• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2022 11:42 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
889 posts
347 upvotes

Love a nicely cleaned engine bay

How do these guys do it so fast? This was done in 45mins, first time cleaning the engine bay in the 7 years I've had the car. It was so filthy. When I try to do it, it takes a whole day, I'm exhausted after and I don't get it anywhere close to this clean.

They cleaned it right down to the bottom including inside of the hood.
20220321_155715.jpg
Last edited by DiamondDallasPage on Mar 21st, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
17 replies
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
889 posts
347 upvotes
theurbansuburban wrote: Looking good. What did you use to clean?
I got it done at my Honda dealer since they only quoted me $50 to do it and $20 for a synthetic oil change which was too good to refuse. Got shuttled back home and back to the dealer after, well worth it, couldn't pass it up.

Not sure what they used. Curious myself. I could easily waste $40 on product that don't do near as good of a job, plus the time involved.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5200 posts
7055 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Same way you clean your car - use a bucket, fill with car soap, use an old wash mitt and soap up everything.
Spray down with water and common sense - modern cars can take some water no problem - just don't spray directly into spark plug holes, dip stick, alternator, electrical connectors - few drops is not an issue.
Don't pressure wash (although I have done that too on a really dirty car- again just use common sense)
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13513 posts
5139 upvotes
Ontario
Some automotive degreaser, some soap, water then a product to make the plastic shine is all you need.
If you clean it regularly like once or twice a year then its easier to clean. If you only do it once every few years then it will be harder.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
20523 posts
21857 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Looks good! Deal was well worth it.
Dec 16, 2021
152 posts
210 upvotes
This is a pretty sweet deal. I used soap and water and a cloth and then some armour all a few times. The results are not bad. $50 seems like a good deal for what you got. Now you just need to keep it clean going forward and it will always look new.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
20523 posts
21857 upvotes
Richmond Hill
theurbansuburban wrote: This is a pretty sweet deal. I used soap and water and a cloth and then some armour all a few times. The results are not bad. $50 seems like a good deal for what you got. Now you just need to keep it clean going forward and it will always look new.
Next use simple green. Works really really well and no scrubbing required.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2275 posts
1361 upvotes
Vancouver
Key to keeping the engine bay looking good is cleaning it regularly not every couple years. I wipe down my engine bay after every car wash. I don't use any chemicals or spray any water in the engine bay (not comfortable spraying water directly at my engine). I usually detail the engine bay 2-3 times a year.

The dealership would of had to use some heavy chemical cleaning agents and really sprayed down that engine good if it hasn't been touched in 7 years just hope they didn't get any water in your air intake.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
38011 posts
5662 upvotes
Winnipeg
If you use soap and water to wash your engine, do you do it at the driveway? I'm wondering how you deal with the greasy water run off? Or take it to a wand wash place and use the wand soap to wash off the engine bay?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2275 posts
1361 upvotes
Vancouver
divx wrote: If you use soap and water to wash your engine, do you do it at the driveway? I'm wondering how you deal with the greasy water run off? Or take it to a wand wash place and use the wand soap to wash off the engine bay?
If your engine bay is dirty I doubt soap will do you'll need a cleaning agent, degreaser etc. I also heard it is a good idea to tape off electrical parts and electrical connections before spraying and be careful of getting water into your air intake.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
38011 posts
5662 upvotes
Winnipeg
kev604 wrote: If your engine bay is dirty I doubt soap will do you'll need a cleaning agent, degreaser etc. I also heard it is a good idea to tape off electrical parts and electrical connections before spraying and be careful of getting water into your air intake.
Right, I got that part. But are you just letting the degreaser and water washdown your driveway?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1439 upvotes
kev604 wrote: If your engine bay is dirty I doubt soap will do you'll need a cleaning agent, degreaser etc. I also heard it is a good idea to tape off electrical parts and electrical connections before spraying and be careful of getting water into your air intake.
Yeah I've seen people tape off their electricals. How do you get water in the intake though?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
3010 posts
4338 upvotes
Barrie, ON
r1lee wrote: Yeah I've seen people tape off their electricals. How do you get water in the intake though?
You don't, lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2001 posts
2046 upvotes
Ottawa
Warm water + Dawn soap and sponge is the best for this purpose. Not a big fan of using acidic engine degreasers on important components. They also suck for the heavy dirt and grease that you find in engine bays.

If Dawn soap is good enough to clean birds covered in heavy crude oil, it’s more than good enough for my engine bay.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)