Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

25-kg CIL Coated Grass Seed - Lowes $89.99 (was $121.49)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2020 8:02 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 30, 2019
9 posts
22 upvotes

[Lowe's] 25-kg CIL Coated Grass Seed - Lowes $89.99 (was $121.49)

Eligible for $10 off with sign-up mail.

Free delivery sealed the deal for me.

Goes for $121.49 at Rona
Last edited by TomRFD on May 20th, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
28 replies
Sr. Member
May 17, 2007
823 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
Are they any good?
Sr. Member
Dec 16, 2006
627 posts
172 upvotes
Central Ontario
Components

32.5% Coating (limestone powder, sucrose)
32.5% Coated grass seeds (30% Kentucky Bluegrass, 40% Creeping Red Fescue, 30% Perennial Ryegrass)
30.0% Annual Ryegrass (uncoated)
5.0% Calcium sulphate
Member
Jan 6, 2004
414 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Anything with a high % of Kentucky Bluegrass is a good sign for our "climate". I never tried this brand, but 25 KG bag delivered for $89.99 is a heck of a deal. Thanks OP.

Those with smaller lawns, you can always split the package and overseed in spring/fall and use for bare spots.

"To win the War on Weeds, you must overseed" quoted by me lol

I don't recall the last time I posted, but this is a super deal in my opinion (assuming content % are accurate)
Member
Jun 2, 2007
441 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
From my understanding annual ryegrass isn’t good. It dies come winter.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 15, 2006
1166 posts
523 upvotes
Montreal
quick90 wrote: From my understanding annual ryegrass isn’t good. It dies come winter.
X2.

Plus, one third of the weight is the actual coating.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 5, 2007
5714 posts
1459 upvotes
416
Xcessiv wrote: X2.

Plus, one third of the weight is the actual coating.
Yep.

Looks like 62.5% of this bag is actual seed.

But what's the exact percentage for each seed? But for kbg...it's 30% of the 32.5% of the coated seed which is...

My head hurts lol.
Sr. Member
Feb 18, 2014
682 posts
1408 upvotes
Aggy wrote: Yep.

Looks like 62.5% of this bag is actual seed.

But what's the exact percentage for each seed? But for kbg...it's 30% of the 32.5% of the coated seed which is...
25kg x 30% = 7.5kg is Rye
25kg x 32.5% = 8.125kg is the coating
25kg x 32.5% = 8.125 kg is KBG / Creeping Red Fescue / Perennial Ryegrass

Of the 8.125kg coated seed:
8.125kg x 30% = 2.43kg is KBG
8.125kg x 40% = 3.25kg is Creeping Red Fescue
8.125kg x 30% = 2.43kg is Perennial Ryegrass

25kg x 5% = 1.25kg Calcium Sulfate (soil conditioner)

My personal take... if you are home the next month due to COVID social distancing anyway, go with a better value non-coated seed mix and water 2-3 times a day.
Last edited by shorfd on May 20th, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Nov 15, 2015
131 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I need a ton of seed so definitely watching this thread for opinions on this product or others such as the one posted by the other guy from TSC
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 19, 2003
20190 posts
8258 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
drb789 wrote: Components

32.5% Coating (limestone powder, sucrose)
32.5% Coated grass seeds (30% Kentucky Bluegrass, 40% Creeping Red Fescue, 30% Perennial Ryegrass)
30.0% Annual Ryegrass (uncoated)
5.0% Calcium sulphate
Only 32.5% of the content is actual useful grass then.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
17327 posts
4720 upvotes
Xcessiv wrote: X2.

Plus, one third of the weight is the actual coating.
so coating is not good?
Poulet wrote: Is this a good alternative? Uncoated

https://www.tscstores.com/GRASS-SEED-TS ... 40236.aspx
yes..that is good stuff....i bought one bag last Fall and finished this Spring.
50% Kentucky Bluegrass, 50% Turf-Type Perennial Ryegrass

wish to get another bag but their stores r outside Toronto..feel lazy to drive that far..
shorfd wrote: 25kg x 30% = 7.5kg is Rye
25kg x 32.5% = 8.125kg is the coating
25kg x 32.5% = 8.125 kg is KBG / Creeping Red Fescue / Perennial Ryegrass

Of the 8.125kg coated seed:
8.125kg x 30% = 2.43kg is KBG
8.125kg x 40% = 3.25kg is Creeping Red Fescue
8.125kg x 30% = 2.43kg is Perennial Ryegrass

25kg x 5% = 1.25kg Calcium Sulfate (soil conditioner)

My personal take... if you are home the next month due to COVID social distancing anyway, go with a better value non-coated seed mix and water 2-3 times a day.
what does coated seed mean? why they r not good?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21533 upvotes
How long can ungerminated grass seeds last?

I bought a bag of RTF grass seeds and don't know if two years is too old.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1585 posts
1390 upvotes
Etobicoke


It says coated is better, the coating help absorb more water and starts growing faster
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1585 posts
1390 upvotes
Etobicoke
alanbrenton wrote: How long can ungerminated grass seeds last?

I bought a bag of RTF grass seeds and don't know if two years is too old.
2 to 3 years
Though fresher is always better when it comes to planting seeds, properly stored grass seed can be viable for 2 to 3 years. Some varieties, like ryegrass, will last even longer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
56484 posts
21533 upvotes
xxxray wrote: 2 to 3 years
Though fresher is always better when it comes to planting seeds, properly stored grass seed can be viable for 2 to 3 years. Some varieties, like ryegrass, will last even longer.
Good to know. Will reseed in the fall, for the first time.

RTF grass is so good against weeds and just needs little watering but I think I was too lazy and confident haha.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3114 posts
3133 upvotes
Coated seed is a game changer. With uncoated you have to be very religious about not allowing the lawn to dry out for 3 weeks until all the seed germinates. If you have a hot day and you forget to water once then a good portion of the seed will die. Yes the coating costs more but I think it easily at least doubles the germination rate
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 15, 2015
1071 posts
1013 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Cil grass is good and not cheap, but coat basically is a waste.

If one don’t mind the price, go for it and personally I would throw it down at 6-7lb/ thousand sq ft.

Another alternative is to check your local sod farm, in GTA I recommend fairgreen.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2001
1539 posts
312 upvotes
GTA
I cannot say enough about over-seeding, have not had weed issues for many years.
Thanks OP - in for one bag from Lowes with free delivery and additional $10 off
Upvoted

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)