Looking to Upgrade my CPU

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2019 10:51 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
202 posts
111 upvotes

Looking to Upgrade my CPU

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU without upgrading my motherboard. I have a Intel i7 875k so I need a processor that is better and will fit the same LGA1156 socket/motherboard. Any recommendations?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1768 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
boqbal wrote: I'm looking to upgrade my CPU without upgrading my motherboard. I have a Intel i7 875k so I need a processor that is better and will fit the same LGA1156 socket/motherboard. Any recommendations?
The CPU you are using is the best you are going to get for that current gen system. That processor and motherboard are almost 10 years old. There is literally nothing to upgrade at this point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1156
The LGA 1156 and LGA 1366 sockets and processors were discontinued sometime in 2012,[4] having been superseded by the LGA 1155 and LGA 2011 respectively.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
202 posts
111 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote: The CPU you are using is the best you are going to get for that current gen system. That processor and motherboard are almost 10 years old. There is literally nothing to upgrade at this point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1156
Thats a bummer. Recently got back into gaming, specifically the new modern warfare and my CPU is having a hard time keeping up. Was trying to avoid getting a new system.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1768 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
boqbal wrote: Thats a bummer. Recently got back into gaming, specifically the new modern warfare and my CPU is having a hard time keeping up. Was trying to avoid getting a new system.
Yea, the system is too old to keep up. Even with a newer graphics card it will still be bottlenecked by the processor. You're only option at this point is to budget aside and try to build yourself at least a gaming PC, which can be done on the AMD Ryzen chipset, again depending how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2451 posts
1338 upvotes
1) That CPU is basically the best you can put on that platform.
2) Make sure that its not the video card that really needs the upgrading.... You can buy a modern/nice video card, trial it on that system, and if you need a CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade, then do that. A lot of people play games on similar performing hardware quite successfully even today.
3) Make sure you're using SSDs and Windows 10, of course.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
202 posts
111 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: 1) That CPU is basically the best you can put on that platform.
2) Make sure that its not the video card that really needs the upgrading.... You can buy a modern/nice video card, trial it on that system, and if you need a CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade, then do that. A lot of people play games on similar performing hardware quite successfully even today.
I am running an SSD and I have recently upgraded my graphics card to an RX 570 but during gameplay my CPU gets really close to 100% load and my 14 GB memory caps out. On top of that my computer has been running very unstable with the game crashing once in a while and windows crashing after waking up from sleep mode since I upgraded the video card. I suspect it's Windows 7 not cooperating and eating up a lot of my resources. So I was planning on doing a fresh windows 10 install but wanted to upgrade my CPU before doing so.

If I upgrade the motherboard then I might as well build a whole new system since the only thing new in my system is the GPU. This is something I'm trying to avoid since this system still serves me well and I'm not a big gamer anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1768 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
boqbal wrote: I am running an SSD and I have recently upgraded my graphics card to an RX 570 but during gameplay my CPU gets really close to 100% load and my 14 GB memory caps out. On top of that my computer has been running very unstable with the game crashing once in a while and windows crashing after waking up from sleep mode since I upgraded the video card. I suspect it's Windows 7 not cooperating and eating up a lot of my resources. So I was planning on doing a fresh windows 10 install but wanted to upgrade my CPU before doing so.

If I upgrade the motherboard then I might as well build a whole new system since the only thing new in my system is the GPU. This is something I'm trying to avoid since this system still serves me well and I'm not a big gamer anymore.
Yea, you can do a clean install of an O/S and see if that will make a difference, but at this point there is nothing else to upgrade since you have a video card and SSD so the CPU is the bottleneck which is not upgradable at this point. So you can either try a clean install, or keep this system around for older gaming other usage (retro PC with W7) and build a cheap-o gaming rig and just take the RX 570 with you in the new machine.

Of course you would need Mobo, CPU, RAM, Case, PSU, HDD and just use the RX570. But that's your call. You would have to decide how much to spend and how long you would want it future proof it. Otherwise not really many options for you at this point.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3108 posts
681 upvotes
See if there are still any cyber/black friday deals still going on... there were some very decent Ryzen deals for sure! Potentially full CPU+Mobo+ram upgrade for less than $300.
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
182 posts
188 upvotes
try W10 1st , I had way better luck with W10 (no crushing) then with W7 (was crushing from time to time)
new motto: Diversity is a great thing; but unity, unity, unity is Canada’s strength
by Rex Murphy
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
202 posts
111 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote: Yea, you can do a clean install of an O/S and see if that will make a difference, but at this point there is nothing else to upgrade since you have a video card and SSD so the CPU is the bottleneck which is not upgradable at this point. So you can either try a clean install, or keep this system around for older gaming other usage (retro PC with W7) and build a cheap-o gaming rig and just take the RX 570 with you in the new machine.

Of course you would need Mobo, CPU, RAM, Case, PSU, HDD and just use the RX570. But that's your call. You would have to decide how much to spend and how long you would want it future proof it. Otherwise not really many options for you at this point.
Maybe I should switch out my memory? I'm not even sure how I achieved the 14 GB RAM Im currently running. Seems like an odd number. Any recommendation on RAM that would fit my motherboard? Or do you think I shouldn't even bother with that? Maybe windows 10 will solve my RAM problem.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
202 posts
111 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: 1) That CPU is basically the best you can put on that platform.
Also Im having trouble utilizing my SSD advertised speed of 500 mb/s read/write. I only get about 200 mb/s read write, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Its connected to the 6gb/s port on the motherboard.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
202 posts
111 upvotes
Found this on ebay: eBay...

Thinking of grabbing 4x 8GB sticks at 1600 mhz speed for $95 USD. What do you guys think?

Or would 1866 mhz speed ram work too? The motherboard manufacturer website doesnt mention that speed. This is what it mentions: "Dual-Channel DDR3 2200(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066 support"
Last edited by boqbal on Dec 3rd, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10285 posts
6533 upvotes
Edmonton
boqbal wrote: Found this on ebay: eBay...

Thinking of grabbing 4x 8GB sticks at 1600 mhz speed for $95 USD. What do you guys think?
I'm thinking save your money for a complete CPU/RAM/MB upgrade, as it would be wasted when you find out your CPU is still the bottleneck.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1728 posts
795 upvotes
London
boqbal wrote: Found this on ebay: eBay...

Or would 1866 mhz speed ram work too? The motherboard manufacturer website doesnt mention that speed. This is what it mentions: "Dual-Channel DDR3 2200(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066 support"
ud be wasting your money upgrading ram will do nothing for u. just save up and get a new mobo cpu and ram look into ryzen u can get alot more for your money
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
202 posts
111 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: ud be wasting your money upgrading ram will do nothing for u. just save up and get a new mobo cpu and ram look into ryzen u can get alot more for your money
Why do you say it will do nothing from me? I keep getting error messages from windows while gaming that my memory is fully utilized so I believe upgrading the RAM will solve this problem?