Automotive

LOST KEYS - 1997 oldsmobile cutlass supreme. How much will it cost?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2010 11:26 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1783 posts
775 upvotes

LOST KEYS - 1997 oldsmobile cutlass supreme. How much will it cost?

I lost my only key of 1997 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME. Unfortunately, the key had a computer chip in it. How do I get a replacement key? How much will it cost?

Would love to hear from anyone who had a similar experience.
9 replies
Jul 8, 2010
41 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
id guess $200 as they would have to reprogram your other keys as well as your vehicle... but at least it's not the end of the world and youll get a new set of keys
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2132 posts
111 upvotes
Regina
The security system in those cars is a joke. My old Alero had the "security" system too. I used to just go to walmart and get keys made for $2... worked just fine.

Although since you have no keys you'll have to go to the dealer. If I had to venture a guess I would say you're looking at about $80.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
ruchir wrote: I lost my only key of 1997 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME. Unfortunately, the key had a computer chip in it. How do I get a replacement key? How much will it cost?

Would love to hear from anyone who had a similar experience.
You likely did NOT have a chip in the key, rather you had an ignition interlock chip so that the car couldn't easily be hotwired.

Out 94 Cutlass "had a chip key" according to the dealer- we then successfully made our own copy at Crappy Tire.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21199 posts
10689 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
When it comes to the cutlass supreme, EVERYTHING is priceless!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32889 posts
14600 upvotes
antichrysler wrote: The security system in those cars is a joke. My old Alero had the "security" system too. I used to just go to walmart and get keys made for $2... worked just fine.

Although since you have no keys you'll have to go to the dealer. If I had to venture a guess I would say you're looking at about $80.
Uh the Alero has PassLock [II], whereas the Cutlass Supreme might have had PassKey II. They are different systems. I'm not 100% sure which the Cutlass Supreme had but if it's the latter then the key is important. The OP would know if their original key had a "chip", more correctly called a pellet, visible on the key itself. If it did not it will use PassLock and any cut key will work.

With PassLock, the car must be started with a key in order to start the car. Any cut key will do, there is nothing special about the key. The R-Code is held in the ignition key cylinder and is read by the IPC which sends a password to the PCM when you turn the key to start the car. If the password agrees with what is stored in the PCM, the injectors are enabled; if it doesn't agree the injectors will be disabled and the car will not run.

With PassKey the pellet in the key is read by the ignition cylinder and a similar process ensues from there. PassKey requires the use of a special key, PassLock does not. PassKey I was called "VATS", PassKey II is similar and uses a resistor pellet in the key and is slightly more secure than VATS.

PassKey III departs from the R-code/resistances and uses what most cars do today--transponder system.

As for the keys, the expensive part will be getting the key(s) physically cut, not so much the code for the key. Because there are only something like 15-20 different key resistance "codes", they just have to determine which of the 15 it is and cut keys with that code number (they might be able to do this from the VIN or with a Tech2 I'm sure). Otherwise I think the system can learn a different code following a procedure (which is what you do with PassLock if you have to replace any of the cylinder, PCM, or IPC).

In any event a stealer will probably charge a premium for this service whereas there might be some automotive locksmiths that can do it for cheaper. However finding out what key code your car uses without the original key might only be possible with information and/or tools from a stealership.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2132 posts
111 upvotes
Regina
^^ Well you obviously know more about Pass* than I do. All I know is it can easily be bypassed with simple resistor tricks or cutting one of the ignition wires while the car is running. I forget which ones that applies to.

Either way, the stealership will bend you over. If you care about the FOB I would get it off ebay and just pay someone to program it.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12788 posts
7485 upvotes
Brampton
You could easily get a new blank on ebay for about $7 shipped. The problem is you don't know the original resistance of that "Chip". Basically it's just a resister on the key.

There's no programming required if you know the resistance. However if you don't know the resistance value you'll need to get a new key with a new resistance and have the dealership tell the computer to accept the new value.

It's a really crappy system. I've seen it cause more trouble than it's worth. Most small shop mechanics don't even know it's the PK system that causes the car not to start and ends up replacing ECM, cylinder everything before they realize the resistor in the key was the problem.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3621 posts
96 upvotes
You will need to get ahold of the original selling dealer who will have the key codes off of the invoice, and your W-car has PassLock II, if memory serves.

Either that, or contact Vintage Vehicle Services who used to charge about $150 to get you your key codes.

Then, with the key codes, order the correct blank and get the key cut at a gm dealer who has the proper key cutting tool (you input the code and cut a key out from that) or some locksmiths. If memory serves, PassLock doesn't require a special key.

If it had VATS, then it has the chip, you have to get the cylinder read to determine the proper key blank to be ordered. PITA.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)