• Aug 15th, 2020 5:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 7, 2007
333 posts
173 upvotes
Woodstock

Loose lug nuts

My daughter-in-law loaned her SUV to her son about a week ago to use on a weekend family outing because it was very hot and his A/C wasn't working. After she got it back the other day they made a couple of trips into town. The second time, coming home, she noticed a shaking from the front end and when they got home found 4 of the 5 lug nuts on the LF wheel completely loose and unscrewing. No apparent damage, so my son re-torqued the nuts. So my question is, has anyone else experienced such a phenomenon (other than after changing wheels and forgetting to tighten the lug nuts, which did not happen)? My theory is vandalism, or that someone had tried steel the wheels and got interrupted.
37 replies
Nov 10, 2015
377 posts
388 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
+1 for vandalism or similar.
Very possible that if the car wasnt driven much since the last tire swap, they could have been not torqued to spec and slowly loosened.

Id retorque all 4 wheels just in case
[OP]
Sep 7, 2007
333 posts
173 upvotes
Woodstock
He did check and retorque all the wheels and they were to spec.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9018 posts
2987 upvotes
Toronto
It's happened to me a couple of times over the years. Usually due to wheels not been properly tightened. I'm now in the habit of double checking all the wheels a day or two after a changeover just to be sure.

Really can't see it as vandalism unless you have a specific reason for thinking that.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10098 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto
Someone trying to steel your rims? That one lug probally the lock nut
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Sep 7, 2007
333 posts
173 upvotes
Woodstock
akito925 wrote: Someone trying to steel your rims? That one lug probally the lock nut
No security lug nuts on this car. I still feel someone had attempted to steal the wheels and got interrupted.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32941 posts
14662 upvotes
When was the last time the wheels were removed/reinstalled and were they re-torqued 100-200km thereafter?
[OP]
Sep 7, 2007
333 posts
173 upvotes
Woodstock
They were changed from winter to summer tires in the spring. The loose wheel happened weeks later after her son had borrowed the car. Never heard of re-torquing wheels as a matter of course.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12665 posts
6709 upvotes
oldyellr wrote: They were changed from winter to summer tires in the spring. The loose wheel happened weeks later after her son had borrowed the car. Never heard of re-torquing wheels as a matter of course.
It's a way of shop's covering their butts if the tech doesn't properly tighten the nut when mounting the wheel is all.

A properly tightened bolt will NOT loosen over time, so if you know it was done properly the first time. Mean you did it yourself, you don't need to double check later.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18361 posts
5966 upvotes
London
Gutty96 wrote: It's a way of shop's covering their butts if the tech doesn't properly tighten the nut when mounting the wheel is all.

A properly tightened bolt will NOT loosen over time, so if you know it was done properly the first time. Mean you did it yourself, you don't need to double check later.
If properly torqued lug nuts never loosen, then why are commercial truck drivers legally required to check lug nut torque daily ? (Ont HTA)
Not only are they legally required to check daily, they are also legally required to maintain records of the daily checks
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12665 posts
6709 upvotes
l69norm wrote: If properly torqued lug nuts never loosen, then why are commercial truck drivers legally required to check lug nut torque daily ? (Ont HTA)
Not only are they legally required to check daily, they are also legally required to maintain records of the daily checks
Probably because they are being extra careful. Not likely for loose, more likely for broken. Those vehicles put their tires, and wheels under tremendous stress.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18361 posts
5966 upvotes
London
Gutty96 wrote: Probably because they are being extra careful. Not likely for loose, more likely for broken. Those vehicles put their tires, and wheels under tremendous stress.
Then obviously "properly torqued" lug nuts can loosen (and do loosen)
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12665 posts
6709 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Then obviously "properly torqued" lug nuts can loosen (and do loosen)
I think you definition of "loosen" is different than mine, and I doubt many people here are driving 18 wheelers as there daily driver.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18361 posts
5966 upvotes
London
Gutty96 wrote: I think you definition of "loosen" is different than mine, and I doubt many people here are driving 18 wheelers as there daily driver.
The ON legal requirement is for commercial vehicles - some pickup trucks fall into that category
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12665 posts
6709 upvotes
l69norm wrote: The ON legal requirement is for commercial vehicles - some pickup trucks fall into that category
Maybe. Doesn't change anything. Nuts don't loosen on there own in the first 100kms after being properly tightened.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18361 posts
5966 upvotes
London
Gutty96 wrote: Maybe. Doesn't change anything. Nuts don't loosen on there own in the first 100kms after being properly tightened.
Then why is it a legal requirement to perform this inspection daily ? (i.e a Ford F350 being used for commercial purposes - at least once per 24 hr period)
BTW - loose fastener - not defined by me, defined by the ON HTA
Last edited by l69norm on Aug 15th, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12665 posts
6709 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Then why is it a legal requirement to perform this inspection daily ? (i.e a Ford F350 being used for commercial purposes - at least once per 24 hr period)
See my previous replies.
Last edited by Gutty96 on Aug 15th, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18361 posts
5966 upvotes
London
Gutty96 wrote: See my first reply.
The legal requirement is for either loose OR missing fasteners. If fasteners only break / go missing and never loosen, why is there an explicit legal requirement for loose fasteners ?
Last edited by l69norm on Aug 15th, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12665 posts
6709 upvotes
l69norm wrote: The legal requirement is for loose OR missing fasteners. If fasteners only break and go missing and never loosen, why is it explicitly a legal requirement ?
Do You think many people on RFD are driving F350 and larger? Who exactly do you think those rules are applying to here?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)