Request-A-Deal

Low Profile USB Key

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2018 12:51 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19370 posts
2576 upvotes
Out west

Low Profile USB Key

Looking for a good low profile USB key for music for a vehicle. The setup of the USB even with an extension cable just doesnt work well. Maximum size the manual says is 32GB.

Not sure if USB 2.0 or 3.0 matters with a car USB. Just looking for a good deal on one
20 replies
Newbie
Mar 21, 2016
77 posts
75 upvotes
2/3 doesn't matter, both should be able to provide more than enough transfer speed for music over USB.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1715 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
Not a hot deal...but try Sandisk ultra fit.
Should be small enough for you.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19370 posts
2576 upvotes
Out west
ElementalWarrior wrote: 2/3 doesn't matter, both should be able to provide more than enough transfer speed for music over USB.
Are you talking transfer speed in the vehicle?. Our old car had the Sync system in it, and it always took awhile to load the song when you switched or it went to the next. It was a 64Gb stick however so might not of been officialy supported
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19370 posts
2576 upvotes
Out west
Might work, looks like it might be taller than just usual low profile ones because of the flip design, and another thing to break off
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19370 posts
2576 upvotes
Out west
jasonchewy wrote: Not a hot deal...but try Sandisk ultra fit.
Should be small enough for you.
Ive been finding some in stores, but the prices are high. Looking for a deal, like RFD was meant for :-)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2360 posts
957 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Ive been finding some in stores, but the prices are high. Looking for a deal, like RFD was meant for :-)
From my experience, you pay more for a better quality USB key. SanDisk has not let me down so far and I think a lot of others can say the same thing. But if you want cheaper then Kingston would be a good buy. I stopped buying Kingston but only because their USB keys and SD cards are so slow.

If you didn't like the Kingston suggestion above then you probably wouldn't like this one -> Kingston USB Key from Canada Computers

No matter what you find it is going to stick out a bit.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19370 posts
2576 upvotes
Out west
ds2chan wrote: From my experience, you pay more for a better quality USB key. SanDisk has not let me down so far and I think a lot of others can say the same thing. But if you want cheaper then Kingston would be a good buy. I stopped buying Kingston but only because their USB keys and SD cards are so slow.

If you didn't like the Kingston suggestion above then you probably wouldn't like this one -> Kingston USB Key from Canada Computers

No matter what you find it is going to stick out a bit.
I know anything I use will be out a bit. But even now with the extension cable, it sticks out far. At least with low profile the chance of it getting broken off is less. I have a 64GB right now but not pleased with the way the extension cable works with it

Im fine paying for quality, I think my current one is a Kingston, so maybe thats why the reading from song to song was so slow. Maybe a Sandisk would solve that
Jr. Member
Sep 21, 2015
127 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sandisk Cruzer Fit or Sandisk Ultrafit. 32GBs can be found for under $20.
Another is Samsung Fit, and Lexar Jumpdrive S45 (might be discontinued)
Also Silicon Power has few low profile models (see amazon)

USB2 is sufficient for car use, however USB3 is obviously faster when transferring from PC.
Member
Mar 29, 2015
229 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
This is the one I got a few years ago. Still going strong and I even partitioned it for a boot drive. The price has gone up considerably on the 64gb one I got, but the 32 still seems expensive. I suggest looking around to see if you can find it elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LFV ... UTF8&psc=1
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19370 posts
2576 upvotes
Out west
kubo777 wrote: Sandisk Cruzer Fit or Sandisk Ultrafit. 32GBs can be found for under $20.
Another is Samsung Fit, and Lexar Jumpdrive S45 (might be discontinued)
Also Silicon Power has few low profile models (see amazon)

USB2 is sufficient for car use, however USB3 is obviously faster when transferring from PC.
Thanks. Id really like to buy a 64GB one, but not sure how well the car would handle it. I know it read my old 64GB, but didnt really read stuff on it correctly. Maybe its the amount of songs it can handle, not the size of the stick
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 5, 2010
541 posts
687 upvotes
Ottawa
These work great for me, and I got them in Staples clearance in spring of 2017 for $4.99. At $29.99 I would not jump, but YMMV.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x16-gb-usb-fla ... SwCU1YxYCx
PNY has several very small USB flash drives - also search for Elite-X, and M3 Attache

Alternatively, use microSD cards and an adapter.

Returning now to our regularly scheduled program "Hot Deals"
E as in ewe, eye, eight
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1715 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
Another odd suggestion would be to look for a microsd deal, and use it with a usb card reader.
I've had at times saw cheaper microsd cards than usb stick.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
19370 posts
2576 upvotes
Out west
jasonchewy wrote: Another odd suggestion would be to look for a microsd deal, and use it with a usb card reader.
I've had at times saw cheaper microsd cards than usb stick.
But how far would that stick out? Less or the same as a low profile USB
Sr. Member
Nov 17, 2013
948 posts
159 upvotes
WINNIPEG
I have these also
they are VERY SLOW when transferring files onto them. I doubt they are even USB 2.0. Like ridiculously slow transfer speeds!
I got them for cheap at staples prob around the same time a year ago.
I would def not pay $29.99 for them. Still have the red one in the package. Seriously putting lots of music files on them, leave it to transfer overnight, otherwise they've been pretty stable.

look for one of these lexars when they go on sale. Can't get any smaller than this. Will not stick out from your car stereo. So small it's hard to pull out eve.
baldrick_ca wrote: These work great for me, and I got them in Staples clearance in spring of 2017 for $4.99. At $29.99 I would not jump, but YMMV.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x16-gb-usb-fla ... SwCU1YxYCx
PNY has several very small USB flash drives - also search for Elite-X, and M3 Attache

Alternatively, use microSD cards and an adapter.

Returning now to our regularly scheduled program "Hot Deals"
Newbie
Jan 17, 2017
94 posts
50 upvotes
Montreal
Ordered THIS
on Jan. 17 2018 and surprisingly got it today... 1231 orders directly from wasenda store
https://imgur.com/a/wZBvF

C$ 9.50 for 32GB free shipping...
Last edited by snczcmlo on Jan 31st, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top