• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 5:51 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 27, 2019
99 posts
143 upvotes

Loud vibrating Furnace A/C Fan

video below. This is in a new place, only been operating for a year. Haven't really used the A/C but the two times we did it became super loud and shaking/vibrating after a few hours of use.

It's a High Velocity systems cooling module RCM-50 A/C unit

The part that shakes violently is the furnace/blower fan motor just above the evaporator coils (not technical myself just looked the parts up on youtube)

Any idea or does the video clip / behavior described sound normal for an A/C unit like this ?

https://imgur.com/psTVyjG
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2791 posts
1256 upvotes
Mississauga
It sounds like a buzzing transformer to me but that should not cause violent shakes around the furnace/blower fan motor. Vibration around the the blower points to a blower motor issue but you should have noticed it before you turned on the A/C unless its been slowly getting worse.

If it is a new place as in new build why not call in for a warranty repair? It should be no cost to you.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12091 posts
6981 upvotes
Markham
Was the AC running when you took the video? I only hear buzzing.

There should be a number on the unit from the installer, if you're concerned you might want to call them. It's a new unit so it should be warrantied.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2294 posts
309 upvotes
Kitchener
Strange sound indeed but if it happens after a couple of hours of the AC running it could be frozen. Freezing happens when there isn't enough air flow or you refrigerant is low.

Start with airflow. Check the filter, the vents are open, your return airs are not blocked, the outdoor condensor is clean and the fan is spinning.

If you don't find any red flags call a technician because you won't be able to solve the refrigerant issue.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2019
99 posts
143 upvotes
Thanks for the tips, I have the warranty people coming next week
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1316 posts
718 upvotes
ottawa
Dirtypoodle wrote: Thanks for the tips, I have the warranty people coming next week
Sounds like my furnace earlier this year - turned out to be the ball bearings on the inducer motor which led to very poor air circulation in the house.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2019
99 posts
143 upvotes
Turned out construction in the area was causing the filter to get too dirty too quick and this ,limited the airflow which caused it to freeze up. Simple fix luckily. By my eye the filter didn't look dirty ... but I wasn't at all familiar with them, now I know at least. Hopefully my mistake helps someone else out if they're searching.