• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2020 7:42 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2778 posts
894 upvotes

Low milage rav4

I have a 2015 toroya rav 4 and put in arounf 25k km. I got my car in for a maintenance and they said my break pads are warn out and it will cost $440 to replace them. Is that excessive or are they trying to pull a fast one on me? Also is it normal for break pads to wear out so quickly? Help! Cause i can't afford new breaks especially now!!!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2767 posts
2000 upvotes
Brake pads only for 440 is a rip.
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11744 posts
5656 upvotes
Whats the ratio of city vs highway driving on that 25k kms?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1455 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto
Get a second opinion from another mechanic.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 22, 2005
3983 posts
3167 upvotes
Ottawa
Electrah wrote: Get a second opinion from another mechanic.
+1 if you can't check the brakes yourself
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7157 posts
3613 upvotes
West GTEH!
Phat_cow wrote: I have a 2015 toroya rav 4 and put in arounf 25k km. I got my car in for a maintenance and they said my break pads are warn out and it will cost $440 to replace them. Is that excessive or are they trying to pull a fast one on me? Also is it normal for break pads to wear out so quickly? Help! Cause i can't afford new breaks especially now!!!
Electrah wrote: Get a second opinion from another mechanic.
gumby wrote: +1 if you can't check the brakes yourself
Definitely get a 2nd opinion.
Did they say how much pad material is left?
25K is very low mileage to need pad replacement. Unless you're hard on your brakes.
😎
Jr. Member
Apr 25, 2018
179 posts
216 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I find that if you drive very little, they rust out before the pads are gone. Happened to me... rust ate all of the rotors, so even with more than half the pad left, the contact surface was significantly diminished and thus required replacement.
Member
Apr 25, 2019
301 posts
122 upvotes
is there any noise from break when you hit the break paddle?

i doubt they would need replacement at 25k and 440 is too much. my friend got his rear break pads on his mazda replaced with hareware plus labour was 130 cad.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1380 posts
857 upvotes
Recommending brake jobs much earlier than needed is one of the most common tactics used by service advisors to increase revenue. Some are paid 100% by commission. Sometimes, they don't actually check your pads, just automatically recommend replacing.

25,000 km would be unusually early -- maybe possible if lots of stop and go, and aggressive driving.

There was a CBC Marketplace investigation that showed recommending service more frequently than needed is a common problem:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/market ... -1.4300557

Not just an issue in Canada. But common in the US as well (Edmonds ranks early brake jobs as one of the top ten reasons you are overpaying for service).

How to tell if you need new brakes: https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-g ... new-brakes
Sr. Member
Feb 5, 2007
676 posts
278 upvotes
+1
You can almost always stretch things further. If they still feel good still just say no.
Member
Mar 5, 2018
324 posts
144 upvotes
Brake pads only or with rotors? For both front and rear sides or just 1 of them?

You can go to this site http://www.rockauto.com and check the price + shipping for hardware price. Labor cost in a 3rd garage is about 100$-150$ for front or rear.

Last year, I bought from Rockauto 2 RAYBESTOS front rotors + 2 brake pads, Honda CRV 2014, about 115 CAD, including taxes and shipping to my house in 2-3 days.
If you go to a regular garage, it should be 200$-300$ for rotors AND pads, front or rear.

P.S: my Honda CRV, the rear side caliper was stuck and I got the brake pads, one side only, premature used, had to replace them around 25K km as well. (AKEBONO rear for 99$ CAD allins)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2778 posts
894 upvotes
God damn it! They balanced the summer tires even when I told them not to.....only noticed after I got home and looked at the invoice. FML!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2778 posts
894 upvotes
TomShopper wrote: Brake pads only or with rotors? For both front and rear sides or just 1 of them?

You can go to this site http://www.rockauto.com and check the price + shipping for hardware price. Labor cost in a 3rd garage is about 100$-150$ for front or rear.

Last year, I bought from Rockauto 2 RAYBESTOS front rotors + 2 brake pads, Honda CRV 2014, about 115 CAD, including taxes and shipping to my house in 2-3 days.
If you go to a regular garage, it should be 200$-300$ for rotors AND pads, front or rear.

P.S: my Honda CRV, the rear side caliper was stuck and I got the brake pads, one side only, premature used, had to replace them around 25K km as well. (AKEBONO rear for 99$ CAD allins)
So, this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 45&jsn=424
will include front left and front right pads and rotors?

Edit: HOLY CRAP $78 shipping!
Sr. Member
Jan 18, 2017
743 posts
346 upvotes
KIT#: KT039943
$132.60 CAD; free shipping

https://www.maxbrakes.com/ ; for rotors and pads

Labour probably 2-3 hours; @ $60-70/h. Shop around and find an independent mechanic you trust. Where are you located?

But brakes at 25k seems really early. Even with 100% city driving; unless your are riding the brakes everywhere you go. I reckon you might not even need new brakes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2778 posts
894 upvotes
KevCnew wrote: KIT#: KT039943
$132.60 CAD; free shipping

https://www.maxbrakes.com/ ; for rotors and pads

Labour probably 2-3 hours; @ $60-70/h. Shop around and find an independent mechanic you trust. Where are you located?

But brakes at 25k seems really early. Even with 100% city driving; unless your are riding the brakes everywhere you go. I reckon you might not even need new brakes.
Thanks for the link. I will probably go with this one. I'm from NB.

The dealershop said the front pads has 2mm left and the rear has 4mm. This should still be good for a little longer but in the mean time. I'm gonna call around to see how much it will be to have it installed.

Edit: Nevermind I won't be getting these: anyone-use-maxbrakes-com-1490475/11/
Member
Dec 1, 2009
243 posts
195 upvotes
In the 5 yrs, how often did you have your brakes serviced?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37030 posts
22995 upvotes
Center of Universe
Phat_cow wrote: God damn it! They balanced the summer tires even when I told them not to.....only noticed after I got home and looked at the invoice. FML!
Which dealership, so others can avoid?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2016
1640 posts
1708 upvotes
don't go to dealership for anything but oil changes. And even for oil changes I rather go elsewhere to be honest.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 15, 2005
6251 posts
1788 upvotes
TomShopper wrote: Brake pads only or with rotors? For both front and rear sides or just 1 of them?

You can go to this site http://www.rockauto.com and check the price + shipping for hardware price. Labor cost in a 3rd garage is about 100$-150$ for front or rear.

Last year, I bought from Rockauto 2 RAYBESTOS front rotors + 2 brake pads, Honda CRV 2014, about 115 CAD, including taxes and shipping to my house in 2-3 days.
If you go to a regular garage, it should be 200$-300$ for rotors AND pads, front or rear.

P.S: my Honda CRV, the rear side caliper was stuck and I got the brake pads, one side only, premature used, had to replace them around 25K km as well. (AKEBONO rear for 99$ CAD allins)
$115 for pads and rotors is cheap. I paid the $99 for the Akebonos, which took forever to get in, and another $150 for better rotors even though they're no where near the min specs. $249 every 10 years isn't bad. The front brakes are easy to do if you have a pad spreader.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Member
Mar 5, 2018
324 posts
144 upvotes
Akebonos pads are very good, I don't feel any different performance with OEM. The bad thing is they don't come with hardware. So I try the Raybestos Hybrid as they get very good reviews on Internet and much cheaper.
Akebonos are made in USA, Raybestos made in China. I have replaced the whole kits Raybestos for the rear, the performance is very good. Coated rotors seem cannot hold good for our Quebec winter.

Top