Looking for by the year prepaid Mobile Plans

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 3:54 pm
May 22, 2015
57 posts
22 upvotes

Looking for by the year prepaid Mobile Plans

Hi,

I am currently with Rogers yearly prepaid which includes the following "UNLIMITED Evening and Weekend Local Calling + UNLIMITED Texting", the current annual rate is $180 per year, my yearly prepaid plan expires at the end of June, would you know other mobile providers in Canada that offer yearly prepaid plans and include some data?

I found Freedom Mobile which offers a $99 dollar plan with unlimited text and calling nationwide with no data or they're unlimited Text+Calling nationwide with some data included 5GB per year at $199.
8 replies
Jun 2, 2010
703 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
canuck698 wrote: I found Freedom Mobile which offers a $99 dollar plan with unlimited text and calling nationwide with no data or they're unlimited Text+Calling nationwide with some data included 5GB per year at $199.
The $99 Freedom Mobile plan has data add-ons:

1) 1GB Freedom Nationwide, $15 for 30 days,
2) 1GB Freedom Nationwide + U.S., $20 for 30 days,
3) 5GB Freedom Pass only on the Home network, $20 for 30 days.
Now: TELUS Unlimited 120GB 5G+ (up to 2Gbps) x 2 = 240 GB shared data
Old: Rogers Infinite Premium 5G+ (up to 1Gbps) Canada+US 100 GB x 2 + 15 GB bonus = 215 GB shared
May 22, 2015
57 posts
22 upvotes
The problem with Freedom for me is that it is not compatible with my Lenovo A5 16GB global model smart phone on their network.
May 22, 2015
57 posts
22 upvotes
Amourek wrote: How much calling do you do? Public Mobile has a $15/mo plan ($13 with autopay discount) with 100 mins and unlimited incoming plus 250MB of data.
I prefer an annual plan paid upfront for a year.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
canuck698 wrote: I prefer an annual plan paid upfront for a year.
Well the plan price is locked in as long you don't change it and you could prepay a year's worth into your balance and not have to worry about monthly payments.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
Amourek wrote: Well the plan price is locked in as long you don't change it and you could prepay a year's worth into your balance and not have to worry about monthly payments.
Yes, that is an important distinction between some of the modern 3rd-tier providers and older prepaid services. You aren't left purchasing balances that will expire in 30 or 60 days, and trying to time it on the last day to top up so that your expiry time isn't premature. Newer ones like Public Mobile and Lucky Mobile (maybe Chatr too?) have a credit system that deducts on schedule. You can prepay at any time.
Apr 14, 2006
415 posts
277 upvotes
canuck698 wrote: The problem with Freedom for me is that it is not compatible with my Lenovo A5 16GB global model smart phone on their network.
The A5 is worth $90 or less.

The $99 yearly Freedom plan is a good deal however their reception can be hit or miss.

Focus on the plan / reception first...phones are cheap. You could take the $80 savings from Rogers and use it to buy a cheap Motorola.