• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 8:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1290 posts
77 upvotes

Looking for a wifi range extender

The signal in our backyard is weak and we would like to extend it. Someone recommended the model below. Is this a good extender or is there something better? I am not sure what to look for...thx

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Extender- ... 04695&th=1
Last edited by boneca on Sep 1st, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
41 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11179 posts
3540 upvotes
Winnipeg
depends on the yard of course and where you could position the device. But your link is strictly only for indoors. So it can't be exposed to the elements;

But these will work too and half the money

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... BRIGYRJ3Q8
https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Extender- ... als&sr=8-3

as for refurb warehouse etc....I only buy refurbs when dealing with networking and have so for years no problems. Amazon accepts returns too on them.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28456 posts
14015 upvotes
Range extenders as a rule suck.

The better option is to hardware a 2nd access point.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: Range extenders as a rule suck.

Might be fine unless the current AP is as close to outside as possible w/o being outside.

If you do get a wi-fi extended, get one that is dual frequency. Set the repeater so that is uses only one frequency (say 5 Ghz) to communicate with the router/primary wi-fi and uses the other (e.g., 2.4GHz) for device use. This should increase the throughput. Take inside the house when done (save you power).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28456 posts
14015 upvotes
Side note: Also looking for extended wives. Face With Tears Of Joy
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1290 posts
1214 upvotes
ON
I certainly don’t want a wife range extender. In fact, shorter the better Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35164 posts
8575 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
death_hawk wrote: Range extenders as a rule suck.

I was about the say the same thing.

An alternate option, is to get an access point and position it in a basement window towards the backyard.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4992 posts
3135 upvotes
Mesh > everything else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28456 posts
14015 upvotes
Holystone wrote: I certainly don’t want a wife range extender. In fact, shorter the better Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
I also choose this guy's wife.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28456 posts
14015 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Mesh > everything else.
But
Wired > mesh
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35164 posts
8575 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Consumer mesh suck. Period.

Unless you have a wired back haul and build a mesh with a controller. I would consider this ROAMing instead of mesh. But everyone calls it mesh
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1290 posts
77 upvotes
Holystone wrote: I certainly don’t want a wife range extender. In fact, shorter the better Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye

Lol thanks. Fixed it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28456 posts
14015 upvotes
bhrm wrote: You don't want wires in the backyard.
Not dangling from a tree, but buried with an access point hiding somewhere?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: Not dangling from a tree, but buried with an access point hiding somewhere?
Humidity/moisture and electronics generally don't mix together very well.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28456 posts
14015 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Humidity/moisture and electronics generally don't mix together very well.
That's why you don't put an indoor rated thing outdoors.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
death_hawk wrote: That's why you don't put an indoor rated thing outdoors.
There are outdoor-rated APs but the question is how much?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28456 posts
14015 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: There are outdoor-rated APs but the question is how much?
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-US
$120-140 depending on where you get it.
Sameish price as regular Unifis.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11179 posts
3540 upvotes
Winnipeg
I paid 75 for an eap225 out door. But you don't use these in the city. If you can pick up your ssid good bars blocks away your an a-hole.

I'm sure his neighbors love him and wonder why theres congestion.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1986 posts
333 upvotes
COU
I have an RE650 and I am unimpressed.

It did help a little bit to switch bands when the local bandwidth hog was still in the neighbourhood but it is hard to position to get a good signal. The plug in to the wall socket profile looks convenient but it really isn't.

A strange benefit is that the bus stop is a couple of blocks away and line of sight to my apartment and I can still connect :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)