Computers & Electronics

Low profile gfx - triple monitor support?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2016 12:42 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4300 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto

Low profile gfx - triple monitor support?

I have been trying to find an answer and so far I have come up short. Looking for a low profile GPU that can output 3 displays for productivity use so its horse power doesn't really matter. No rendering or acceleration will be done. No gaming.

I still see 3 ports but only 2 displays on some graphics cards I find like r7 240 etc... Are we still being limited to low power GPU's only being able to run 2? Trying to find a slim low profile gpu (ideally). Am I SOL? Max budget is like $100 (maybe little more if its the only one I can find).

Thanks RFD
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
804 upvotes
Do you have onboard video? (is the PC the one in your signature line? - Look for "Surround View" in the BIOS)

Newer systems allow onboard to be simultaneously used with an external card so that might be an option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4300 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
tkyoshi wrote: Do you have onboard video? (is the PC the one in your signature line? - Look for "Surround View" in the BIOS)

Newer systems allow onboard to be simultaneously used with an external card so that might be an option.
Actually no this isn't for the one in my signature. Work usage so slim machine like dells or HP's with a PCI-E support. I have never done the onboard route with a secondary GPU in the system. Does it cause driver issues? Instability?

But is there a low profile gpu than can handle 3 displays?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
804 upvotes
Zero1 wrote: Actually no this isn't for the one in my signature. Work usage so slim machine like dells or HP's with a PCI-E support. I have never done the onboard route with a secondary GPU in the system. Does it cause driver issues? Instability?

But is there a low profile gpu than can handle 3 displays?
It shouldn't, Intel/AMD support this naively now, some of the earlier motherboards had something called Lucid VirtuMVP can be a bit finicky (mostly for 3D as it virtualizes the GPU), but as of Haswell Intel now supports it w/o any specialized software or drivers. You just have to enable Multi Monitor Support in the BIOS.

From what I've seen no for all digital, however keep in mind for lower end cards OEMs try and keep costs down so a 3rd output is not high on their priority list as the majority of people are happy with 2.

However If you're willing to accept 1 VGA monitor then there are low profile cards that have DVI/HDMI/VGA. Something like this:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce ... 108440.htm

Double check but you'll notice the VGA connector is on a ribbon, they should include a LP bracket and you'll move the VGA connector onto the slot on the LP bracket.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
tkyoshi wrote: It shouldn't, Intel/AMD support this naively now, some of the earlier motherboards had something called Lucid VirtuMVP can be a bit finicky (mostly for 3D as it virtualizes the GPU), but as of Haswell Intel now supports it w/o any specialized software or drivers. You just have to enable Multi Monitor Support in the BIOS.

From what I've seen no for all digital, however keep in mind for lower end cards OEMs try and keep costs down so a 3rd output is not high on their priority list as the majority of people are happy with 2.

However If you're willing to accept 1 VGA monitor then there are low profile cards that have DVI/HDMI/VGA. Something like this:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce ... 108440.htm

Double check but you'll notice the VGA connector is on a ribbon, they should include a LP bracket and you'll move the VGA connector onto the slot on the LP bracket.
Even with Lucid VirtuMVP, if you use a nvidia gpu before the 600 series, you will still only be able to use 2 screens
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
804 upvotes
Dinujan wrote: Even with Lucid VirtuMVP, if you use a nvidia gpu before the 600 series, you will still only be able to use 2 screens
Hmmm good point, although it may work with just IGP Multi Monitor enabled and not worrying about all the Lucid virtualization stuff. I know it works for sure on Haswell up, I just haven't tried it personally on Sandy/Ivy Bridge.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2001
1029 posts
128 upvotes
Edmonton
Lucid MVP is no longer supported by its maker.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4300 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
Wonderful. Guess I have to experiment now to see how this will work
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2800 posts
946 upvotes
Windsor
Used NVS series videocards; I'm looking for the same thing you are, and those were good options (NVS 420 and NVS 450s are pretty cheap used).

I have a 4770k in my Z87 motherboard, and I am driving 3 displays with passive adapters: Mini-DP->DP, DP->DP and HDMI->DP. I'm only swapping away from this because AutoCAD keeps switching between HW and SW mode and screwing up my Intel driver.

Cheaper than adding a 3 monitor card is adding basically any 2-monitor card and using the 3rd off the on-board; doesn't cause any issues.
Feb 16, 2003
101 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
Zero1 wrote: I have been trying to find an answer and so far I have come up short. Looking for a low profile GPU that can output 3 displays for productivity use so its horse power doesn't really matter. No rendering or acceleration will be done. No gaming.

I still see 3 ports but only 2 displays on some graphics cards I find like r7 240 etc... Are we still being limited to low power GPU's only being able to run 2? Trying to find a slim low profile gpu (ideally). Am I SOL? Max budget is like $100 (maybe little more if its the only one I can find).

Thanks RFD
Low enough?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6814102960

Unfortunately, it's OOS, but I got it through newegg.ca a while back.