Fashion & Beauty

lower budget MTM suits or OTR

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2023 12:05 pm
Sep 8, 2018
130 posts
125 upvotes

lower budget MTM suits or OTR

Hey guys, I dont really need to wear suits for work but am thinking that I might want one or two, any places in Durham or York region where I can get 1 or even of the rack other than Moores, also looking for somewhere to get some nice shirts.
Any help would be appreciated
10 replies
Jul 7, 2020
376 posts
205 upvotes
For custom shirts, I've had good experiences with both Tailorstore.ca and Spier and Mackay. I haven't bought a custom suit or sport coat before, but based on my experience with shirts, I would give Spier and Mackay a try. I wouldn't recommend Indochino based on my experience buying custom trousers from them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
One have to ask why you need MTM in the first place. Try to go to places like HR Outlet at Heartland and try different brands of suits first and see what fits you.

There's a lot of sale going on still but you need to state your budget first.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Unless your measurements are very far from OTR, I'd pick a good quality OTR + alterations over cheap MTM most of the time.
Nov 9, 2020
214 posts
150 upvotes
A lot of brands now offer Short, Regular and Tall versions of the same size. Try that first before thinking about alterations or MTM.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
I have a good experience a couple months ago with Indochino, but I've never owned a tailored suit before so admittedly, I have nothing to compare it to.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
Stormfather wrote: I've never owned a tailored suit before so admittedly, I have nothing to compare it to.
Nobody teaches these things anymore... you're left with learning from Youtube and mens' styles website.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2221 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: Nobody teaches these things anymore... you're left with learning from Youtube and mens' styles website.
Sad but true.

You have to put in the time and effort to learn if you don't have someone to teach you (father, relative, school, club, etc.) - otherwise you have to pay for the education through having a good tailor. And there aren't many of those around anymore.

OP - definitely go OTR to start. Solid navy and charcoal gray. 2 button. Double split in the back (single middle split is fine, but 2 is preferred). Don't worry too much about the brand - focus on what fits. If that's Samuelsohn, ok ... Boss, sure ... if its Calvin Klein, even better. Moores is fine btw. My nephew bought his groomsmen OTR suits from Moores several years ago ... Silicon Valley tech types that wear suits maybe 2x a year max and they've held up exceptionally well. One mentioned how he still has the suit and wears it from time to time to formal meetings and events.

Dress shirts, try to find something non-iron for ease of upkeep. Try and buy the suit and shirt together so you can measure out the sleeve lengths and get them tailored appropriately. Button cuffs are fine. Cufflinks are one extra thing to buy and potentially lose. Think of cufflinks as jewelry.

Buy a decent pair or black lace-up oxford shoes. Allen Edmonds are decent. If they are too pricey for you check out online stores. Ideally it will have a leather sole which you can then take to a local cobbler and have them put on Vibram rubber inserts for $50. A pair of good formal oxford shoes will last 10+ years, never go out of style, and can be re-soled for $50 every few years.

Ties, pick up 2 to start - you can get nice ones from Harry Rosen for $100-$150 or so. This is were I'd spend an extra bit of money - doesn't have to be the most expensive but people will notice a $20 cheap tie just by how it looks and sits. Take the time to learn how to tie a couple of different knots (windsor and 4-in-hand are good to start) by watching Youtube videos and practicing.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6974 posts
4954 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Avoid SaraWan on AliExpress.

Reviews must be fake.

Wasted money Heavy Dollar SignFire
Sep 8, 2018
130 posts
125 upvotes
TodayHello wrote: Sad but true.

You have to put in the time and effort to learn if you don't have someone to teach you (father, relative, school, club, etc.) - otherwise you have to pay for the education through having a good tailor. And there aren't many of those around anymore.

OP - definitely go OTR to start. Solid navy and charcoal gray. 2 button. Double split in the back (single middle split is fine, but 2 is preferred). Don't worry too much about the brand - focus on what fits. If that's Samuelsohn, ok ... Boss, sure ... if its Calvin Klein, even better. Moores is fine btw. My nephew bought his groomsmen OTR suits from Moores several years ago ... Silicon Valley tech types that wear suits maybe 2x a year max and they've held up exceptionally well. One mentioned how he still has the suit and wears it from time to time to formal meetings and events.

Dress shirts, try to find something non-iron for ease of upkeep. Try and buy the suit and shirt together so you can measure out the sleeve lengths and get them tailored appropriately. Button cuffs are fine. Cufflinks are one extra thing to buy and potentially lose. Think of cufflinks as jewelry.

Buy a decent pair or black lace-up oxford shoes. Allen Edmonds are decent. If they are too pricey for you check out online stores. Ideally it will have a leather sole which you can then take to a local cobbler and have them put on Vibram rubber inserts for $50. A pair of good formal oxford shoes will last 10+ years, never go out of style, and can be re-soled for $50 every few years.

Ties, pick up 2 to start - you can get nice ones from Harry Rosen for $100-$150 or so. This is were I'd spend an extra bit of money - doesn't have to be the most expensive but people will notice a $20 cheap tie just by how it looks and sits. Take the time to learn how to tie a couple of different knots (windsor and 4-in-hand are good to start) by watching Youtube videos and practicing.
This is excellent advice/news, thank you.
I eventually went with OTR then had alterations made, I cycle and exercise so have large thighs and big shoulders, finding something that hung correctly was a challenge and trousers were unwearable.
Shirts have been a challenge, Im going MTM at Spier and Mackay, I didn't realize that ties could make that much of a difference, Im looking into this more deeply.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
barrybeefburger wrote: This is excellent advice/news, thank you.
I eventually went with OTR then had alterations made, I cycle and exercise so have large thighs and big shoulders, finding something that hung correctly was a challenge and trousers were unwearable.
Shirts have been a challenge, Im going MTM at Spier and Mackay, I didn't realize that ties could make that much of a difference, Im looking into this more deeply.
I think neckties are very important to finish off the look. I think you should have a small collection of neckties, stripes, patterns, solid, paisley, etc. Nice neckties can sometimes cost more than a shirt. There are also more ways than one to tie a necktie. It should be based on the thickness of the material tie to present the best look.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)