• Mar 10th, 2022 9:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2834 posts
1227 upvotes
Quebec

Lookingfor tips on Electric car

Hi I currently have a Kia Forte 2017, and I'm looking to change it for an Electric Car

Sadly my Forte is finished paying in 2024, but I'm hoping that the shortage in used car would help me a bit

Anyway I was looking for electric cars, and the one that seems the most 'abordable' is the Chevrolet Bolt but I've read about the batteries recall and that Chevrolet have issue replacing all the batteries right now, so they stopped making new cars

But except the bolt what kind of car would you recommend?, I need about 60KM per day to go in and out of work, and then to drive during the weekend for normal family outings and the car need to support 2 kids seat and we live in Quebec

Thanks
4 replies
May 7, 2015
773 posts
1217 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you thought the bolt was viable

Nissan Leaf 2019+
Kia niro ev
Kia Soul ev
Hyundai knona ev
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2834 posts
1227 upvotes
Quebec
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: If you thought the bolt was viable

Nissan Leaf 2019+
Kia niro ev
Kia Soul ev
Hyundai knona ev

What do you mean if you though the bolt was viable?

it's not a good car? on a lot of websites its considered one of the best electric car (Tesla is out of my range)
May 3, 2021
3 posts
I'm also thinking of going electric. Does anyone have any insight on when electric cars will be available? 2018 Nissan leafs are around 35k and that's basically the new price with the 5k incentive. From my research the leaf is the best choice but they're sold out. I heard the Bolt is not as comfortable as the leaf although the range is better.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1583 posts
2329 upvotes
ratatapa wrote: Hi I currently have a Kia Forte 2017, and I'm looking to change it for an Electric Car

Sadly my Forte is finished paying in 2024, but I'm hoping that the shortage in used car would help me a bit

Anyway I was looking for electric cars, and the one that seems the most 'abordable' is the Chevrolet Bolt but I've read about the batteries recall and that Chevrolet have issue replacing all the batteries right now, so they stopped making new cars

But except the bolt what kind of car would you recommend?, I need about 60KM per day to go in and out of work, and then to drive during the weekend for normal family outings and the car need to support 2 kids seat and we live in Quebec

Thanks
Since you're in Quebec, try to look for a used EV from out of province (i.e. Ontario), you can get a $4000 rebate on it.
https://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca ... casion.asp

There are some specific requirements - read the link above, but the biggest one is that is HAS to be from out of province (never registered in quebec and has to be still under original factory warranty. So you'd be looking at a less than 3 year old Bolt (so... originally purchased after March 2022 as of writing this), i.e. a 2019 model with less than 60K on it. Would be the same for a Nissan Leaf. VW e-Golf has 4yr 80k base warranty so you could go a year older (2018 model).

What kind of weekend use would you be looking at? 60km a day is no problem for even the lower range EV's like the old Leaf (non +) with 240km range and eGolf with 201km range. You can plan for 50% range loss on the coldest winter days and still go the 60km with heat no problem. But if you're planning to drive to ski hills or further out on weekends you might need something with longer range like the Bolt or Leaf +.

The Bolts are all getting new batteries, and will have more range than factory, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. 383 from factory and 416km after the new battery is installed. Absolutely nothing wrong with having a brand new battery either.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)