• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2020 7:41 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2014
778 posts
202 upvotes
London

Looking for UPS for both Modem/router & PC

Now that people are working & studying home,the power outage is an issue.
Looking for a mini UPS for my modem & router that sits in another floor and another UPS for my desktop PC,in another floor,that has 24 inches monitor,but moderate hardware(working desktop,not gaming).
Any thoughts?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6689 posts
1334 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
You first need to decide a few things.
How long of a power outage do you expect.
Do you want the UPS to just provide enough power to save your work and shut the computer down or do you actually want to continue using it during the power failure.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2014
778 posts
202 upvotes
London
krs wrote: How long of a power outage do you expect.
It depends.Mostly,it is instant and sometimes up to five minutes.In rare occasions,it took between half an hour to an hour.The problem is that you cannot predict which one may come next!
krs wrote: Do you want the UPS to just provide enough power to save your work and shut the computer down or do you actually want to continue using it during the power failure.
For my router & modem,it needs two minutes to be up and running again.For my PC,I believe between half an hour to an hour would suffice.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1680 posts
1366 upvotes
Montreal
esfandiyar2002 wrote: It depends.Mostly,it is instant and sometimes up to five minutes.In rare occasions,it took between half an hour to an hour.The problem is that you cannot predict which one may come next!

For my router & modem,it needs two minutes to be up and running again.For my PC,I believe between half an hour to an hour would suffice.
My router/cable modem plugged in a APC 600va. Works up to 2hrs.

If you want half to an hour of use with a desktop pc, hope you are ready to invest a lot of money because most consumer UPS can do max 15mins of battery time.

You should invest in a laptop.
Last edited by elpaso on Sep 16th, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 1, 2009
569 posts
244 upvotes
West coast
Investing in a ups is better. Ensure its a double conversion type rather than modified square wave or line interactive.

Also make sure you change the batteries every two or three years.

You probably don't need something bigger than a 1000va/800w unless you plug in most items.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36020 posts
22163 upvotes
Center of Universe
WFH?
Request a laptop from your employer.