Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 16, 2015
95 posts
45 upvotes
Ajax, ON

Low water pressure?

Hi, wondering if anyone can offer me any advice.
Moved into a house last year, have a problem with the water pressure in the master bathroom. The sink and shower are fine. However, the clawfoot tub has very low water pressure. It doesn't matter if the hot or cold are running together, its still very low. I can hear the water, like its trying to come out, but all that comes out is a light trickle. It was fine when we moved in, this just started recently. The toilet tank also takes too long to fill up after a flush as well. No water pressure issues anywhere else in the house.
What do you think this could be? It's a 7 year old house.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2800 posts
946 upvotes
Windsor
For the toilet, it could be debris in the fill valve; you can probably take it apart and clean it out, or just replace the whole dealio (they aren't ridiculously expensive). I am not sure about those low-flow toilets; I've not had to deal with that problem with one of those yet.

For the tub, it's got to be something wrong with the faucets. Those also can be taken apart and cleaned (at least, I've never seen one that can't be taken apart). Probably some debris somewhere in there.

Maybe they did maintenance on the water pipes in your area and, when some debris got to your house, someone took a shower and flushed the toilet, clogging them both up. A bit of a stretch, but it can happen.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
170 upvotes
Something in the system is clogged. Does the faucet have an aerator? If yes then that would be the first thing I'd check out. Simply unscrew it and clean it out.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2015
95 posts
45 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Thanks for your replies. I'll have the hubby take it apart and clean/unclog anything in there!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6895 posts
3155 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Si98 wrote: Something in the system is clogged. Does the faucet have an aerator? If yes then that would be the first thing I'd check out. Simply unscrew it and clean it out.
This could be it. Could be particles from hot water tank. White pvc particles I believe are common with some tanks. Do any hot water tank work?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3997 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
this thread is sooo funny/coincidental.

We just moved into a 7 year-old resale as well last November and have the EXACT same low pressure issues in our master ensuite. Ours however is that our toilet takes a while to re-fill after a flush (may require a new fill valve as suggested above, not a prob as those are cheap), and the hot water tap to the sink is PAINFULLY slow, while the cold tap is fine.

However, the hot water tap in the soaker tub and the stand up shower are fine.

I suspected the faucet for the sink may have a clog/debris in the line. However, I'm not too fussed about it right now as we'll be ripping it all out soon anyways. It's just annoying when you want warm water to wash your hands.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1011 posts
147 upvotes
take out the shower cartridge and soak it in vinegar. depending on the brand you may have a hard time removing, so look online for instructions if possible. also often the set screws may be rusted...

or hire a plumber.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2015
95 posts
45 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Repooc wrote: this thread is sooo funny/coincidental.

We just moved into a 7 year-old resale as well last November and have the EXACT same low pressure issues in our master ensuite. Ours however is that our toilet takes a while to re-fill after a flush (may require a new fill valve as suggested above, not a prob as those are cheap), and the hot water tap to the sink is PAINFULLY slow, while the cold tap is fine.

However, the hot water tap in the soaker tub and the stand up shower are fine.

I suspected the faucet for the sink may have a clog/debris in the line. However, I'm not too fussed about it right now as we'll be ripping it all out soon anyways. It's just annoying when you want warm water to wash your hands.
Wow what a coincidence lol.
Yes everyone is saying there's prob something clogging it. We're gonna take apart the tub faucet and see if anything's stuck. And we'll clean it up as well and see if that helps.
Good luck with your washroom!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1952 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
For the low water pressure in your faucet I suggest removing the braided water hose and check your pressure from there.

I was helping my parents once with a toilet installation and we couldn't figure out why the pressure was so low. It took us some time till we figured out that the braided hose we were using had a pressure sensor mechanism for leaks, we ended up replaced with a simple straight through one and away it went.

For the toilets if it's fairly new there could be a stopper that wasn't removed on the tank where the braided hose gets connected, also encountered this one.

Cheers!!!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3997 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
badass wrote: For the low water pressure in your faucet I suggest removing the braided water hose and check your pressure from there.

I was helping my parents once with a toilet installation and we couldn't figure out why the pressure was so low. It took us some time till we figured out that the braided hose we were using had a pressure sensor mechanism for leaks, we ended up replaced with a simple straight through one and away it went.

For the toilets if it's fairly new there could be a stopper that wasn't removed on the tank where the braided hose gets connected, also encountered this one.

Cheers!!!
Ah, that would be a very easy fix. Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look to see.