Lower back support for chair

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2020 9:12 pm
Mar 27, 2016
459 posts
411 upvotes
Vancouver

Lower back support for chair

Any recommendations for lower back support/cushions?

Working from home and sitting in same chair for 8 hours. There's a gap between the chair and my lower back.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1678 posts
2053 upvotes
GTA
My physiotherapist recommended I roll up a towel and place it in the lumbar area. It might give you a better sense of the kind of lumbar support product that would work best with your body.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
+1 to the answer above. Or you could get yourself a kneeling chair. Back support can make for bad posture.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Jan 16, 2009
217 posts
95 upvotes
They have some on Amazon - search for lumbar support. They're all pretty similar, I'd just go with one that has a lot of reviews and a high average rating.

I bought one to use while driving, many years ago. It was a basic foam cushion, I was satisfied with it.
Sep 7, 2010
349 posts
185 upvotes
T.Dot
Professional ergonomist here. You actually have a fairly complex question. It may not be the back support - it's one of the last things I look at in the chair. If there is a gap, the main issue might actually relate to the depth of your seat pan. Are you in the 5'0 to 5'4" range? Then you need a smaller seat, that way you can actually sit back all the way into your chair. The smaller seat means the armrests are also a better width for you and the backrest is a better height for you as well.

Lisameow wrote: Any recommendations for lower back support/cushions?

Working from home and sitting in same chair for 8 hours. There's a gap between the chair and my lower back.
Mar 27, 2016
459 posts
411 upvotes
Vancouver
Allan in T.Dot wrote: Professional ergonomist here. You actually have a fairly complex question. It may not be the back support - it's one of the last things I look at in the chair. If there is a gap, the main issue might actually relate to the depth of your seat pan. Are you in the 5'0 to 5'4" range? Then you need a smaller seat, that way you can actually sit back all the way into your chair. The smaller seat means the armrests are also a better width for you and the backrest is a better height for you as well.

Ah interesting, thanks. Yes I am 5'2. Yea may be the seat is too deep. If I don't have another chair, are there butt cushions or backrests that would help? The best solution would be a smaller chair though, would you know where might I be able to find a small chair?
Sep 7, 2010
349 posts
185 upvotes
T.Dot
There should be 2-3 fingers of space between the front of the seat and the back of your leg. Try using a footrest first, not necessarily to elevate your legs, but to allow your knees to be extended. That way you'll get your space behind the knees and allow you to sit further back in your chair.

Smaller chairs do exist but are harder to find as they are not typically found at Staples etc. Try the above first and then let me know how it goes.
Lisameow wrote: Ah interesting, thanks. Yes I am 5'2. Yea may be the seat is too deep. If I don't have another chair, are there butt cushions or backrests that would help? The best solution would be a smaller chair though, would you know where might I be able to find a small chair?
Mar 27, 2016
459 posts
411 upvotes
Vancouver
Allan in T.Dot wrote: There should be 2-3 fingers of space between the front of the seat and the back of your leg. Try using a footrest first, not necessarily to elevate your legs, but to allow your knees to be extended. That way you'll get your space behind the knees and allow you to sit further back in your chair.

Smaller chairs do exist but are harder to find as they are not typically found at Staples etc. Try the above first and then let me know how it goes.
Thanks! Will give this a try
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Proliner ii series is well reviewed. Walmart is them for cheapest. Still looking at $300 incl taxes but it has every option that’s adjustable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)