• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2020 5:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1025 posts
868 upvotes

Looking for washer recommendations

We had our 8 year old $1500 Samsung front-load washer die on us on Sunday. Samsung has offered to cover the parts but we're on the hook for the labour. After talking to a couple of repair companies, it looks like that will mean about a $400-$600 repair bill, which to me is too much to put into an 8 year old washer. We're looking to purchase a new one and could use some thoughts on what a good brand is. We're not going to buy another Samsung, and I've had some very bad experiences with LG, so apart from those two brands, does anyone have any recommendations? Costco has this one, and so far that's the leader for us due to the warranty and free delivery and take-away.
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5164 posts
592 upvotes
Just get a cheap ass one without the fancy functions. $1500 fancy pants one lasted you 8 years. Even if a cheap ass $9xxl. I've heard that the fancier it is, the more that can go wrong. Especially those electronic circuit boards they have. Like we're not buying something complicated like a computer. It fills it with water, dispenses detergent, then sloshes it around.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5315 posts
2346 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I have one to sell you. My GE front loader. It was designed as a front loader using all the controls (manual probably electro mechanical dial with all the usual cycles) of an old-fashioned top loader. Probably will last a long time.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13349 posts
2250 upvotes
City of Vancouver
thriftshopper wrote: I have one to sell you. My GE front loader. It was designed as a front loader using all the controls (manual probably electro mechanical dial with all the usual cycles) of an old-fashioned top loader. Probably will last a long time.
R u in Vancouver?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5315 posts
2346 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Becks wrote: R u in Vancouver?
No, and I only make it in jest. Hope I won't have to replace the washer for a long time as we will have to replace the dryer too (stacks, and we so rarely use it) and are ridiculously space-limited in a fairly-large house.

The other thing I like about it is the simple lock feature: Just turn off/stop the washer (press knob in or pull it out?) and you can open the door even in mid wash. Door can be opened as soon as the cycle ends.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15178 posts
12326 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Very happy with our Maytag HE all stainless interior top loader
And matching steam dryer

Top of the line when we bought it about 10 years ago
(At Sears Home ... Back then)

All the great features of the HE Front Loaders
But without any of the headaches they tend to have
Plus all the flexibility that a top loader gives

Not cheap
But it’s never given us a minute of trouble
And it’s a workhorse ... runs at least once a day
Be it a big load (Bulky) or small (including small delicate loads)

But then we take good care of it
And are RELIGIOUS about running a Clean Washer Cycle at least once a month
To get rid of any crud build up (soap scum)

First washer we’ve had that has this requirement
Doing it RELIGIOUSLY has paid off
Washer looks brand new

I think a lot of folks don’t do this monthly cleaning
And then they run into issues

PS ... good call on skipping LG & Samsung
Stick to something made here in NA
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1737 posts
878 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
No attempt at fixing it yourself? Washers and dryers are very simple machines. I replaced the door seal on mine a couple of weeks ago as it was worn and leaking. I replaced the dryer belt a couple of years ago.

Most of the Samsung parts are very easy to find and there's lots of aftermarket suppliers if you don't want to pay OEM prices.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19924 posts
4506 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I'm also interested in this. Any comments on Miele / Bosch reliability?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5515 posts
3820 upvotes
2 months ago our 24 years old washer died. Tried to repair myself, $25 part, but have broke the pump trying to unmount it...

After family, friends and Consumer Report recommendation, we went with LG WT7300CW washer, and LG DLEX7250W dryer at Costco. I been lucky, there was a promotion where they both had $100 OFF, and another 10% above the $200 wihen you purchased the kit. So far we are happy with those. Costco takes care of the delivery, installation, and get you rid of you old appliances as well, all this included in the online price. They also offer 2 years warranty compared to other resellers who offer 1 year, and a 90 days satisfaction warranty.

You may not be lucky as me, as you are in a rush to buy and I don't know if there is any decent promotions right now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1025 posts
868 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Very happy with our Maytag HE all stainless interior top loader
And matching steam dryer

Top of the line when we bought it about 10 years ago
(At Sears Home ... Back then)

All the great features of the HE Front Loaders
But without any of the headaches they tend to have
Plus all the flexibility that a top loader gives

Not cheap
But it’s never given us a minute of trouble
And it’s a workhorse ... runs at least once a day
Be it a big load (Bulky) or small (including small delicate loads)

But then we take good care of it
And are RELIGIOUS about running a Clean Washer Cycle at least once a month
To get rid of any crud build up (soap scum)

First washer we’ve had that has this requirement
Doing it RELIGIOUSLY has paid off
Washer looks brand new

I think a lot of folks don’t do this monthly cleaning
And then they run into issues

PS ... good call on skipping LG & Samsung
Stick to something made here in NA
Thanks for this. I'm looking at Maytag and Electrolux and will definitely give preference to whichever is made in NA.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1025 posts
868 upvotes
caltran wrote: No attempt at fixing it yourself? Washers and dryers are very simple machines. I replaced the door seal on mine a couple of weeks ago as it was worn and leaking. I replaced the dryer belt a couple of years ago.

Most of the Samsung parts are very easy to find and there's lots of aftermarket suppliers if you don't want to pay OEM prices.
Actually thats where I'm at right now. I did the rollers on the dryer last year, took about 4 hours start to finish, but this is a bigger job and its on a machine that handles water under pressure, so needs to be done absolutely right if I want to be able to trust it. IF the part is the one I suspect, I have to tear the whole thing apart to get at it to confirm, and if I'm right it's 3-5 days to get it (while leaving the machine disassembled in the mud room) and about $250 to buy. A lot cheaper than getting it fixed but still putting $$ into an 8 year old unit. In the meantime I'm gathering opinions on a replacement. So far the Costco unit is leading but there's a really nice Electrolux that we like too at CanadianAppliances & TA Appliances.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1737 posts
878 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Tapout123 wrote: Actually thats where I'm at right now. I did the rollers on the dryer last year, took about 4 hours start to finish, but this is a bigger job and its on a machine that handles water under pressure, so needs to be done absolutely right if I want to be able to trust it. IF the part is the one I suspect, I have to tear the whole thing apart to get at it to confirm, and if I'm right it's 3-5 days to get it (while leaving the machine disassembled in the mud room) and about $250 to buy. A lot cheaper than getting it fixed but still putting $$ into an 8 year old unit. In the meantime I'm gathering opinions on a replacement. So far the Costco unit is leading but there's a really nice Electrolux that we like too at CanadianAppliances & TA Appliances.
The way I look at it is I can spend new and I'm fixing it anyways in a few years. And washer/dryer technology has hardly advanced in the last 60 years or so.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15178 posts
12326 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Tapout123 wrote: Actually thats where I'm at right now. I did the rollers on the dryer last year, took about 4 hours start to finish, but this is a bigger job and its on a machine that handles water under pressure, so needs to be done absolutely right if I want to be able to trust it. IF the part is the one I suspect, I have to tear the whole thing apart to get at it to confirm, and if I'm right it's 3-5 days to get it (while leaving the machine disassembled in the mud room) and about $250 to buy. A lot cheaper than getting it fixed but still putting $$ into an 8 year old unit. In the meantime I'm gathering opinions on a replacement. So far the Costco unit is leading but there's a really nice Electrolux that we like too at CanadianAppliances & TA Appliances.
Research / Read up on Canadian Appliance Source ... BEFORE you commit
(GOOGLE or use RFD to SEARCH for threads)

There are definitely better places to buy from
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1025 posts
868 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: 2 months ago our 24 years old washer died. Tried to repair myself, $25 part, but have broke the pump trying to unmount it...

After family, friends and Consumer Report recommendation, we went with LG WT7300CW washer, and LG DLEX7250W dryer at Costco. I been lucky, there was a promotion where they both had $100 OFF, and another 10% above the $200 wihen you purchased the kit. So far we are happy with those. Costco takes care of the delivery, installation, and get you rid of you old appliances as well, all this included in the online price. They also offer 2 years warranty compared to other resellers who offer 1 year, and a 90 days satisfaction warranty.

You may not be lucky as me, as you are in a rush to buy and I don't know if there is any decent promotions right now.
It's impressive that you were able to source a part for a 24 year old washer. Shame you had an issue with the install. It took me two hours and lots of swearing, but I got my washer disassembled last night and confirmed the part that went is the support arm assembly, or Spider arm. It's $180 for the part and $5 each for the 6 bolts that hold it in. After much discussion, we've decided to try the repair. I'm fighting with Samsung right now to get them to comp me the part as they had initially agreed to pay for the parts if I would pay for the labour on the repair. They are currently insisting that the repair has to be done through a service centre but I have pictures of the broken part. We'll see what happens.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5515 posts
3820 upvotes
Tapout123 wrote: It's impressive that you were able to source a part for a 24 year old washer. Shame you had an issue with the install. It took me two hours and lots of swearing, but I got my washer disassembled last night and confirmed the part that went is the support arm assembly, or Spider arm. It's $180 for the part and $5 each for the 6 bolts that hold it in. After much discussion, we've decided to try the repair. I'm fighting with Samsung right now to get them to comp me the part as they had initially agreed to pay for the parts if I would pay for the labour on the repair. They are currently insisting that the repair has to be done through a service centre but I have pictures of the broken part. We'll see what happens.
Wish you better luck than me with your repair! Now that I have thrown away an old 24 years washer(this was the first one I bought) I do not expect my new one to last as long. Come back to us with an updated on Samsung's decision
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1737 posts
878 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Tapout123 wrote: It's impressive that you were able to source a part for a 24 year old washer. Shame you had an issue with the install. It took me two hours and lots of swearing, but I got my washer disassembled last night and confirmed the part that went is the support arm assembly, or Spider arm. It's $180 for the part and $5 each for the 6 bolts that hold it in. After much discussion, we've decided to try the repair. I'm fighting with Samsung right now to get them to comp me the part as they had initially agreed to pay for the parts if I would pay for the labour on the repair. They are currently insisting that the repair has to be done through a service centre but I have pictures of the broken part. We'll see what happens.
Why even bother with Samsung? Just get the part online or the multitude of places that sell OEM/aftermarket parts in your area.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5515 posts
3820 upvotes
caltran wrote: Why even bother with Samsung? Just get the part online or the multitude of places that sell OEM/aftermarket parts in your area.
Hey, we're on RFD! If he can manage Samsung to provide him the part for free, why not?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14272 posts
8710 upvotes
Toronto
Maytag owner here. The only recommendation that I can offer is to get something that has easy obtainable parts. Avoid anything with heavy doses of electronics if possible and any euro fancy units.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1209 posts
1230 upvotes
West GTA
I got a high-end electrolux, it's so far been very reliable, cleans clothes wonderfully, has fairly large capacity and is very quiet and easy to use. It has more options than I need, but was rated highly for build quality and does feel solidly built. Frankly, I still think it'll break in a decade but I'll baby it and hope.