None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Loosing hardwired connections.

At my friends place he has 2 smart tvs, Security Camera NVR currently hardwired & a bunch of other runs not currently being used yet.

DSL Modem --> 24 Port Unmanaged Switch --> Devices
Cat6 run throughout the house

what happens is on both the tvs it will say Ethernet disconnected & then 2 or 3 seconds later it says Ethernet connected. Also I believe the NVR will loose connection too. Wireless seems to be unaffected. Thinking it was a bad switch I brought mine over to leave and test with & he just msged me saying it disconnected again & came back.

So at this point it does not make sense to me because it has to be a modem issue however all these devices are connected to the switch so if the modem is turned off or restarted it should not say on the tv's that the Ethernet was unplugged because the switch still has power & the tvs are plugged into the switch not modem

What am I missing here?
thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
51 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Doubt its the cables, its happening on multiple devices at the same time. Its been fine without issues for a year or two.
vodka wrote: Check the cabling
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2613 posts
852 upvotes
If you left your switch there, did you check the logs, or is it also unmanaged? Any log you can check for any kind of disconnects?
Dec 6, 2020
375 posts
354 upvotes
Are you certain the user interfaces on the TVs are smart enough to accurately report the difference between losing Ethernet PHY and losing Internet connectivity? It's possible the TVs use 'Ethernet disconnected' as a generic error message for any loss of connectivity.

Disconnect the switch from the modem and see if you get the same errors on the TVs. If you do, then the fault could be upstream of the switch. If you don't get the same error message when the switch is disconnected from the modem, then work on the possibility of power issues (loose house wiring powering the switch?) or potentially damage to multiple cables (rodent damage where all cables run in close proximity?).

If you can get access to a smart/managed switch with logging capability, install it temporarily and see what turns up in the logs.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Also unmanaged switch
vodka wrote: If you left your switch there, did you check the logs, or is it also unmanaged? Any log you can check for any kind of disconnects?
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
That's the only thing I could think of also, if it looses internet and says it lost Ethernet. We have not tried unplugging the modem from the switch but I will give that a try.

I thought about a power issue however using a 2nd unmanaged switch it has the same issue, We also tried a different power bar and also going directly into the wall socket no issue but I suspect its not power related but maybe Modem as you mentioned.
Thanks
middleofnowhere wrote: Are you certain the user interfaces on the TVs are smart enough to accurately report the difference between losing Ethernet PHY and losing Internet connectivity? It's possible the TVs use 'Ethernet disconnected' as a generic error message for any loss of connectivity.

Disconnect the switch from the modem and see if you get the same errors on the TVs. If you do, then the fault could be upstream of the switch. If you don't get the same error message when the switch is disconnected from the modem, then work on the possibility of power issues (loose house wiring powering the switch?) or potentially damage to multiple cables (rodent damage where all cables run in close proximity?).

If you can get access to a smart/managed switch with logging capability, install it temporarily and see what turns up in the logs.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Its all quality Belden cat6 However its not a cable issue. Its happening on multiple devices at the same time.
von Monster wrote: Did you use UL rated cabling or cheap generic stuff? I've found in the past that the cheap Copper Clad Aluminum cabling will do this as it starts to fry itself.

https://icc.com/white-papers/look-insid ... ng-cables/
https://www.computercablestore.com/what ... ur-network
https://www.flukenetworks.com/content/a ... num-cables
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3049 posts
524 upvotes
Toronto
My 2cents: it's DNS, because it's always DNS.
Dec 6, 2020
375 posts
354 upvotes
sickcars wrote: We also tried a different power bar and also going directly into the wall socket
Electrical receptacles can fail, especially if they're well used or old. Household wiring can also fail (or be damaged), but that is much less common.

If you rule out the other possibilities without finding a cause, try plugging the switch into an extension cord connected to a different receptacle.
Nov 23, 2004
773 posts
1365 upvotes
Ontario
Are any of the devices static IP? This type of behavior could happen if two devices are assigned the same IP by mistake. Just a random thought because I did have just that happen once when my printer and an IP cam had the same IP - printer would kick the camera offline every time it was powered on, then the camera would re-claim the IP and kick the printer offline, and so on.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4251 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
Edit: Just reread your OR about another switch being used.

Is this all going into a patch panel? If it is, try punching down the wires again and see if that solves the issue.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1771 posts
879 upvotes
Alberta
You keep saying it's not the cabling...but the modem has to connect to the switch via a cable...if that cable is bad, all devices on the switch would show no internet, unless it's showing a physical disconnect on all devices. Have to be more clear on what the actual issue is. Easy way to test this really.

1. Ping the gateway (192.168.0.1 or something similar, depending on the setup) - if you get a response you are traversing the switch to the router so the issue might be internet (again, no idea what the actual problem is, ethernet disconnect or just no internet message)
2. If you can't ping the gateway, can you ping another device on the same switch? If you can ping other devices on the switch the issue is the router or cable between router and switch.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6554 posts
2242 upvotes
Vancouver
A lot of good advise posted to check. OP, don't dismiss it before you test.

Do you have torrents running?
A few ( or likely a lot) large size downloads can really mess it up for everything on the network due to so many tiny packets. At times, your memory fills up then your HD can't handle the traffic and it stops in order to finish writing and then it resumes.

While sometimes it just stops and go, some cheap old routers with poor CPU and little memory will just disconnect the network and at times it can even reboot or lose DNS.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm thinking of bringing my UPS over to test with. Its a new house so all electrical is new but yes you are correct shit can happen & can get bad receptacles.
middleofnowhere wrote: Electrical receptacles can fail, especially if they're well used or old. Household wiring can also fail (or be damaged), but that is much less common.

If you rule out the other possibilities without finding a cause, try plugging the switch into an extension cord connected to a different receptacle.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
nope no Static IP as far as I know.
mindabsence wrote: Are any of the devices static IP? This type of behavior could happen if two devices are assigned the same IP by mistake. Just a random thought because I did have just that happen once when my printer and an IP cam had the same IP - printer would kick the camera offline every time it was powered on, then the camera would re-claim the IP and kick the printer offline, and so on.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
no patch panel, just the network switch. It also cant be a bad Ethernet cable because all 3 devices go down at the same time.
Zero1 wrote: Edit: Just reread your OR about another switch being used.

Is this all going into a patch panel? If it is, try punching down the wires again and see if that solves the issue.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Last night I got him to unplug the cable that goes from the modem to the switch & no message comes up on the TV saying Ethernet disconnected as I was thinking the same thing you were, internet goes down or maybe modem reboots and the message pops up but thats not the case.

eblend wrote: You keep saying it's not the cabling...but the modem has to connect to the switch via a cable...if that cable is bad, all devices on the switch would show no internet, unless it's showing a physical disconnect on all devices. Have to be more clear on what the actual issue is. Easy way to test this really.

1. Ping the gateway (192.168.0.1 or something similar, depending on the setup) - if you get a response you are traversing the switch to the router so the issue might be internet (again, no idea what the actual problem is, ethernet disconnect or just no internet message)
2. If you can't ping the gateway, can you ping another device on the same switch? If you can ping other devices on the switch the issue is the router or cable between router and switch.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11271 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
No Torrents, they have a laptop that they rarely use. What they mostly do is have the tv on for Netflix or similar & would be on their phones. that's about it so the load is not very much.

dazz wrote: A lot of good advise posted to check. OP, don't dismiss it before you test.

Do you have torrents running?
A few ( or likely a lot) large size downloads can really mess it up for everything on the network due to so many tiny packets. At times, your memory fills up then your HD can't handle the traffic and it stops in order to finish writing and then it resumes.

While sometimes it just stops and go, some cheap old routers with poor CPU and little memory will just disconnect the network and at times it can even reboot or lose DNS.
0_o
<_<
>_>