• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 11:15 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
21 posts
3 upvotes

Which lot is better?

Hey guys, thanks for your input in my previous post. I'm now trying to choose a lot. I'm very indifferent on these so just wondering about future resale which is a bit better (I know they are all not ideal):

A: sidewalk, fire hydrant (meaning no street parking, shared with neighbor), close to a park

B: sidewalk, hydro box shared with neighbor (big green box on lawn), close to a park

C: no sidewalk, hydro box shared with neighbor (big green box on lawn), close to townhouses, 0.6ft wider lot
31 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1603 upvotes
Alliston, ON
C

My current house is the first I've had with no sidewalk and I'd never go back to a house with one given the choice. The wider lot is nice to
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20904 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
A

Lol over 40+ years I have lived in houses with many of these “lawn decorations”

By far the fire hydrant is the preferred one ... those big green hydro boxes are BEYOND Ugly
And hard to hide / camouflage

Fire Hydrants mean:
* No one can park on the street in front of your house !!!
* You get a break on your House Insurance

And if you find it an eyesore when you look at it from your front door / windows etc ...
Just plant some sort of evergreen or shrub behind it so it disappears

House pictures from the street ... photoshop it out (just see the evergreen / shrub )
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1381 posts
719 upvotes
Near GTA
Do you have kids or need to care about sidewalk access? I’ve got a 2/4yr old + newborn and could not imagine living on the other side without a sidewalk. Sure I’m envious of their bigger lawn, but they also have the parking side, which the sidewalk side does not for us. I prefer random peoples cars on the other side of the road Thumbs Up Sign

I also have a green box, and grew up with a green box. It’s the coolest hangout spot on the street. Right in front of my eyes Eyes Great for me now and even better as these kids age
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
21 posts
3 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: A

Lol over 40+ years I have lived in houses with many of these “lawn decorations”

By far the fire hydrant is the preferred one ... those big green hydro boxes are BEYOND Ugly
And hard to hide / camouflage

Fire Hydrants mean:
* No one can park on the street in front of your house !!!
* You get a break on your House Insurance

And if you find it an eyesore when you look at it from your front door / windows etc ...
Just plant some sort of evergreen or shrub behind it so it disappears

House pictures from the street ... photoshop it out (just see the evergreen / shrub )
I didn't know you can hide a fire hydrant with a shrub? That sounds illegal? Face With Tears Of Joy but serious question though..can you?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1485 posts
899 upvotes
ottawa
Sjlaaa wrote: I didn't know you can hide a fire hydrant with a shrub? That sounds illegal? Face With Tears Of Joy but serious question though..can you?
I think they mean on the house side - not from the street.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20904 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sjlaaa wrote:
I didn't know you can hide a fire hydrant with a shrub? That sounds illegal? Face With Tears Of Joy but serious question though..can you?
barqers wrote: I think they mean on the house side - not from the street.
This

Ya read my post again.

Totally legit / legal

The shrub evergreen is between your house & the fire hydrant, so hydrant is visible to the street ... invisible to you from the house

Here’s an example from Oakville ON

https://www.designmygarden.ca/curb-appe ... -iulkjrii3
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10947 posts
4245 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: This

Ya read my post again.

Totally legit / legal

The shrub evergreen is between your house & the fire hydrant, so hydrant is visible to the street ... invisible to you from the house

Here’s an example from Oakville ON

https://www.designmygarden.ca/curb-appe ... -iulkjrii3
That's legal? you sure?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35811 posts
9153 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
No question, go for the private driveway. No sidewalk.

You can park an extra car or two without having it parked perpendicular. More importantly, you don’t have to worry about someone slipping on your sidewalk

When I buy I house, the first requirement is a private driveway. Then I look at the interior. If there is a sidewalk, it is immediately not a consideration.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4633 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, easy choice to avoid anything to do w sidewalk, chopped-off driveway, annoying potential trespassers/litterers, extra labor+liability concerns, forgetaboutit.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20904 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
blexann wrote: That's legal? you sure?
Different jurisdictions, then different Bylaws

In the place we lived it was more like TO @ 1.2 metres (47 inches ... almost 4 feet)

Than Halton @ 3 metres ( 117 inches ... 9+ feet)
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 12th, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10947 posts
4245 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Different jurisdictions, then different Bylaws

In the place we lived it was more like TO @ 1.2 metres (47 inches ... almost 4 feet)

Than Halton @ 3 metres ((117 inches ... 9+ feet)
the picture was from Oakville so that's why I posted the bylaw for Halton.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
Gee wrote: No question, go for the private driveway. No sidewalk.

You can park an extra car or two without having it parked perpendicular. More importantly, you don’t have to worry about someone slipping on your sidewalk

When I buy I house, the first requirement is a private driveway. Then I look at the interior. If there is a sidewalk, it is immediately not a consideration.
tranquility922 wrote: Ya, easy choice to avoid anything to do w sidewalk, chopped-off driveway, annoying potential trespassers/litterers, extra labor+liability concerns, forgetaboutit.
I also vote no sidewalk for all of these reasons. No dogs doing their business on your lawn either.

Is street parking even allowed where you're from? Most suburbs of the GTA it's not.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5034 posts
2722 upvotes
GTA
I prefer D: no fire hydrant/hydro box/sidewalk
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7234 posts
2821 upvotes
GTA
Park on another street, walk slowly around the block a few times, especially Fri-Sat night. Observe neighbours from front and back yards while walking, have lunch at park if it offers a view. The neighbours are far more important than a fire hydrant out front in regards to house selection.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1482 posts
997 upvotes
Longueuil
I guess it depends where you live. Here you cannot have anything close to a fire hydrant. In winter the city will remove snow around the hydrant (which would destroy anything around it anyway even if it was legal). You can have a shrub that will completely hide the telecommunication box from the street (but you will see it from looking through your window because you cannot block the doors). I don't know about hydro boxes however.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1307 posts
874 upvotes
London, On
Guess it depends on where you live regarding liability of the city sidewalk in front of your property. Here in London, we aren't even required to clean the sidewalk of snow (unless we live in the designated central business district boundaries), and we certainly aren't responsible if someone slips on it. In actuality, most of us do clean the snow (and on my street, those of us with snowblowers will usually do the snow a couple houses either side of us too). I would love to not have a sidewalk now, which would give me room for 4 cars in my driveway, not to mention the lack of foot traffic in front of our house. But the main reason we moved here was the school was on the same side of the road as us, connected by sidewalk, so the kids didn't have to cross a road or anything, just 20 or so driveways.

To the point of the hydrant giving you a bit of a break on your insurance, I have heard (no idea first hand) that you pay a bit extra on taxes for it as well. We have a cable box at the front corner of our lot, but we can't see it from the house because of a tree and some bushes in the middle of our lawn.

Barring any reason to have a sidewalk, like safety of kids walking to school, I would go with C.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1368 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: No question, go for the private driveway. No sidewalk.

Private driveway? I'm assuming OP is buying a house in a cookie cutter subdivision...nothing private about that....as for your question A by far...green boxes arw an eye sore, fire hydrant not so much...smaller at least
JS

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)