Home & Garden

low hot water pressure

  • Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 5:42 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 21, 2010
805 posts
307 upvotes
toronto

low hot water pressure

just noticed today all hot water taps in the house 2200 sq ffot house... with hot on low pressure,,when on cold water pressure is fine....have relience water heater rental...thinking its probably the anode rod within the hot water tank as calcium around bolt by water tank....so beacuse its rentral i believe its covered for free for reliance to change anode rod....
16 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15665 posts
16819 upvotes
Oakville
your best bet wrote: just noticed today all hot water taps in the house 2200 sq ffot house... with hot on low pressure,,when on cold water pressure is fine....have relience water heater rental...thinking its probably the anode rod within the hot water tank as calcium around bolt by water tank....so beacuse its rentral i believe its covered for free for reliance to change anode rod....
Anode rod won't affect the pressure. How old is the tank? It could be clogged with minerals. If it's old and never been serviced (drained), then it will likely need replacing. Do yourself a favour and don't sign up for an expensive rental with them again. Save the thousands you'll keep by installing your own and invest it. Make sure to do regular maintenance, like draining it and changing the anode every 5 years or so.

If it's a newer rental, keep complaining to them until they come and fix the tank.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 21, 2010
805 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
15 year old mattamy home...
i remember about 5 years ago ..had an issue and reliance change the anode rod,,no cost
engineered wrote: Anode rod won't affect the pressure. How old is the tank? It could be clogged with minerals. If it's old and never been serviced (drained), then it will likely need replacing. Do yourself a favour and don't sign up for an expensive rental with them again. Save the thousands you'll keep by installing your own and invest it. Make sure to do regular maintenance, like draining it and changing the anode every 5 years or so.

If it's a newer rental, keep complaining to them until they come and fix the tank.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3922 posts
1910 upvotes
your best bet wrote: just noticed today all hot water taps in the house 2200 sq ffot house... with hot on low pressure,,when on cold water pressure is fine....have relience water heater rental...thinking its probably the anode rod within the hot water tank as calcium around bolt by water tank....so beacuse its rentral i believe its covered for free for reliance to change anode rod....
Could be your mixing valve is the problem.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 21, 2010
805 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
just noticed now water pressure is back to normal....Image

as well noticed my valve is leaking..i belive its shutoff valve for cold on hot water tank..couple of questions..what happenes if this valve is off....as welll...looking to change that blue valve with another
any suggestions which one.so wont leak again..tighted the packing but but still leaking

thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15665 posts
16819 upvotes
Oakville
your best bet wrote: just noticed now water pressure is back to normal....

as well noticed my valve is leaking..i belive its shutoff valve for cold on hot water tank..couple of questions..what happenes if this valve is off....as welll...looking to change that blue valve with another
any suggestions which one.so wont leak again..tighted the packing but but still leaking

thanks
Your neighbour stopped filling their pool :)

Be sure to replace it with a quality ball valve.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 21, 2010
805 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
any suggestions from rona home depot for one

thanks
engineered wrote: Your neighbour stopped filling their pool :)

Be sure to replace it with a quality ball valve.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2492 posts
916 upvotes
Woodbridge
Your problem has been fixed temporarily if it was caused by the heat trap ( balls in dip tube and on hot side nipple ). Its not uncommon for these heat traps to get trapped incorrectly thus preventing the proper water flow. Here is the image to give you better understanding.
https://images.app.goo.gl/aNQm7PkZ8smqD8Mn9
your best bet wrote: just noticed today all hot water taps in the house 2200 sq ffot house... with hot on low pressure,,when on cold water pressure is fine....have relience water heater rental...thinking its probably the anode rod within the hot water tank as calcium around bolt by water tank....so beacuse its rentral i believe its covered for free for reliance to change anode rod....
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2492 posts
916 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you are not very handy and dont know how to braze, this is your best bet
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkb ... lsrc=aw.ds
your best bet wrote: just noticed now water pressure is back to normal...

as well noticed my valve is leaking..i belive its shutoff valve for cold on hot water tank..couple of questions..what happenes if this valve is off....as welll...looking to change that blue valve with another
any suggestions which one.so wont leak again..tighted the packing but but still leaking

thanks
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2294 posts
309 upvotes
Kitchener
I agree the heat trap are likely the issue. Reliance would remove them for free should it rear it's head again. Although convincing the tech to do it maybe a challenge.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 21, 2010
805 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
so would you suggest i tell reliance when they come over that im thinking its the heat trap.....or they would figure it out.....
thanks
Double_J wrote: I agree the heat trap are likely the issue. Reliance would remove them for free should it rear it's head again. Although convincing the tech to do it maybe a challenge.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2294 posts
309 upvotes
Kitchener
It is ac season so they will send a contractor or water heater installer. These guys are paid piece work and likely won't want to come to that conclusion because they want easier jobs. You'd have to tell them you want it removed on the hot side. I believe some tanks may have had heat traps on the hot and cold side but I might be wrong.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15665 posts
16819 upvotes
Oakville
Double_J wrote: It is ac season so they will send a contractor or water heater installer. These guys are paid piece work and likely won't want to come to that conclusion because they want easier jobs. You'd have to tell them you want it removed on the hot side. I believe some tanks may have had heat traps on the hot and cold side but I might be wrong.
From what I understand the trap would only be on the cold intake pipe, as hot water would rise up and cold flow down, but the oppose won't happen on the hot end because hot water rises.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 21, 2010
805 posts
307 upvotes
toronto
thanks for the responses..as of now the hot water pressure is working....reliance is coming tomorrow....not sure if i should cancel that appointmant....not sure if i get charged if thaey find nothing wrong with the water tank...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2294 posts
309 upvotes
Kitchener
your best bet wrote: thanks for the responses..as of now the hot water pressure is working....reliance is coming tomorrow....not sure if i should cancel that appointmant....not sure if i get charged if thaey find nothing wrong with the water tank...
You won't be charged, it's included as part of rental.

Top