• Nov 8th, 2020 2:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19282 posts
2098 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Looking for wild rice

I’ve never had wild rice before. I’ve seen them mixed with other grains in the smaller packages. Is it harmful to eat all wild rice? I have honestly never seen them sold a package of just wild rice anywhere. Not in Asian stores or the usual places I visit except for the aforementioned mixed variety.

Is it a super food? I see amazon sells a 10 lb bag for over $100!

Organic Wild Rice, 10 Pounds - Long Black Whole Grain, Non-GMO, Kosher, Raw, Vegan, Bulk

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073WXZ4PT/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
24 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11156 posts
13713 upvotes
Vancouver
Supercooled wrote: I’ve never had wild rice before. I’ve seen them mixed with other grains in the smaller packages. Is it harmful to eat all wild rice? I have honestly never seen them sold a package of just wild rice anywhere. Not in Asian stores or the usual places I visit except for the aforementioned mixed variety.

Is it a super food? I see amazon sells a 10 lb bag for over $100!

Organic Wild Rice, 10 Pounds - Long Black Whole Grain, Non-GMO, Kosher, Raw, Vegan, Bulk

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073WXZ4PT/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Famous Foods on Kingsway has long-grain wild rice in smaller packs.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6379 posts
1542 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I buy mine from costco. I mix it with regular white rice, among others like basmati and quinoa. Wild rice alone would be too tough to chew
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6449 posts
2903 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
yesstyle wrote: I buy mine from costco. I mix it with regular white rice, among others like basmati and quinoa. Wild rice alone would be too tough to chew
You're cooking it wrong. Needs to be cooked for 40 min which is 2x as long as Jasmine and 4x as long s Basmati.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6379 posts
1542 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thriftshopper wrote: You're cooking it wrong. Needs to be cooked for 40 min which is 2x as long as Jasmine and 4x as long s Basmati.
i've never cooked wild rice by itself. We are just adding it to our jasmine rice to make it healthier.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6449 posts
2903 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
yesstyle wrote: i've never cooked wild rice by itself. We are just adding it to our jasmine rice to make it healthier.
Need to boil/simmer to for 40 mins IIRC. It'll be way too undercooked if you are trying to cook it same time as Jasmine (20 mins) which is why you find it so tough.

If you want healthier, unpolished jasmine would be better (not that I like unpolished rice either) and almost just as good as "wild rice" (it isn't a rice - related at the family level) but also, IIRC, takes longer to cook.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Aug 26, 2019
332 posts
352 upvotes
The6ix
thriftshopper wrote: Need to boil/simmer to for 40 mins IIRC. It'll be way too undercooked if you are trying to cook it same time as Jasmine (20 mins) which is why you find it so tough.

If you want healthier, unpolished jasmine would be better (not that I like unpolished rice either) and almost just as good as "wild rice" (it isn't a rice - related at the family level) but also, IIRC, takes longer to cook.
Jasmine takes 5-8 mins lol
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
There are some Canadian companies you can order it from directly. I have some in the mail. More expensive than amazon but right from the producer.

I bought it because I want to eat more rice but not more arsenic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6449 posts
2903 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
OAlton wrote: Jasmine takes 5-8 mins lol
Must be different from what I buy and cook, then.
Aug 26, 2019
332 posts
352 upvotes
The6ix
thriftshopper wrote: Must be different from what I buy and cook, then.
I've tried 15 kinds of Jasmine Rice and I find the best way to cook it is 1:1, bring up to boil . Boil intensely for 1 minute (covered) and steam for 5-8 mins on very low. turn off keep lid on until you want to it. longer its covered and off heat the better.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6449 posts
2903 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
OAlton wrote: I've tried 15 kinds of Jasmine Rice and I find the best way to cook it is 1:1, bring up to boil . Boil intensely for 1 minute (covered) and steam for 5-8 mins on very low. turn off keep lid on until you want to it. longer its covered and off heat the better.
Looks like you like yours on the drier, al dente side (which is fine - great for making fried rice which requires dry, cooked rice). I like mine cooked a bit more (what I grew up with) and with more water which is simmered after brought to boil for ~15 mins and 5 mins on residual heat. If cooking it on a stove top, turn it off as son as the steam disappears (a rice cooker will know as the bottom temp rises above 100C).
May 28, 2012
11339 posts
3561 upvotes
Saskatoon
Canoes4Fun wrote: There are some Canadian companies you can order it from directly. I have some in the mail. More expensive than amazon but right from the producer.

I bought it because I want to eat more rice but not more arsenic.
Wild rice isn't really rice...it's an aquatic grass. I haven't had it in years but I should look into buying some. It was expensive even back then, so would usually buy it as a blend.
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: Wild rice isn't really rice...it's an aquatic grass. I haven't had it in years but I should look into buying some. It was expensive even back then, so would usually buy it as a blend.
Agreed it’s not really rice. But it is called rice 🤷‍♀️. Nonetheless, I bought it because it can act as rice in recipes and doesn’t have arsenic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6449 posts
2903 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Canoes4Fun wrote: I bought it because it can act as rice in recipes and doesn’t have arsenic.
Do you know that for a fact? Plants have a nasty habit of taking up minerals where they grow. I guess if "wild rice" country is low in As, so will the seeds.
Mar 22, 2020
382 posts
247 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Do you know that for a fact? Plants have a nasty habit of taking up minerals where they grow. I guess if "wild rice" country is low in As, so will the seeds.
My understanding is that most plants other than rice don’t pick up much/ any arsenic as compared to rice and this includes wild rice. However your question made me look into it and there seems to be a lack of consensus on this. Some FDA research says Wild Rice has as much arsenic as other rice.

The type of rice I eat (other than wild rice) is California Brown Balsmati. It is recommended for being lower than other options.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9613 posts
3885 upvotes
Toronto
I boil rice in a big pot of boiling water like pasta. Quick, easy, and gets rid of most of the arsenic. Soaking it overnight and rinsing before cooking helps as well.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.