Lost my Cogeco TV service without my permission

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 9:21 am
[OP]
Jul 2, 2018
236 posts
122 upvotes

Lost my Cogeco TV service without my permission

Long story short: My condo building had a group discount deal with Cogeco, which I never bothered to take advantage of. I had my own internet/TV bundle that I didn't mind paying for, even though I'm sure it could have been at least $15-20 less per month. At some point recently it was decided that the building was switching to Bell Fibe. But I didn't bother with that, I was sticking with what works for me (including my now twenty year-old business e-mail address, etc.) ... however, suddenly my TV service has been canceled without my say-so. I expect I've been lumped in with the tenants who had the subsidized discount and made the switch to Bell. I did not okay this.

A call to Cogeco left me sitting for 45 minutes on hold, only to be told that they had closed down for the night and to call back tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if I should take this opportunity to give them the middle finger and jump ship to Bell FIbe, giving it a try finally? But I've heard that you can't have a PVR with Bell Fibe and I really want to hold on to that feature. My concern is that Cogeco is going to want to stick me with new installation charges for a service I never agreed to canceling. What are my best options?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5265 upvotes
Mississauga
There absolutely is a PVR with regular FibeTV.

I don’t understand why you lost your tv as you apparently had your own internet/tv service independent of the condo-wide service already.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2018
236 posts
122 upvotes
mrweather wrote: There absolutely is a PVR with regular FibeTV.

I don’t understand why you lost your tv as you apparently had your own internet/tv service independent of the condo-wide service already.
Nor do I. My wife and I were quite livid about it. I'm calling them today to straighten it out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
Progatron wrote: Nor do I. My wife and I were quite livid about it. I'm calling them today to straighten it out.
Staying may not have been an option. One of the terms of the building getting a special deal with Bell may have been exclusivity, e.g. the building must disconnect all cable infrastructure so that residents do not have the option. This may have always been the case, but you never had a problem because you happened to get service through the same provider that the building did (Cogeco).
Jan 12, 2017
615 posts
226 upvotes
Har har... "45 minutes on hold, only to be told that they had closed down for the night and to call back tomorrow."

excuse me.... I do remember those days, never more with Teksavvy; I'd opt to jump ship and go with fibre and cross your fingers for a deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1478 posts
285 upvotes
Grimsby
I doubt OP had 'his own' Cogeco service, he more likely had added features.

OP you voted the board in and their job is to get the best value possible from your monthly condo fee, they must have thought Fibe was worth the swap.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2018
236 posts
122 upvotes
Owbist wrote: I doubt OP had 'his own' Cogeco service, he more likely had added features.

OP you voted the board in and their job is to get the best value possible from your monthly condo fee, they must have thought Fibe was worth the swap.
I don't care what they thought. I called and got my Cogeco service reinstated. Had to choose a new package as mine was obsolete, but that's okay. Relatively painless experience as I did it first thing Monday morning and spoke with a knowledgeable rep.

But yes, as it turns out, I did have about $15 shaved off my monthly bill due to the group condo rate - unbeknownst to me all this time. Which explains why my service was yanked without my permission. I had been informed of the switch in a misleading, poorly-worded newsletter, being led to believe if I didn't want to switch, all I had to do was nothing.

Anyway, solved! Thanks.