• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2019 11:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1551 posts
1962 upvotes

Lost package got delivered with new package

I bought something for a present for my wife off of an online company which I found was in China. The tracking info looked like it got stuck somewhere so I wrote them and they resent my package. However today I somehow received both shipments. I've only been charged once. I obviously want to do the right thing here and return it but it's in China. Should I bother writing them and asking about it? Would they get it if I just wrote Return to Sender on it?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1315 upvotes
London
User381785 wrote: I bought something for a present for my wife off of an online company which I found was in China. The tracking info looked like it got stuck somewhere so I wrote them and they resent my package. However today I somehow received both shipments. I've only been charged once. I obviously want to do the right thing here and return it but it's in China. Should I bother writing them and asking about it? Would they get it if I just wrote Return to Sender on it?
as long as u don't open the box just take one of them in to a local post office and tell them to please return it to sender they will ship it back with no cost as long as its not open. ups and fedex will also do the same as long as u call them to come get it within 7 days of it being dropped off. once u open a package your out of luck then u have to pay to return it.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
1870 posts
2076 upvotes
BC
^ just building on this, I wouldn't take it to a post office. Cross out the name, write "RTS" on the label and toss it in a street side red box (I'm assuming it was delivered by Canada Post).

Some small packets don't have return postage paid, let the courier decide if it's to be destroyed or sent back. Don't get wrapped into paying a clerk at the desk.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13769 posts
8807 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Was it something expensive or meh? If it's meh, just keep it.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1315 upvotes
London
mikebc wrote: ^ just building on this, I wouldn't take it to a post office. Cross out the name, write "RTS" on the label and toss it in a street side red box (I'm assuming it was delivered by Canada Post).

Some small packets don't have return postage paid, let the courier decide if it's to be destroyed or sent back. Don't get wrapped into paying a clerk at the desk.
i've taken many to the post office they never asked me to pay anything as long as its not been opened.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12104 posts
140655 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

It will most likely cost more to shipped the item back then what it is worth. I would just keep it or donate it.

Ju Leon...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15457 posts
12653 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Unopened ... it’s a simple case of return to sender

Opened ... gonna be a case of your conscience deciding between what’s RIGHT and what’s EASY

Personally I’d try to do the RIGHT THING

Cuz bad karma sucks!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1315 upvotes
London
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

It will most likely cost more to shipped the item back then what it is worth. I would just keep it or donate it.

Ju Leon...
cost nothing to send it back if the package is not opened.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2320 upvotes
Mississauga
User381785 wrote: About $25
I can almost guarantee if you email them asking for instructions how to send back they will tell you to keep it.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
If there is any contact method with the shipper, I would contact them to see what they want to do. They may tell you to do with it what you will, or they may have a North America address to send it to and send you a shipping label for it, or maybe send a label to send it back to China. It's not at all rare for items to be thought lost or stolen en route from Asia given how long they can take, and a second item shipped and then the first one shows up. Not so often they show up the same day though lol. You could just put it in the mail box to RTS, but this then just creates work for people back at the post office to make contact with the shipper to find out what they want done with it (the post office won't ship it back for free). Of course you might not care about that part of it and just be done with it. Is it something you wouldn't mind having 2 of?
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12104 posts
140655 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

For the end user, yeah, but not for everyone else in the system of shipping items (seller sending it out, packaging, then all the transportation, etc)...
aaron158 wrote: cost nothing to send it back if the package is not opened.
Ju Leon...