• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 8:50 am
[OP]
Aug 14, 2020
178 posts
165 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Looking for a Windows laptop for work, travel, photo editing

I'm looking for a replacement for my 9 year old Lenovo ThinkPad which getting old and heating up. I want to edit photos but need more RAM (8GB maxed out now) and a better video card.

I use a second screen for work, and for this purpose it actually still works ok.

I'd like 16GB, 500GB - 1TB SSD, a quality build, light enough to travel, 14-15", preferably slim. I don't care which brand, as long as it's Windows.

I know this leaves it pretty open, so what can I get for $12-1500 that will last?
I'd consider a business machine or a gaming machine, I don't care too much what it looks like. Function over form in this instance!

Thanks!
_

Getting a mortgage is like writing a test...except you're allowed to work with someone who knows the answers!

Kirby Reschny
Mortgage Agent
Real Mortgage Associates (FSRA #10464)
3 replies
Dec 6, 2020
447 posts
423 upvotes
I'm not sure if you can get something suitable for photo editing for $1500. The industry has chosen to make laptops at that price point unusable for graphics work by only selling screens with extremely limited color gamuts. The bare minimum for photo editing is 100% sRGB coverage but every laptop I've seen lately for under $2000 offers 75% sRGB or worse, meaning that the screens can't display dark reds or dark blues. Worse, the manufacturers have largely stopped publishing color gamut specifications, so you have no idea what you're buying until you turn it on and discover that reds look pink.

If photo editing is essential for you, you probably will need something like an up-configured Dell Precision 3550 or an Asus Zenbook Pro, at a price point of $2000-$3000.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8172 posts
2806 upvotes
Maple
There is no laptop that fits your needs, requirements in that budget!
[OP]
Aug 14, 2020
178 posts
165 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
middleofnowhere wrote: I'm not sure if you can get something suitable for photo editing for $1500. The industry has chosen to make laptops at that price point unusable for graphics work by only selling screens with extremely limited color gamuts. The bare minimum for photo editing is 100% sRGB coverage but every laptop I've seen lately for under $2000 offers 75% sRGB or worse, meaning that the screens can't display dark reds or dark blues. Worse, the manufacturers have largely stopped publishing color gamut specifications, so you have no idea what you're buying until you turn it on and discover that reds look pink.

If photo editing is essential for you, you probably will need something like an up-configured Dell Precision 3550 or an Asus Zenbook Pro, at a price point of $2000-$3000.
OK, thanks for the reply - I do have a second monitor and I'd typically use it for all photos because it's larger anyway. I never knew how marginal my laptop screen was until I bought a second monitor! I don't even know the screen specs on that monitor, so I'll check that out. I hadn't given the screen of the laptop much thought, I was more concerned with 1) processing and 2) portability (distant second). Photography is a hobby only, but I appreciate that if I'm going to do any editing, I might as well start with the right tools.
_

Getting a mortgage is like writing a test...except you're allowed to work with someone who knows the answers!

Kirby Reschny
Mortgage Agent
Real Mortgage Associates (FSRA #10464)