Shopping Discussion

Lottery ticket cancellation question ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2020 11:17 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2019
28 posts
11 upvotes

Lottery ticket cancellation question ?

Requested to buy 2 lotto tickets, to which cashier generated and brought 2 tickets to the till .
But had a change of my mind just before payment and requested if I can buy only 1 ticket instead of the 2.
No issue and was handed over 1 ticket instantly by the cashier and proceeded with the final payment of only 1 ticket.
My question is what happens to the 2nd ticket which was already generated as cashier just handed over 1 ticket like that ?
Also is there anything on my store payment receipt (customer copy) that will correspond to the ticket I brought home ?
Finally is there anywhere I can check if the ticket that I bought home is valid and actually entered into the pool ?

To avoid confusion: I have not seen the numbers on 2nd ticket. No I dont want to claim the 2nd ticket.
I just want to find a way validate that I was not handed over a cancelled ticket and the ticket I have is entered into the pool.
Last edited by Esso33888DewdneyTrunkRdMissionBC on Feb 19th, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
30 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
470 upvotes
Winnipeg
You can think of the store as a "reseller" of lottery. So they "buy" the tickets and resell them to you. The second ticket which was already generated will be cancelled by the clerk through the machine (examples here: https://lotto.bclc.com/retailer-hub/tra ... ideos.html). If the clerk doesn't cancel the ticket, the store is liable for the payment of that ticket.

However, did you see the clerk cancel a ticket in front of you and give you the cancellation receipt? There is the possibility that (if he/she is dishonest) to cancel the ticket, give that bad ticket to you and keep the good ticket. If you are seriously concerned, you should just go and scan your ticket in hand at any store and the clerk will tell you for what date it's been entered into the pool. If it's a cancel the ticket, you can report it to the police or your local lottery commission. They take these matters pretty seriously.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23471 posts
22422 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Good info here from @Capricornxs

On a few occasions, I have had a store clerk not get my intended order right for a lottery ticket

My immediate reaction is NOT TO CANCEL IT

As in my mind that is tempting fate / messing with Karma

So I always buy the messed up ticket (ie Clerk forget to add Encore)

And usually also add a second ticket ... that fits the criteria I wanted when I walked in the store

From convos I have had with other friends & family members ... I am not alone in my thinking

Somehow ... the universe wanted you to buy BOTH tickets, not just one

Lol don’t look a gifted horse in the mouth ... or bite the hand that feeds you

As the old sayings go
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22381 posts
3255 upvotes
Esso33888DewdneyTrunkRdMissionBC wrote: Requested to buy 2 lotto tickets, to which cashier generated and brought 2 tickets to the till .
But had a change of my mind just before payment and requested if I can buy only 1 ticket instead of the 2.
No issue and was handed over 1 ticket instantly by the cashier and proceeded with the final payment of only 1 ticket.
My question is what happens to the 2nd ticket which was already generated as cashier just handed over 1 ticket like that ?
Also is there anything on my store payment receipt (customer copy) that will correspond to the ticket I brought home ?
Finally is there anywhere I can check if the ticket that I bought home is valid and actually entered into the pool ?
The physical ticket is required to credit the ticket. Unless they cancelled the one handed to you, it will be valid.
Member
Jan 25, 2010
274 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've seem them put in the case with all the scratch tickets. If it's just randomly generated numbers, I don't see why they just wouldn't sell it to the next person who wants one.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 5, 2006
624 posts
470 upvotes
Winnipeg
PointsHubby wrote: Good info here from @Capricornxs

On a few occasions, I have had a store clerk not get my intended order right for a lottery ticket

My immediate reaction is NOT TO CANCEL IT

As in my mind that is tempting fate / messing with Karma

So I always buy the messed up ticket (ie Clerk forget to add Encore)
omg I have the same mentality lol. Would make a great story: bought the wrong ticket but it ended up being the right ticket :)
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13408 posts
8770 upvotes
Markham
Esso33888DewdneyTrunkRdMissionBC wrote: Requested to buy 2 lotto tickets, to which cashier generated and brought 2 tickets to the till .
But had a change of my mind just before payment and requested if I can buy only 1 ticket instead of the 2.
No issue and was handed over 1 ticket instantly by the cashier and proceeded with the final payment of only 1 ticket.
My question is what happens to the 2nd ticket which was already generated as cashier just handed over 1 ticket like that ?
Also is there anything on my store payment receipt (customer copy) that will correspond to the ticket I brought home ?
Finally is there anywhere I can check if the ticket that I bought home is valid and actually entered into the pool ?
What most likely happened is you left a winning ticket to the cashier
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16846 posts
5317 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: Good info here from @Capricornxs

On a few occasions, I have had a store clerk not get my intended order right for a lottery ticket

My immediate reaction is NOT TO CANCEL IT

As in my mind that is tempting fate / messing with Karma

So I always buy the messed up ticket (ie Clerk forget to add Encore)

And usually also add a second ticket ... that fits the criteria I wanted when I walked in the store

From convos I have had with other friends & family members ... I am not alone in my thinking

Somehow ... the universe wanted you to buy BOTH tickets, not just one

Lol don’t look a gifted horse in the mouth ... or bite the hand that feeds you

As the old sayings go
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Did happen

Voided ticket means $30M lottery loss
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... s-1.913424
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Member
Jul 28, 2017
260 posts
696 upvotes
OP, how are you going to sleep for the rest of your life knowing that the ticket you last minute cancelled and did not buy would have won you millions of dollars?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3183 posts
2850 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Esso33888DewdneyTrunkRdMissionBC wrote: My question is what happens to the 2nd ticket which was already generated as cashier just handed over 1 ticket like that ?
Depends on any legal requirements and/or store procedure. The agency may cancel them, they may make them available for purchase by others. I recall seeing tickets in the display for people to buy.
Also is there anything on my store payment receipt (customer copy) that will correspond to the ticket I brought home ?
No. It's not yours so you can't claim it.
Finally is there anywhere I can check if the ticket that I bought home is valid and actually entered into the pool ?
Why would you? "Oh...I almost had this ticket but I decided I didn't want it.."

Oh, of course I know you're looking for an angle to make a claim on the ticket you didn't pay for. Nope. Completely out of luck. You'd have to prove that you bought the ticket (i.e. paid for it) and since they would most likely have video cameras, you'd have a heck of a time proving that the reseller gave you the ticket you didn't want.

I'd never leave an excess ticket behind.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2019
28 posts
11 upvotes
Capricornxs wrote: You can think of the store as a "reseller" of lottery. So they "buy" the tickets and resell them to you. The second ticket which was already generated will be cancelled by the clerk through the machine (examples here: https://lotto.bclc.com/retailer-hub/tra ... ideos.html). If the clerk doesn't cancel the ticket, the store is liable for the payment of that ticket.

However, did you see the clerk cancel a ticket in front of you and give you the cancellation receipt? There is the possibility that (if he/she is dishonest) to cancel the ticket, give that bad ticket to you and keep the good ticket. If you are seriously concerned, you should just go and scan your ticket in hand at any store and the clerk will tell you for what date it's been entered into the pool. If it's a cancel the ticket, you can report it to the police or your local lottery commission. They take these matters pretty seriously.
It would be nice if the lotto ticket can be matched to the store receipt just like IMEI number when you buy a phone.

However, did you see the clerk cancel a ticket in front of you and give you the cancellation receipt? NO
Regardless it would be unfair to doubt anyone and I am not judging anyone; just wanted to make sure things are alright.

What if I put the numbers in lotto app then will it say if it entered or cancelled ? (Or verify cancelled ticket the only way is to use store machines
Or can verify with lotto commission directly ?
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2019
28 posts
11 upvotes
Retrodude wrote: OP, how are you going to sleep for the rest of your life knowing that the ticket you last minute cancelled and did not buy would have won you millions of dollars?
All I need for sleep is to make sure I was given a valid ticket and I was entered into the pool.
I did not get the chance to see the 2nd ticket numbers as it was still with the cashier, so I will never know.
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2019
28 posts
11 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Depends on any legal requirements and/or store procedure. The agency may cancel them, they may make them available for purchase by others. I recall seeing tickets in the display for people to buy.

No. It's not yours so you can't claim it.

Why would you? "Oh...I almost had this ticket but I decided I didn't want it.."

Oh, of course I know you're looking for an angle to make a claim on the ticket you didn't pay for. Nope. Completely out of luck. You'd have to prove that you bought the ticket (i.e. paid for it) and since they would most likely have video cameras, you'd have a heck of a time proving that the reseller gave you the ticket you didn't want.

I'd never leave an excess ticket behind.
I think you misunderstood my logic.
When I said the ticket I bought home = the ticket that was handed over to me & is physically in my possession.
Lets say cashier cancelled the ticket but gave it to me.
Again when I said I want to validate the ticket to the store receipt then I meant matching the ticket that I have with me to the store receipt.
Example - i have bough an iphone with imei 123 and store recipt mentions that I was sold imei 123 iphone.
No I don't want to claim anything but just want to know how to validate the the ticket I brought home is valid and entered into the pool.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8614 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: Good info here from @Capricornxs

On a few occasions, I have had a store clerk not get my intended order right for a lottery ticket

My immediate reaction is NOT TO CANCEL IT

As in my mind that is tempting fate / messing with Karma

So I always buy the messed up ticket (ie Clerk forget to add Encore)

And usually also add a second ticket ... that fits the criteria I wanted when I walked in the store

From convos I have had with other friends & family members ... I am not alone in my thinking

Somehow ... the universe wanted you to buy BOTH tickets, not just one

Lol don’t look a gifted horse in the mouth ... or bite the hand that feeds you

As the old sayings go
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I agree with you 100%. I always buy the mistake ticket. But I have never won anything on the mistake.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8614 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
Esso33888DewdneyTrunkRdMissionBC wrote: Requested to buy 2 lotto tickets, to which cashier generated and brought 2 tickets to the till .
But had a change of my mind just before payment and requested if I can buy only 1 ticket instead of the 2.
No issue and was handed over 1 ticket instantly by the cashier and proceeded with the final payment of only 1 ticket.
My question is what happens to the 2nd ticket which was already generated as cashier just handed over 1 ticket like that ?
Also is there anything on my store payment receipt (customer copy) that will correspond to the ticket I brought home ?
Finally is there anywhere I can check if the ticket that I bought home is valid and actually entered into the pool ?

To avoid confusion: I have not seen the numbers on 2nd ticket. No I dont want to claim the 2nd ticket.
I just want to find a way validate that I was not handed over a cancelled ticket and the ticket I have is entered into the pool.
Take the ticket to any lottery seller and scan the ticket. It should say Winner, not a winner or cancelled. That should give you your answer.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3183 posts
2850 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Esso33888DewdneyTrunkRdMissionBC wrote: No I don't want to claim anything but just want to know how to validate the the ticket I brought home is valid and entered into the pool.
Assuming it's a ticket for a lottery where the numbers are randomly generated regardless of whether there's a ticket with those numbers, the very fact you bought the ticket and left the store with it is good enough.

For a ticket to be voided, they have to scan it into the machine and press whatever keypresses they need to press to complete the void. They can't void a ticket that's not in their possession and (I believe I remember) there is a cancellation confirmation printed, which is then kept with the ticket/entered into the till/whatever they do, for auditing purposes.

Worst case scenario - you've got the ticket which was somehow voided without your knowledge and it has the winning numbers. You contact the lottery agency, and they would investigate. As long as you don't have any connection with the resellers or their staff, they'd basically just verify from video footage that you bought a ticket and were handed the ticket and then left. May take a couple of weeks, but unless there was something suspicious on your part, it wouldn't be an issue.

If your concern is whether the ticket was invalid right from the outset, I would scan it at one of the checking machines BEFORE the draw (assuming it's still pending) and if indeed it's an invalid ticket, you betcha...I'd open a complaint with the lottery agency based on the fact the reseller is selling invalidated tickets.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2019
28 posts
11 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Take the ticket to any lottery seller and scan the ticket. It should say Winner, not a winner or cancelled. That should give you your answer.
Thanks a lot. Thats all I wanted.
I hope the same can also be viewed on the mobile phone app. Regardless I will also scan at sdm nearby.
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2019
28 posts
11 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Assuming it's a ticket for a lottery where the numbers are randomly generated regardless of whether there's a ticket with those numbers, the very fact you bought the ticket and left the store with it is good enough.

For a ticket to be voided, they have to scan it into the machine and press whatever keypresses they need to press to complete the void. They can't void a ticket that's not in their possession and (I believe I remember) there is a cancellation confirmation printed, which is then kept with the ticket/entered into the till/whatever they do, for auditing purposes.

Worst case scenario - you've got the ticket which was somehow voided without your knowledge and it has the winning numbers. You contact the lottery agency, and they would investigate. As long as you don't have any connection with the resellers or their staff, they'd basically just verify from video footage that you bought a ticket and were handed the ticket and then left. May take a couple of weeks, but unless there was something suspicious on your part, it wouldn't be an issue.

If your concern is whether the ticket was invalid right from the outset, I would scan it at one of the checking machines BEFORE the draw (assuming it's still pending) and if indeed it's an invalid ticket, you betcha...I'd open a complaint with the lottery agency based on the fact the reseller is selling invalidated tickets.
Btw what options I have AFTER the draw ; is it the same if I check?

I HATE IT THAT THE TICKET DOES NOT EVEN HAVE TIME IT WAS GENERATED.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16846 posts
5317 upvotes
Markham
Esso33888DewdneyTrunkRdMissionBC wrote: Btw what options I have AFTER the draw ; is it the same if I check?

I HATE IT THAT THE TICKET DOES NOT EVEN HAVE TIME IT WAS GENERATED.
Just download OLG app,
Scan the ticket, if scanning before the results, will say results not available yet
if you scan after the draw, it will say if you are winner or not Winner.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2248 upvotes
Canadia
PointsHubby wrote: Somehow ... the universe wanted you to buy BOTH tickets, not just one
Back in reality, the odds of your Lotto 6/49 ticket *not* winning a cash prize are 97%. If you *do* win a cash prize, the odds that you'll win $10 or less are about 97%.

Lotteries are rigged in favour of the government, people. The province of Ontario alone raked in a profit of $2.47 billion in FY2018-19 from retail gambling. I understand your willingness to believe in pixies who sprinkle lucky number dust at the local 7-Eleven, but it's just fantasy. Like dragons and superheroes who can fly.

Top