• Oct 5th, 2020 11:20 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1332 posts
412 upvotes

Louboutin shoe sizing?

Hey all,

I'm looking to surprise my wife with a pair of Louboutin's for her birthday. I've spotted her looking at the black / red sole low / mid-heel options (she's 4"9) - so know the style she wants. However, I want to minimize a potential letdown of the incorrect size and doing the exchange. 80% of her heels are 6 1/2. Are the sizes fairly true or do they fit smaller / bigger?

Ex.
http://us.christianlouboutin.com/ca_en/ ... loise.html
http://us.christianlouboutin.com/ca_en/ ... clare.html

Thanks all.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2094 upvotes
It's a waste of time to guess the size since each model can fit slightly large or slightly small. Best to just take her to the store and try them on in person.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote: It's a waste of time to guess the size since each model can fit slightly large or slightly small. Best to just take her to the store and try them on in person.
Agreed. I wear a 9 - 9.5 and have a high arch (woman). But some size 10 shoes are too small for me, others are too big - but the size 9 in the same shoe will be too small. There are different factories where things are made. I even had a size 11 on that fit - I will try anything at this point - but size wise I have been told that I am a size 9. Note that these were not inexpensive shoes. The designer of the shoe can also affect the sizing. And designers of shoes/clothing can change and the items will no longer fit. I know this from experience.

For example a Chanel shoe in a size 9 will fit like an 8 or at best an 8.5 - that type of thing.

It would be best if you took wife shopping and let her try on the various shoe options to determine the appropriate fit and style. That way you won't be in the position of having to return the shoes and these days who knows what can be returned. It is possible that she won't like the fit of the shoes. I tried on a pair of Jil Sander shoes and they really hurt right at the ball of the foot. It was a shame because they fit. otherwise. So you can't just go by size alone. And sometimes the toe section will be too tight - or it will look tight but not be. You just never can tell. I have different sizes in my closet.

Best of luck to you and your wife and I hope she gets the shoes that she wants. I happen to agree with the medium height heel. Since your wife is only 4'9" she would not want a very high heel. I am 5'8" so can carry off a higher heeled shoe, but am at the point where I now opt for kitten type of heels based on age or flats . It happens to everyone! But I do not wear "frumpy". I need a shoe that has some style, despite my age.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1332 posts
412 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: Agreed. I wear a 9 - 9.5 and have a high arch (woman). But some size 10 shoes are too small for me, others are too big - but the size 9 in the same shoe will be too small. There are different factories where things are made. I even had a size 11 on that fit - I will try anything at this point - but size wise I have been told that I am a size 9. Note that these were not inexpensive shoes. The designer of the shoe can also affect the sizing. And designers of shoes/clothing can change and the items will no longer fit. I know this from experience.

For example a Chanel shoe in a size 9 will fit like an 8 or at best an 8.5 - that type of thing.

It would be best if you took wife shopping and let her try on the various shoe options to determine the appropriate fit and style. That way you won't be in the position of having to return the shoes and these days who knows what can be returned. It is possible that she won't like the fit of the shoes. I tried on a pair of Jil Sander shoes and they really hurt right at the ball of the foot. It was a shame because they fit. otherwise. So you can't just go by size alone. And sometimes the toe section will be too tight - or it will look tight but not be. You just never can tell. I have different sizes in my closet.

Best of luck to you and your wife and I hope she gets the shoes that she wants. I happen to agree with the medium height heel. Since your wife is only 4'9" she would not want a very high heel. I am 5'8" so can carry off a higher heeled shoe, but am at the point where I now opt for kitten type of heels based on age or flats . It happens to everyone! But I do not wear "frumpy". I need a shoe that has some style, despite my age.
Great feedback - thank you.
Married 15 years - I know enough that buying her the really high ones would get me the "you're sweet but stupid look" *laughs*
She's already showed me a couple pairs she's been dreaming of. I've read the sizing runs a bit small compared to regular shoes. I'll opt for an established seller with a reasonable return policy
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
canadian - yes, many years ago I lived with a short girl who bought very high heels to make herself appear taller. Fortunately she realized the issue (well it bothered her, but it wouldn't bother others).

Make sure of the return policy, now and going forward - emphasis on the going forward part due to the virus. I do not have any of the shoes in question (they do not fit me!) but yes, I do believe that they fit small. But it is also the shape of the shoe. You might call the company and ask for recommendations and about their sizing, and specifying the models that your wife has been looking at.

If you do order on-line, try and order a pair similar to what your wife now has - measure the length of her shoes and the toe beds and more than one pair of shoes. I had many pairs of shoes at one time that I bought at a medium to high end consignment shop (and they were new) - shoes are one item that I was careful about well before the virus, now many consignment shops are not taking them and besides, where do I go now! I have enough clothes thankfully since I am an impossible fit for everything. Even skin care is an issue unless I have used it before and it has not been reformulated.

Also do not leave it too late because of the current supply issue. Although I see lots of 6.5 shoes - being a size 9 - 10 is tough.

The only shoes that I could buy on-line have been discontinued. They are allbirds 2 hole runners and I have 5 pairs because I won't be able to get them going forward. I tried there 4 hole shoes but my arch is too high and they had to go back. I bought them directly from allbirds Canada so that there would not be any issues and they were always accessible by phone. I did have one pair that I bought at the Nordstrom pop-up store two years ago so I knew that they would fit and the lovely customer service rep found them for me.

You are braver than my husband who won't buy me anything - just as well because 1. the item won't fit and 2. because he has his late mother's taste (in short, bad - and that is just not my opinion - even my husband's opinion which kind of doesn't make any sense).
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
iirc, Louboutin fits smaller, so size up.

Does the woman like toe cleavage? It looks like there is a really low vamp on the first link's shoe.

Ideally, get the woman to try on the shoes in the store and walk around. This is important!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1332 posts
412 upvotes
Becks wrote: iirc, Louboutin fits smaller, so size up.

Does the woman like toe cleavage? It looks like there is a really low vamp on the first link's shoe.

Ideally, get the woman to try on the shoes in the store and walk around. This is important!
Well the good news is I sniffed out the design she wants and the Nordstrom site recommended sizing up. The bad news, they are $400 more. Oi!

https://us.christianlouboutin.com/ca_en ... belle.html
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
canadiancynosure wrote: Well the good news is I sniffed out the design she wants and the Nordstrom site recommended sizing up. The bad news, they are $400 more. Oi!

I didn't mention the price because I thought you knew what they cost. Personally, I think you would be lucky to get away with $900. And, yes, the sizing will be smaller and your wife should try them on. Just make sure that the shoes (if you still intend to buy them) are authentic - watch out for fakes.

Edited to add - if you want to spend $900 + on shoes for your wife that is your business and your business only. We each have things that we are willing to spend money on and that is up to the individual - not RFD.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
canadiancynosure wrote: Hey all,

I'm looking to surprise my wife with a pair of Louboutin's for her birthday. I've spotted her looking at the black / red sole low / mid-heel options (she's 4"9) - so know the style she wants. However, I want to minimize a potential letdown of the incorrect size and doing the exchange. 80% of her heels are 6 1/2. Are the sizes fairly true or do they fit smaller / bigger?

Ex.
http://us.christianlouboutin.com/ca_en/ ... loise.html
http://us.christianlouboutin.com/ca_en/ ... clare.html

Thanks all.
I have a similar pair of CL pumps (“So Kate” and the “Pigalle”). Check out the reviews (as those 2 styles are very similar to what you have posted) and ask the sales associate which style is more comfortable.

I would size +1 up for Louboutin to a 37. Be aware that many CL styles are not comfortable until well worn and/or the fact your wife (like myself) is a half size make sure she can easily return & exchange.
Last edited by BrunetteGirl on Sep 21st, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
canadiancynosure wrote: Well the good news is I sniffed out the design she wants and the Nordstrom site recommended sizing up. The bad news, they are $400 more. Oi!

I recommend buying from the boutique (Yorkdale or Yorkville).

If your wife is able to go in to a physical boutique and try on the shoes she wants / is confident about the size I would look at websites like Mytheresa, Net-a-Porter, Farfetch and Luis via Roma.

Regular European pricing is much better then USD pricing.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes

As for those basic Louboutin styles that always get restocked, can't u wait for some gift card promo at Holt Renfrew or something?
Last edited by MrDisco on Sep 21st, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread cleanup
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
Used to work there, lots of men in your position. Let me make it easy.

All CL Classics fit differently and depends on the foot.

My suggestion is buy at the boutique where she can go an try different sizes, styles, height. etc
*If u want a surprise just go to the boutique knowing her size and pick something out, you can always come back with her and exchange for size, style etc. - Within 14 days

My inner SA will tell her to get a 100MM heel (Pigalle, Decollete, Iriza or Cornielle) - This will give you the best red sole/comfort ratio. - Decollete, Iriza and Cornielle have a thinner heel, Pigalles is thicker but more stable. 85MM are also a great option if she wants more comfortable.
If she can do the So Kate at 120MM then go for it! Its a SEXY Shoe....But most women can't do it. Ladies often exchange them for a 100MM. The Decollete i always felt gives the illusion of a So Kate at a more comfortable height.

Patent leather - easiest care, hardest to break in, keeps its shape
Nappa Leather/kid leather - prone to scratches, easiest to break in, doesn't keeps its shape as good as patent.

*First shoe should always be patent from CL

- PM me if u need an SA to work with @ Yorkville
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
I used to like patent leather until I found out it can degrade (it starts to get sticky). I have a patent Louboutin clutch purse that is doing that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2094 upvotes
Anything less than 100mm is a waste of time (& money), and are not the iconic CL look.

Mar 31, 2017
117 posts
72 upvotes
OP I agree with other posters that it’s best to have her try on the specific model she wants in store as sizing varies between different styles. I have multiple pairs of CL and my size ranges between 37 to 38.5. Also trying them on in store will allow her to get a feel for if she is comfortable with the heel height of 100 mm 85 mm or lower. If she can do 120 mm all the power to her. It’s sexy as hell but I can’t even take 2 steps in 120 mm without looking like an idiot Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1332 posts
412 upvotes
SeeCCC wrote: OP I agree with other posters that it’s best to have her try on the specific model she wants in store as sizing varies between different styles. I have multiple pairs of CL and my size ranges between 37 to 38.5. Also trying them on in store will allow her to get a feel for if she is comfortable with the heel height of 100 mm 85 mm or lower. If she can do 120 mm all the power to her. It’s sexy as hell but I can’t even take 2 steps in 120 mm without looking like an idiot Face With Tears Of Joy
Thanks for the suggestion - she's 4'10 (size 6), so that's why I was looking at 85mm. But based on what you wrote I'll take her to the store. Less "wow" factor, but better than exchanging it 3 times for the right size. Would you know which of the stores in the GTA have the widest shoe selection? Yorkdale (Holt Renfrew) or do we need to make the trip to Yorkville?
Mar 31, 2017
117 posts
72 upvotes
canadiancynosure wrote: Thanks for the suggestion - she's 4'10 (size 6), so that's why I was looking at 85mm. But based on what you wrote I'll take her to the store. Less "wow" factor, but better than exchanging it 3 times for the right size. Would you know which of the stores in the GTA have the widest shoe selection? Yorkdale (Holt Renfrew) or do we need to make the trip to Yorkville?
The 'wow' factor will still be there. You'll get tons of points for taking the initiative and listening to her wants.

Sorry but I won't be able to help much on the store selections here. I try to avoid CL here as I had some bad experiences with the SAs being extremely rude and snobby. They were usually OOS in my size for classic styles as well. I usually only buy 3 to 4 pairs of designer shoes each year so I'm not considered VIP.

I've purchased CL from US, Europe and Asia and they treat their customers soooooo much better which is why I try to buy them abroad.

If you know which style she wants maybe you can try to call in advance to see if they have her size ranges before you go with her. If you don't know what style she has her eye on, it wouldn't hurt to ask how many size 36 or 36.5 they order for a particular style.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
canadiancynosure wrote: Thanks for the suggestion - she's 4'10 (size 6), so that's why I was looking at 85mm. But based on what you wrote I'll take her to the store. Less "wow" factor, but better than exchanging it 3 times for the right size. Would you know which of the stores in the GTA have the widest shoe selection? Yorkdale (Holt Renfrew) or do we need to make the trip to Yorkville?
If she is looking for classics, Yorkdale or Yorkville basically have the same selection for the most part. The difference is in the seasonal buys. Her being a 36/36.5, she will most likely find the size at either locations.
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)