring tutors. There are like...at least 3 kinds of U/M math credits in Ontario. Everyone is guaranteed to suck at at least one of them.

I was too poor to ever tutors, so I have no idea how to go about getting them. In the East Coast, teachers would put their name on the school district list that a principal can just print out. I guess there are probably agencies that hire tutors as well, and hook you up with one.

I've un-F'ed people before (friends, informally), but I haven't managed to get them an A, just the credit they were failing that was holding up their graduation (bio/chem, statistics, economics). If it's one of those situations, you're best trying to target a teacher certified in the Senior Math division.

You'll want A's, with grade inflation, admission to competitive programs is getting tougher. And with scholarships, grades are money...Also with math, you don't want weak-spots since everything builds on each other. That's why you need someone good to localize the weak-spots so that they can tackle more advanced concepts. The location helps, because you'll have someone that knows the curriculum.

In the meantime, try Khan Academy, they're free, short, sweet, and targeted. They also have application quizzes.

I've seen people talk about tutors in the parents forum, they're like $40-50/hour for an OCT (Ontario). In the East Coast, I saw $20-$30?

You'll have better luck posting in the Parents forum. This board is dead. Probably inflation killing any prospects of students coming here for deals lol...

This guy saved some of our asses at Waterloo (more on the calc/precalc and stats side):
https://www.youtube.com/@ProfessorLeonard/playlists
Alt. Savings Vehicles Data/Discussion
(4.19% - 4.03%) high-interest-cash-etfs-4-19-4-03-cad-usd-2574002/
(3.65% - 3.20%) big-6-high-interest-cash-funds-accts-3- ... d-2579841/
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15270 posts
20580 upvotes
Vancouver
screamer00 wrote: Hello, anyone have suggestions for a tutor in grade 12 advance Math? What hour rate will it be? Any info will help. Thanks.
If you are looking for an in-person tutor, you really need to post your location. Canada is a big country and you could be in some faraway part of it like Toronto or Halifax for all we know.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2551 posts
2333 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
$30 - $50 an hour here or specialized math math tutoring programs.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1490 posts
1019 upvotes
Ripley
School is offering it for free. 5 days a week, 3 different times. Math, science, English. Whatever the kids need with teachers from the school. Check with the school.

In previous years I asked their teachers who they recommended. $25/half hour but that depends on where you live and was 3 years ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
2443 posts
1942 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Macx2mommy wrote: $30 - $50 an hour here or specialized math math tutoring programs.
Damn...cash? What province, if not the centre of the universe? $50 cash is more than I ever made in a corporate environment.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2551 posts
2333 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
ADenariusSaved wrote: Damn...cash? What province, if not the centre of the universe? $50 cash is more than I ever made in a corporate environment.
Lol.... I intentionally didn't put my province, but nope, in Cowtown AB. Cash would be somewhere between $25-35 an hour. My highschooler charges $20 and hour for younger grades. High school is more because there just less people that can tutor properly. My friend who is a high school teacher charges $40 an hour (cash). Agencies that do direct are usually about $50, but not cash. They take a cut. There's quite a range. I paid $20 an hour almost 30 years ago for university level math.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2020
2443 posts
1942 upvotes
Torontois @ 宇宙中心
Macx2mommy wrote: Cash would be somewhere between $25-35 an hour. My highschooler charges $20 and hour for younger grades. High school is more because there just less people that can tutor properly. My friend who is a high school teacher charges $40 an hour (cash). Agencies that do direct are usually about $50, but not cash. They take a cut. There's quite a range. I paid $20 an hour almost 30 years ago for university level math.
Oh sorry about that. You can remove your location if you wish. Thanks!
$40 cash is still pretty good, wonder if it's more for math/sci...Cash is cash. I can imagine it is more in the urban centers.

Yeah tutoring rates haven't moved a lot. One OCT teacher I knew was making $50/hour back in the 2000s, math/sci - this was in Toronto...And that was the rate he was getting working FOR someone that hooked him up with the clients.

With tutoring moving online, the travelling cost isn't as bad. For me, I was poor so I never had tutors (luckily never needed them), but I figured if I was a kid today, I'd just use Khan Academy.