Woodbridge, ON
Lock him up! Lock Him up! send the little nerd to jail for life
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2017
9699 posts
2427 upvotes
Scarberia
how do they make the money? u mean they only gain 'money' via reselling the simcard and cellphone plan? how do they make profit from this hacking
*SIG: Ryzen??? R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit @39.99$
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3995 posts
1163 upvotes
GTA
Well, RFDers that were affected did say the perp was from Quebec..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5446 posts
4736 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: how do they make the money? u mean they only gain 'money' via reselling the simcard and cellphone plan? how do they make profit from this hacking
I guess you missed all the news articles over the last few months..??

Has nothing to do with reselling...

Once they have your cell phone #, they can use it to reset your passwords for gmail, bank accounts, credit cards, etc
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3459 posts
949 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
mikka2017 wrote: how do they make the money? u mean they only gain 'money' via reselling the simcard and cellphone plan? how do they make profit from this hacking
they drain your bank account or go on a shopping spree with your paypal and ebay accounts, did u not read the article
Hi
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19504 posts
4650 upvotes
Thornhill
This just means there will be more copycat artists. If a teenager can do it, so can hundreds of other teenagers.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3956 posts
2580 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
They can also lock all your stuff down and ransom it back to you.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12670 posts
3198 upvotes
Montréal
GoodFellaz wrote: they drain your bank account or go on a shopping spree with your paypal and ebay accounts, did u not read the article
How and why would ppl link their phone to sensitive info?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6776 posts
3194 upvotes
Alberta
tranquility922 wrote: How and why would ppl link their phone to sensitive info?
Because the banks, eBay, PayPal etc etc tells us to use 2FA. The RSA security key fob is still a better choice. Only problem is that not very many websites use it.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12670 posts
3198 upvotes
Montréal
jackrabbit000 wrote: Because the banks, eBay, PayPal etc etc tells us to use 2FA. The RSA security key fob is still a better choice. Only problem is that not very many websites use it.
I dunno what that is but I don't do bank and other sensitive stuff w my phone.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12670 posts
3198 upvotes
Montréal
isgaard wrote: You can do it on your phone, just don't do it via an app, use a web browser, and don't use 2FA with a cell phone number.
I'm sure but I'd rather mitigate even more and just do it at home w my home computers.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12670 posts
3198 upvotes
Montréal
isgaard wrote: Sounds like you never e-transfer money to people or have people e-transfer money to you. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

For those wondering about e-transfer without an app, yes, I e-transfer in and out (mostly in) without a banking app.
I do, but I'm still puzzled about the urgency to use a phone vs a home computer, given the presumably lousier security measures of the former, if they even exist.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18415 posts
11057 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
isgaard wrote: You can do it on your phone, just don't do it via an app, use a web browser
What's the difference, especially when the bank requires 2FA in all cases, e.g. TD?
and don't use 2FA with a cell phone number
How would you get the text/phone call if it's sent to a landline and you're not home? That sort of restriction is unworkable in practice.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 8, 2008
291 posts
65 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: I do, but I'm still puzzled about the urgency to use a phone vs a home computer, given the presumably lousier security measures of the former, if they even exist.
It doesn’t matter if you used banking apps on your phone or not.
As soon as someone steals your phone number they download all banking apps and PayPal etc onto their phone with your phone number and goes into each app and clicks forgot password.
The 2FA would then send a text with a temporary password to your phone number which the thief is now using.