• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2019 8:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50603 posts
15370 upvotes

Looking for Water Softener and Reverse Osmosis package

A friend is looking and was quoted $5k for both including installation, which sounds expensive. They have 3.5 baths and there's just five of them in the household.

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?dep ... se+osmosis

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?dep ... r+softener

They want them installed but was wondering what are some good brands to consider for the softener as well as the RO? I think I will be replacing my RO unit soon too

Thank you.
10 replies
Mar 7, 2008
436 posts
104 upvotes
Leask
I did a lot of research on softener and I end up with Fleck 5600 SXT. Been working good!

I had the one from Costco in my previous house and it was not good... water will still soft for short period of time and just overall inconsistent. The fleck system is very consistent in my mind and is one of the most reliable controller in the market.

I use culligan RO... expensive but does seem to work reliability. If I were to start over again, will probably buy one of those RO kit from Costco.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
50603 posts
15370 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 12:15 pm
I did a lot of research on softener and I end up with Fleck 5600 SXT. Been working good!

I had the one from Costco in my previous house and it was not good... water will still soft for short period of time and just overall inconsistent. The fleck system is very consistent in my mind and is one of the most reliable controller in the market.

I use culligan RO... expensive but does seem to work reliability. If I were to start over again, will probably buy one of those RO kit from Costco.
Does $5k seem like overkill?
Jan 10, 2005
410 posts
130 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 12:26 pm
Does $5k seem like overkill?
For a lot of things...

i second the Fleck though (or any of it's clones), probably the best long term buy you can get. Don't have RO unit (tap water is not that bad here, only needs a carbon filter), but i would think you could do much better than 5k. Not buying/renting from Culligan, for one.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14211 posts
3553 upvotes
London
https://www.aquatell.ca/
Sells online from Canada,
Get a plumber to install

Fleck is a manufacturer on one of the parts in the softener (control valve). Companies like Aquatell put together the parts (tanks, resin, control valve, etc) to sell to end users

It's kind of like by a lawnmower with a Honda engine. The quality of an MTD mower might not be the same as a Toro mower, even though they both use the same honda engine
Nov 30, 2011
953 posts
357 upvotes
GTA
I put in the Watts Premier 5-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System from costoc.ca.
It frequently goes on sale a few times a year for $50 off. I got mine for $169.

It was a fairly easy DIY install.
May 9, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
Can anyone recommend a licensed plumber around Durham that installs water softeners and under sink filters? Got a quote from a plumbing company and it was around $1000. I don’t really know if that’s about average or too much. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2003
1180 posts
24 upvotes
westcoastyvr wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 1:06 pm
I put in the Watts Premier 5-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System from costoc.ca.
Any problems with it so far? The reviews on Costco.ca are fairly old and some people talked about leaks. I am contemplating this set or the Brondell that’s also sold by Costco.
Nov 30, 2011
953 posts
357 upvotes
GTA
microBe wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2019 12:04 pm
Any problems with it so far? The reviews on Costco.ca are fairly old and some people talked about leaks. I am contemplating this set or the Brondell that’s also sold by Costco.
No issues. Make sure you change the filters as needed. I have had mine in for 2 years.
If you are looking at the Watts wait for it to go on sale.