[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14250 posts
4156 upvotes
Here 'n There
loriblum wrote:
May 29th, 2014 10:59 am
Unless I have a buyer, right? Because if someone were to threaten me with physical abuse, I would likely avoid showing their home. Of course, I would fully inform my buyers and let them know that the decision was up to them, but I would not go out of my way to show them this particular home.
I don't think he is going to be telling agents that he will threaten them with physical abuse if they show his home.
loriblum wrote:
Sir, I never suggested it was to the exclusion of a private showing. Perhaps you read what I wrote wrong? Either way, I would never discourage anyone from attending an open house or requesting a secondary private showing of the same home and please refrain from misquoting me based on your perception of what was written.
Will we are not in disagreement then. Just a misunderstanding of what I said, which was 'Anyone finding a home through an MLS search that they are interested in is going to let their agent know they want a showing and that's going to be a private showing.' They may or may not add a viewing at an open house to the mix but they certainly will not omit the private showing. And as a real estate agent of course I would expect that you ensure there is the option of a private showing if they are interested in the property.
loriblum wrote:
As for the rest of the previously quoted dialogue, you must have more time on your hands than I do. I wasn't trying to engage you in any back and forth, but if I have some free time later, I will gladly come back and review your notes. Enjoy your day! :)
I am a touch typist so it takes me only mere minutes to respond to posts in between other things I am doing. I certainly don't spend all day reading RFD.

But sure, talk to you later and you have a nice day too! :)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4881 posts
464 upvotes
Victoria
brunes wrote:
May 28th, 2014 6:06 pm
I am at a loss on this one. How does an open house help an agent? And how is an open house "useless"? When we bought this house, we went to many open houses, including this one. I would never buy an open house without going inside, and it is a lot simpler to go to a whole bunch of open houses in one afternoon when you're house shopping than to set up dozens of appointments. Sure I would not say an Open House is essential but they're far from useless.
I agree, I think the trend towards agents saying "open houses are useless and we have surveys to prove it" is to get out of doing open houses. I can't believe the op has fallen for this.
Not a political sig
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14250 posts
4156 upvotes
Here 'n There
You need to look at the evidence, even from real estate agents who have commented on this very thread.

I can't believe you fall for believing they benefit the seller.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5314 posts
2393 upvotes
Thornhill
Loriblum save yourself the trouble of engaging eonibm. His statement was pretty clear that a buyer after seeing an mls listing would contact a rep for a private showing, that is, search mls - find property- contact rep, and that is in line with his thinking that open houses are useless. S/he’s dodging and weaving now by trying to misrepresent your statement in an attempt to backtrack on hers/his which seems typical of eonibm’s claims as was previously noted by Donnie740.

The easiest things to forget are the untruths one tells and when users have to fabricate stories to bolster their argument only to subsequently contradict themselves it calls into question their authenticity, and credibility. Donnie740’s suspicion about eonibm being a banned user led me to look for similarities and while I found none, it’s clear to me that s/he is here only to argue and stir the pot:
Dec 2013 - I am trying to find a very basic mobile phone for emergencies for my hard-of-hearing (but she has hearing aids) 80-yo Mother who doesn't use technology...

yes, but my Mom just wants a dumb phone that can just make a call in an emergency. She wouldn't even text. So, no need for a smartphone.
phone-senior-big-keys-etc-1428287/
That he has a mother seems certain and that’s about it. I know of no one who within 5 months accumulates 4 years in age or goes from not using technology to this
My 84yo Mother loves surfing the mls.ca, guava.ca and zoocasa.ca maps and databases.
im-real-estate-agent-ask-me-anything-87 ... st18888484
Perhaps the best advice ever given on RFD
LMAO! Some people might be stupid enough to act on so-called 'hot' tips from strangers on the internet but not me. I am an long-term investor not a gambler.
fire-eye-feye-buy-1386286/4/#post18809620
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4881 posts
464 upvotes
Victoria
eonibm wrote:
May 29th, 2014 12:54 pm
You need to look at the evidence, even from real estate agents who have commented on this very thread.

I can't believe you fall for believing they benefit the seller.
In what way are they a detriment?
Not a political sig
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14250 posts
4156 upvotes
Here 'n There
dealguy2 wrote:
May 29th, 2014 1:51 pm
In what way are they a detriment?
Where have I said they are a detriment? You are ascribing something to me that I simply have not said. To say they are a detriment would be to say having an open house actually REDUCES the chances of your property being marketed successfully vs having an open house. I have never said that and it is not true. There is a distinction between what I have said and how you are now twisting my words.

A study posted in this thread shows that that less than 2% of buyers purchase a home as a result of an open house. Some sellers who do flat-rate listings are a bit reluctant to hold open houses on their own. So I am merely point out that they mainly benefit the listing agent not the seller. The Toronto Star article I posted, Captain_RFD5 and other agents I have talked to corroborate. So, if you are doing a flat-rate MLS listing don't worry much if you aren't going to have an open house. It's not that important. If someone really wants to buy your home, believe me they'll arrange for a private showing. If they won't even do that then they are not terribly interested.

But, this is really only relevant in the case of a flat-rate listing where the seller might be doing the open house on their own. If you are paying a listing agent 2-1/2% of course have them do open houses. Make them do some work even if it mainly benefits them. It's certainly is no sweat off your back. You are not paying them more because the are holding an open house.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14250 posts
4156 upvotes
Here 'n There
licenced wrote:
May 29th, 2014 1:15 pm
Loriblum save yourself the trouble of engaging eonibm. His statement was pretty clear that a buyer after seeing an mls listing would contact a rep for a private showing, that is, search mls - find property- contact rep, and that is in line with his thinking that open houses are useless. S/he’s dodging and weaving now by trying to misrepresent your statement in an attempt to backtrack on hers/his which seems typical of eonibm’s claims as was previously noted by Donnie740.
We can agree to differ on that one.
licenced wrote:
The easiest things to forget are the untruths one tells and when users have to fabricate stories to bolster their argument only to subsequently contradict themselves it calls into question their authenticity, and credibility. Donnie740’s suspicion about eonibm being a banned user led me to look for similarities and while I found none, it’s clear to me that s/he is here only to argue and stir the pot:

That he has a mother seems certain and that’s about it. I know of no one who within 5 months accumulates 4 years in age or goes from not using technology to this
I do not feel that I need to provide personal details of my mother's exact age every time I make a post, now do I? The fact that you track the age of people's mothers on here says it all! I find it laughable that the personal details of my Mother's age is even relevant to you!
licenced wrote:
Perhaps the best advice ever given on RFD
A hot tip is something that one cannot validate or investigate on their own but believed because someone else simply tells them. This detailed thread I put together on how to save money on real estate transactions fees which has been vetted by real estate agents who I know and are not anonymous like you and which has also been corroborated by a real estate agent even here who publicly identifies himself, Captain_Ron5 means a lot more more than any comment an anonymous poster like you makes. Any of the steps I have listed in extreme detail can be verified as true and complete. I have yet to hear you or Donnie740 add anything to it and that is precisely because you can't.

A hot tip = doing a a flat-rate real estate listing. Right...

You are quite a busy body taking the time to search out posts that I have made in the past in an extremely vain and misguided attempt to discredit me. You know the veracity, time, energy with which you and Donny740, both apparently real estate agents, devote trying to discredit the facts in this thread really says it all. I know I have struck a nerve and I know it. One would think you would be spending your time during the day working on your real estate transactions instead. Most successful real estate agents I know are pretty busy during the day and have no time for this.
Aug 17, 2006
403 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Is it me or are users like licenced (there are probably more, but I don't want to read beyond two pages of this thread) lacking basic reading comprehension skills? It seems like they read a statement, completely misinterpret the statement, and argue against said misinterpretation.

Are they real estate agents? If yes, it is usually not very helpful for agents to add to arguments in this thread. Your profession creates an inherent bias in your comments and is not very helpful to the rest of us.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14250 posts
4156 upvotes
Here 'n There
tweep0 wrote:
May 29th, 2014 2:12 pm
Is it me or are users like loriblum, licenced (there are probably more, but I don't want to read beyond two pages of this thread) lacking basic reading comprehension skills? It seems like they read a statement, completely misinterpret the statement, and argue against said misinterpretation.

Are they real estate agents? If yes, it is usually not very helpful for agents to add to arguments in this thread. Your profession creates an inherent bias in your comments and is not very helpful to the rest of us.
+1

When something hits you in the pocketbook and you have no means of countering what some people do is completely misinterpret or twist a statement as that then gives them an entry point to criticize in an attempt to discredit the person. Then the person who made the original comment has to call them on this and it become an endless loop. I am indeed getting tired of it.

Read my OP and make your own decision. I think people are smart enough to figure it out that they can save a lot of money if they want to.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2606 posts
201 upvotes
Markham
eonibm wrote:
May 27th, 2014 1:28 pm
I don't have a previous moniker and my name is not Chris.

It's obvious your focus is on anything but the topic!
I think he has a crush on Chris Pritzel(?). He mentioned this name on the "I'm a real estate agent" thread.
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2008
1924 posts
497 upvotes
licenced wrote:

That he has a mother seems certain and that’s about it. I know of no one who within 5 months accumulates 4 years in age...
Maybe she ages in dog years?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
14250 posts
4156 upvotes
Here 'n There
Donnie740 wrote:
May 29th, 2014 4:55 pm
Maybe she ages in dog years?
You are indeed despicable to make a joke about my Mother like that. Shame on you.
Nov 25, 2011
422 posts
60 upvotes
201-8 Sampson Mews, …
As a non-realtor and outsider to the actual discussion thus far, I can tell you that (imo) the realtors in this thread are completely losing this argument and debate. The insults and stupid comments you are resorting to only further cement this belief in my view.