• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2020 12:14 pm
[OP]
Jan 15, 2019
56 posts
60 upvotes

Looking for unicorn! Cheap, reliable, fuel mileage

Hi everyone,

Long story short, about a month ago I was been offered a pretty great opportunity with unfortunate circumstances.

I was offered a short-term (12-18 month) lucrative contract, but it’s a long drive from where I am at right now (120Km each way - 240 a day). Relocation is not an option.

I currently own a fairly pricy car and not prepared to put 60-70,000km on it this year.

I am looking for the cheapest, best MPG, reliable highway-road warrior available. I don’t care about bells/whistles, I don’t care about year.. I just want something that will last me 2-3 years minimum with this type of mileage, and that won’t break the bank on gas.

I considered a beige Corolla, but I feel that there could be something I’m missing.

tia!
99 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13513 posts
10359 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Model 3...
Feb 7, 2017
83 posts
60 upvotes
2005-2006 Nissan Altima. Can be had for 1500$ approx and is a decent highway commuter
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13784 upvotes
Oakville
All good answers so far, including the Corolla.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3987 posts
1738 upvotes
Toronto
username6 wrote: I considered a beige Corolla, but I feel that there could be something I’m missing.
You would need to tape a horn on the hood to make it a Unicorn.

On a more serious note. A general location might help. Suggestions for a snow belt would likely differ from the Wet Coast.
Is that 120 KM all 400 series highway? I know you said "highway-road warrior"

@ 2 hrs a day driving, comfort & safety should be part of the equation. They will take some stress out of your life.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2230 posts
1487 upvotes
Markham
If the vehicle is on the highway mostly, I actually think the Camry is better than the Corolla. Smoother, more comfortable and relaxing on a long journey. V6 further enhances the driving experience and actually isn't that bad on fuel for the highway.
MOBB416 wrote: 2005-2006 Nissan Altima. Can be had for 1500$ approx and is a decent highway commuter
On that car you definitely want the V6, the older 2.5L's butterfly valve problem is not something anybody wants to deal with especially far away from home.
Oct 1, 2015
429 posts
474 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Pick up a 10 year old Civic and you're set.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2019
56 posts
60 upvotes
JeganV wrote: If the vehicle is on the highway mostly, I actually think the Camry is better than the Corolla. Smoother, more comfortable and relaxing on a long journey. V6 further enhances the driving experience and actually isn't that bad on fuel for the highway.

On that car you definitely want the V6, the older 2.5L's butterfly valve problem is not something anybody wants to deal with especially far away from home.
No need for comfort! If this thing had stone seats I would be fine. I just want the cheapest and most fuel efficient.

Would a diesel be worth it? (Older golf tdi for example)
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3641 posts
951 upvotes
Montreal
Can you charge at work (for free)?
EV is better in your case but not the expensive model 3.
Get an used Nissan leaf charge at work, and home daily.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3053 posts
3163 upvotes
GTA
I had similar criteria, I settled on a 4-cyl Accord.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13513 posts
10359 upvotes
Richmond Hill
iownyou wrote: Can you charge at work (for free)?
EV is better in your case but not the expensive model 3.
Get an used Nissan leaf charge at work, and home daily.
Leaf isn’t going to get OP to work in winter with an older leaf... that pos has abysmal range to begin with and compound that with winter?!?!?

OP has a long commute and is looking at jalopies??? Wtf mate get your shit in order. An old pos is just that and if you’re ok with getting stranded at some point more power to you. 240kms daily is a lot time to be spent in a pos lol
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3641 posts
951 upvotes
Montreal
EP32k2 wrote: Leaf isn’t going to get OP to work in winter with an older leaf... that pos has abysmal range to begin with and compound that with winter?!?!?

OP has a long commute and is looking at jalopies??? Wtf mate get your shit in order. An old pos is just that and if you’re ok with getting stranded at some point more power to you. 240kms daily is a lot time to be spent in a pos lol
Did you even read OP? You mad bro....dunno why...maybe cos you are wrong...
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3641 posts
951 upvotes
Montreal
Leaf can get you to work on a single charge...you need to charge at work....
Don't get model 3. It's unreliable, it's definitely not cheap...
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13513 posts
10359 upvotes
Richmond Hill
iownyou wrote: Leaf can get you to work on a single charge...you need to charge at work....
Don't get model 3. It's unreliable, it's definitely not cheap...
Charge at work on LV1? Put the crack pipe down.