• Jan 28th, 2021 5:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Oct 14, 2020
72 posts
140 upvotes

A lot of "home bakers" popping up on Facebook feeds

Hi, I have a question about the legality of this... I see lots of private households putting FOOD up for sale on facebook. (home baked goods, etc). It seems that the majority of these home hobbyists are illegally operating - I doubt they have kitchens that would pass inspection, insurance, etc..

Are they not putting themselves in grave financial danger by doing this?? what's stopping anyone from suing these individuals?
17 replies
[OP]
Banned
Oct 14, 2020
72 posts
140 upvotes
slavka012 wrote: suing for what?
they are operating without insurance.. isn't there risk involved? what if someone dies from their food, or gets sick?
If anyone could just sell food from their home, then we would have the AirBnB of Restaurants....
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2026 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
joneslocker wrote: they are operating without insurance.. isn't there risk involved? what if someone dies from their food, or gets sick?
Did someone die or got sick? What are you talking about?
[OP]
Banned
Oct 14, 2020
72 posts
140 upvotes
slavka012 wrote: Did someone die or got sick? What are you talking about?
it's not coplicated.
Isn't there a risk of selling food from home without the proper licenses and insurances?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2026 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
joneslocker wrote: it's not coplicated.
Isn't there a risk of selling food from home without the proper licenses and insurances?
There is risk when you walk in the park. You might trip and bump into somebody who might fall, hit their head on the curb and die. Do you have insurance for that?

Your friends come over, do you worry about them dying from the food you serve?
Besides, how do you even know they operate without insurance?
[OP]
Banned
Oct 14, 2020
72 posts
140 upvotes
slavka012 wrote: There is risk when you walk in the park. You might trip and bump into somebody who might fall, hit their head on the curb and die. Do you have insurance for that?

Your friends come over, do you worry about them dying from the food you serve?
Besides, how do you even know they operate without insurance?
i guess i found another illegal food operator?

it's illegal to sell food from your house, chump.
And yeah, if you friend comes over and you serve them food that kills them, you could very much be held liable... That's why most people have home owners insurance... Not sure if you know this, but a big reason people get home insurance is for LIABILITY reasons... you know... like if someone trips on the sidewalk out front of your house??

you know you can get sued for that, right?

And you know that to sell food from your kitchen at home you need to have passed an inspection... A home kitchen wont pass an inspection - cause it likely doenst have the necessary amount of space/sinks for hygiene.

That very same hygiene that can get someone e-coli … and have them end up in the hospital.... and then suing you...
Dec 15, 2015
702 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
joneslocker wrote: it's not coplicated.
In most cases, not allowed. The food needs to be prepared in a licensed area.

I'm sure health inspectors are having a field day.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto
This thread will be epic.
Also this says more about OP than someone trying to make a few bucks to make it through winter.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1080 posts
670 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I know there are laws on selling food, but on the other hand organizations have "bake sales" and farmers sell fresh produce from road side stands, so I'm guessing maybe these are exemptions.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1716 posts
713 upvotes
Abbotsford
joneslocker wrote:
Are they not putting themselves in grave financial danger by doing this?? what's stopping anyone from suing these individuals?
the fact they have to have a reason to sue?
Feb 5, 2007
803 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
any food being sold needs to be done with a health license and prob in an industrial kitchen is my best guess. Not your personal home.
Nov 23, 2014
537 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It is same as the sellers on Kijiji who may not be collecting or paying GST ?.. like, how many waiters ,valet drivers,bellhops and gig workers honestly pay income taxes on Tips ? , Performing on streets and accepting donations is also illegal ..
there are hundreds such illegal things going around us..may be some are harmless,but if somebody is selling cookies or cakes as hobby and very occasionally,there's not much to worry about..unless if they are doing commercially and in large quantities !
Nov 30, 2015
600 posts
715 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
joneslocker wrote: i guess i found another illegal food operator?

it's illegal to sell food from your house, chump.
You're probably a blast at parties. You act like these people should be lined up and shot for selling a few cookies. These people are mostly selling stuff to friends and family, all of whom would know that it was made in somebody's private kitchen and who accept any risk there might be to themselves, which is laughably minimal. It's not like they're cooking up some blowfish. Home-baked goods are just about the safest food you could consume.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
2026 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
Means to an end. I think there is no big harm in small unregulated kitchens. There is reason for strict regulations imposed on commercial food industry - a contamination can affect health of large number of people. Small out of home kitchen just does not have that impact.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2372 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
Baked goods are exempt from the typical food licensing procedures
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto
If you buy something from there and get the chits, don't buy stuff from there no more.
Don't need to be a SpaceX engineer to figure this stuff out.
Our generation is in trouble, the next one more so, if people are posting threads like this.