Automotive

Lots of paint chips on hood -- spot repair or repaint the whole hood?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2022 1:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
1539 posts
3226 upvotes
Not Toronto

Lots of paint chips on hood -- spot repair or repaint the whole hood?

My 2012 Civic has about two dozen stone chips on the hood. Most of them have been neglected for a few years, so they've already started rusting.

I want to get them all fixed now, though. Would it make more sense to have the whole hood repainted instead of having them fixed individually? I haven't gotten a quote for either option, so I don't know how they compare in terms of price.

The paint on the 2012 model Civic seems to be quite thin and I'm sure the hood would still be a chip magnet if I don't get a better coat of paint on there, so I'd be willing to pay more for the full hood paint job if it would provide better protection in the future. The car is in great condition besides the paint, so I'm hoping to keep it in the family for another 10 years.

What would you guys choose to do to fix it?
On vacation
4 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10250 posts
8455 upvotes
Kootenays
I had our '09 Venza hood fully repainted after 8 years or so of chips. It came in around $1,200 including the front bumper. I quickly regretted not getting PPF at the same time. The chips were back quickly because it doesn't matter how "thick" the paint is, it's the fact that the lead has been removed. It did prevent any rust from forming.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4160 posts
4398 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Plenty of YouTube videos on how to fix stone chips. You gotta remove the rust first then just use a paint pen. It won't look perfect but better than rust.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33306 posts
15225 upvotes
If it has started rusting, you will need to get the whole hood repainted for best results. Otherwise the rust is going to continue underneath the touch-up and just start bubbling. You can certainly try those little sanding blocks to try to clean up the rust in the chip, but it's no guarantee there's not rust you either won't be able to get without sanding the entire area, or rust you're just not seeing already creeping under the chip.

I paid something around $2k to get the hood, bumper and fenders repainted on the TT (the fenders come all the way down the front right with the bumper so they were chipped to hell too). There was no rust in my case--all alum or plastic parts--but just way too many stone chips from the previous owners and 185k km on the clock, to repair well any other way.

I wouldn't count on any better chip protection from the repaint though. On a bumper in particular, it's always going to be worse than factory. Since you're only talking about the hood though, it could be better if the paint from Honda was poor and the paint from aftermarket is done well, however I wouldn't count on it being too much different. However if the hood has chips in it, I can't imagine the bumper is any better--it's probably worse, no?

The main things you want to do to prevent more chips in the future, after you perform whatever repairs you do:

-Keep your distance. Regardless of the moron left-lane bandits out there in Canada and it being very frustrating dealing with them...especially on the highway, keep at least 2-3 full car lengths from the car in front of you at a minimum. Not only is it safer, but you will significantly reduce the front end chipping/damage on your car. When behind tractor-trailers, allow at least a full trailer length, if not more, between you and the truck. It does help to have a car that accelerates strongly, in order to make up that distance when they do move over. Unfortunately Civic is not gonna help you out there, but them's the breaks.

-PPF. Probably the best/most surefire way to prevent chipping. However it's relatively expensive. After you have the hood painted, it's probably going to cost you nearly as much to get PPF done (depending on how much of the hood you want to cover). for a 2012 Civic it may not be that worth it