• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 6:20 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2011
93 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Looking for wifi extender

Due to my router been is in the basement, my laptop, tv and phone upstairs wireless connections are struggling
i have 50/fiber speed and I'm looking for a good cheap wifi extender.
Any advise please?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3603 posts
948 upvotes
If your router and tv are somewhat on opposite ends between the 2 floors a wifi extender may not be effective. If the basement is unfinished why not just run a cable up to your tv?

If finished then look into ethernet over powerline or repurpose a old router with third-party firmware like ddwrt.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16616 posts
2318 upvotes
maximius wrote: Due to my router been is in the basement, my laptop, tv and phone upstairs wireless connections are struggling
i have 50/fiber speed and I'm looking for a good cheap wifi extender.
Any advise please?

If you do get an extender, make sure it's dual radio.

I recommend you get a WiFi mesh system or a powerline extender. If buying powerline, get it from a place with a good return policy, how well powerline works depends on the wiring in your house.
Jan 20, 2013
477 posts
81 upvotes
Woodbridge
JonSnow wrote: If your router and tv are somewhat on opposite ends between the 2 floors a wifi extender may not be effective. If the basement is unfinished why not just run a cable up to your tv?

If finished then look into ethernet over powerline or repurpose a old router with third-party firmware like ddwrt.
It sounds like you consider ddwrt useful with an old router only.
I myself not even buying a router if it is not compatible with ddwrt and right after a quick test it is getting a new soul.

FOR OP. Powerline adapters are great but in my experience the wifi is not very strong of the powerline adapter. Yes, mesh system is good and $$$, but if you could setup a WDS, what on ddwrt works great if the hardware allows, would be even better.
So, your options IMO:
1. powerline with wifi on the receiver part.
2. powerline and AP on the second floor.
3. wds. your router and AP should be wds compatible and communication between the router and AP through powerline.
But if you could run a wire - nothing faster and more reliable.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10517 posts
2879 upvotes
Winnipeg
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used used by amazon warehouse means a return.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

thats only 433 ac = 215 split or 300 for 2.4ghz since ac does the backhaul. But most clients are only 150/433 ac anyway.

these both have amps too. So your better served not putting it too close and make sure ac does the backhaul and 2.4ghz is on a separate channel from main which means 1,6, or 11.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6008 posts
1301 upvotes
Montreal
Take a look at the weekly Costco thread. They were liquidating a D-Link extender recently. I believe they still are.
Phils
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2417 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto
Can you move the modem and router to the main floor? That would make more sense since all of your devices will be situated around the 1st floor. I just did that and I'm getting better reception and speeds everywhere. It just occurred to me to move mine from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor like 2 weeks ago after having been using my Internet for 6 years just because my desktop is on the 2nd floor.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3603 posts
948 upvotes
vnkvnk wrote: It sounds like you consider ddwrt useful with an old router only.
I myself not even buying a router if it is not compatible with ddwrt and right after a quick test it is getting a new soul.
If a router does not support third party firmware it does not get purchased DDWRT for life.