loud muffler cars and bikes

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 6:21 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2017
339 posts
158 upvotes

loud muffler cars and bikes

why is this allowed still? tech has improved vehicles so much that a loud car or bike should be outlawed by now, most are modded too no? not just a crappy old loud muffler.

if i screamed at the top of my lungs in a public setting, a cop would warn me to stop or i would get a ticket, but a driver can drive by a area with crazy noise pollution thats 10x the sound of my lungs and its ok??????????????????? then they purposely rev there engines to to make it even louder and the corrupt government doesnt do nothing about it?????????mmmmmmmmmmmmm
44 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9043 posts
2899 upvotes
Yep. Drivers want you to know they exist, look at me, but most of us could care less. Annoying.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13258 posts
7380 upvotes
Toronto
this crap should be banned.

I was in Montreal last weekend and woke up to the sound of 6 Harley's idling at 6:30 am right outside the window of the hotel.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1930 upvotes
markham
Swerny wrote: this crap should be banned.

I was in Montreal last weekend and woke up to the sound of 6 Harley's idling at 6:30 am right outside the window of the hotel.
sorry we woke you
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13578 posts
8539 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I call them, 'fart cans'.....them fat ass mufflers on ricer cars.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 4, 2006
764 posts
392 upvotes
Ottawa
The Harley crew is the worst. Straight pipes, full throttle through the gears, downshifts with throttle blips on each gear every stop. I guess their brakes don't work. Or they like the attention.
Dec 30, 2016
94 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
^It's called bikesexual.
South Park have some very informative educational video about their struggles in today's world.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5795 posts
2918 upvotes
Mississauga
Bikers will argue it's for their own safety that they need to make their bikes as loud as possible. Not so sure I believe that.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1428 posts
1781 upvotes
The reason is like many things associated with vehicles - EGO and VANITY - and the association of noise with power and performance.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11502 posts
7791 upvotes
Edmonton
slash407 wrote: why is this allowed still? tech has improved vehicles so much that a loud car or bike should be outlawed by now, most are modded too no? not just a crappy old loud muffler.

if i screamed at the top of my lungs in a public setting, a cop would warn me to stop or i would get a ticket, but a driver can drive by a area with crazy noise pollution thats 10x the sound of my lungs and its ok??????????????????? then they purposely rev there engines to to make it even louder and the corrupt government doesnt do nothing about it?????????mmmmmmmmmmmmm
It's no more "allowed" than speeding, running a stop sign, driving without a seatbelt, improperly tinted windows, or any other Highway Traffic Act violations. It's a question of enforcement. And frankly, the cops probably figure there's higher priority items on their plate to deal with. So typically noise violations would tacked onto other violations if the cop decides to make a point.

As far as your example of screaming at the top of your lungs in public, not sure of it's accuracy or validity. Here in town, there's a couple of "street preachers" who stand on a major downtown street corner with a PA system and spew nonsense. Cops never bother to ask them to turn it down. Same could be said of my neighbor's screaming kids, who will spend an entire afternoon out screeching their fool heads off. Noise bylaws are pretty lax in general, at least during "normal waking hours".

C
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14064 posts
8487 upvotes
Toronto
Worse, some dealers will sell their vehicles well above the 'allowed' decibel range. But it's always the same old offenders.
Harleys
Sport bikes
Muscle cars
Exotics even some normal performance badge Ms AMGs Maserati

This year has been exceptionally worse since it's been a relatively dry summer in the GTA and therefore, you get more of the above.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 29, 2011
956 posts
336 upvotes
Milton
slash407 wrote: why is this allowed still? tech has improved vehicles so much that a loud car or bike should be outlawed by now, most are modded too no? not just a crappy old loud muffler.

They've tried, several police forces in the GTA or Golden Horseshoe area have even had blitzes in the last few months to crack down on it.

The problem is it's apparently very hard to enforce or for a charge to hold up. Often the people getting tickets will just challenge the accuracy of the sound measurement in court, or in terms of the mods themselves, juts remove them to be approved then re-install them back later.

Based on the results getting posted by the cops, a lot of the people also seem to have other infractions. With cars especially, it seems most are younger (under 23) and already have a suspended license, or invalid registrations or expired plates. It's not just otherwise law-abiding people, they're a-holes that just don't care about any of it.
mrweather wrote: Bikers will argue it's for their own safety that they need to make their bikes as loud as possible. Not so sure I believe that.
I rode for years, it's total nonsense. If it was about safety these people would also be wearing proper gear, but while one might exist (a figurative unicorn), to date I've never seen someone wearing full safety riding gear (including proper pants, full-face helmets, jacket to the wrists with gloves) that had loud pipes.

It's always the ones wearing open face helmets or brain buckets, and maybe no proper jacket at all. I'm sure many wouldn't be wearing a helmet at all if not required by law.

They just like being loud.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18381 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
Annoying AF.

Isn't this excessive noise, disturbing the peace.

Honestly I'm not surprised police are not enforcing it.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18381 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I call them, 'fart cans'.....them fat ass mufflers on ricer cars.
I only hear it on Domestics.

Vin Diesel wannabe MOFO lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5795 posts
2918 upvotes
Mississauga
bembol wrote: I only hear it on Domestics.
Lulwut? I’ve only ever encountered garbage/fart can exhausts on Civics and Golfs.