Automotive

Loophole to get around the Under 25 Car Rental fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2015 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes

Loophole to get around the Under 25 Car Rental fee?

Going to the States for a while and I need to rent a car.

Was looking up rates and noticed that they all tack on an extra free if you're under 25. I am 24. The estimates are almost doubled because of the fee.

Any way I can get this waived or find a loophole?

Tried this http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/com ... ent_a_car/ but only for US residents..

help?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
179 upvotes
Western Montreal
Many corporate plans waive the under 25 fee.. Check your employers deal with their preferred rental company... Typically you can often rent with employer discount even if for personal use. The only exception I have seen to that so far is when it is a rate that includes LDW/CDW.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
Good news is I get corporate codes from a) my employer, b) my university, c) a professional institution i'm part of. Bad news is that none of em waive the underage fee.

I found some corporate codes online that waive it, but I don't know if its risky..
Oct 16, 2008
692 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga
I went to Budget and showed my Costco executive membership a few years ago and they waived the under 25 fee. This was about 3 years ago I rented an Elantra for a few days.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
yeah, tried that first. they require proof that you live in the states.
Dec 1, 2013
479 posts
201 upvotes
4 years ago I rented a minivan with Avis in Florida when I was under 25. They had no choice but to waive the fee because people under 25 weren't allowed to rent minivans (they made an exception). lol dont know if that would work for anyone again but maybe
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
I booked on enterprise using a University of California Berkeley corporate code - waived the under 25 fee and gave 10% discount. Was much cheaper than the Hertz way.

Fingers crossed I have no issues.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
jmatheson64 wrote: Fake ID
not a bad idea but sometimes they ask for passport as well if you have an international license.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
179 upvotes
Western Montreal
Canuckavelli wrote: I booked on enterprise using a University of California Berkeley corporate code - waived the under 25 fee and gave 10% discount. Was much cheaper than the Hertz way.

Fingers crossed I have no issues.
I used to work for Hertz and Enterprise, and we were way stricter at asking for ID for corporate rates with Enterprise than we were with Hertz... may depend on the size of the location...
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
My confirmation never mentioned anything. The code is for alumni's, how would an alumni even prove this on the spot? Most don't carry around an alumni card. I know I never bothered to get my uoft alumni card.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2013
856 posts
66 upvotes
tiggrrrrr75 wrote: I used to work for Hertz and Enterprise, and we were way stricter at asking for ID for corporate rates with Enterprise than we were with Hertz... may depend on the size of the location...
My confirmation never mentioned anything. The code is for alumni's, how would an alumni even prove this on the spot? Most don't carry around an alumni card. I know I never bothered to get my uoft alumni card.

Location is LAX btw lol
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
179 upvotes
Get one of your parents to rent it maybe?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4070 posts
248 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Family friend waived my fees :lol:
Sep 24, 2010
177 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
What I recall from the last time I rented a vehicle, if you lie on your rental agreement and anything happens you will we responsible for any damages. Also ALL drivers must be listed on the rental contract to be able to drive the car. Not worth the risk.