• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2020 1:39 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 28, 2016
250 posts
441 upvotes

[Lowe's] 36” GE fridge (clearance) $2499

High end appliance for them who have the money. A great deal and GE appliances are fairly reliable. Most stores say they have one in stock. Also counter depth, which most people seem to like these days. Unfortunately only comes in black.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 13th, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
27 replies
Nov 20, 2017
689 posts
511 upvotes
bought some staples at Lowes... 4 days ago and they won't answer the local store phone. So much for curb side pick up
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5134 posts
4007 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
$2500 for a GE? No thank you.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
Counter-Depth French-Door Refrigerator with Keurig® K-Cup® Brewing System

Key is counter depth this is why this isn't cheap, and also it's the GE Cafe line.

This is a good deal for sure, it seems it's not being manufactured anymore, so take that for what it's worth.. Could be the color..
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1025 posts
335 upvotes
Oakville
Lots of counter depth refrigerators available for less.

Keurig machine is a total gimmick waiting to fail.

Too many gadgets tend to cause reliability issues.

Keep it simple.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
Lobloco wrote: Lots of counter depth refrigerators available for less.

Keurig machine is a total gimmick waiting to fail.

Too many gadgets tend to cause reliability issues.

Keep it simple.
Lol, lots of 36in GE Cafe French doors for less eh..

Hrm. Can you show us?
Yea thought so.

Op post is a decent deal.

Yes that Keurig will fail. The countertop versions fail.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2279 posts
1941 upvotes
Mississauga
The built in Keurig is a huge turn off for me. I’d rather have the extra fridge space and/or save a couple hundred bucks.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2016
250 posts
441 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote: The built in Keurig is a huge turn off for me. I’d rather have the extra fridge space and/or save a couple hundred bucks.
Saves the clutter of having one on your countertop. Keeps the kitchen a cleaner look.
Sep 7, 2018
891 posts
911 upvotes
Small capacity for a $5000 + 36" Fridge

We bought a 36" LG french door and it is 28 cu-ft
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3493 posts
1534 upvotes
Ottawa
superscoots wrote: Small capacity for a $5000 + 36" Fridge

We bought a 36" LG french door and it is 28 cu-ft
Counter. Depth. It's a design aesthetic.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1025 posts
335 upvotes
Oakville
shylok wrote: Lol, lots of 36in GE Cafe French doors for less eh..

Hrm. Can you show us?
Yea thought so.

Op post is a decent deal.

Yes that Keurig will fail. The countertop versions fail.
Just go to any big box store and see for yourself. Select option “counter depth” and you will find plenty of models that has the same space for less than $2,500 regular price. Samsung, LG, Whirlpool, Frigidaire all have comparable models for less.

I am not permitted to post links since it’s not my post.

It’s easy to replace a countertop Keurig. Good luck getting it repaired at a reasonable price should it fail. Not practical, if anything it’s ridiculous to have it in your fridge, counter top version needs space since it’s not as deep as a traditional fridge.

GE is not the best brand. It’s not a strong “Deal.”

Get over it. This is RFD. It’s a jungle in here.
Oct 15, 2005
202 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty good deal. I have the 27 Cu. Ft Stainless version of this before they added the K-Cup Brewer it was just a Hot Water Dispenser.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20994 posts
3608 upvotes
YUL
Melkor wrote: $2500 for a GE? No thank you.
I’ve owned expensive Samsung’s and Kitchen-Aid fridges before and the one fridge I never had issues with was a sub-$1k GE fridge. The Samsung was by far the worst.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5134 posts
4007 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
najibs wrote: I’ve owned expensive Samsung’s and Kitchen-Aid fridges before and the one fridge I never had issues with was a sub-$1k GE fridge. The Samsung was by far the worst.
I had a middle of the road GE fridge. The construction of the shelves wasnt very good. The produce drawers both cracked when I took them out to clean them. It felt really cheap and didn't seem to keep things fresh long. Milk expired before the BB date etc.. I really wasn't happy with it and I only had it about two years before I completely re did my kitchen and bought a french door LG with ice dispenser. Havent looked back. Absolutely love it.

I've heard horror stories from friends and family about Samsungs.

Edif: I better let the dog in Face With Tears Of Joy

Edit 2: I have a GE stove that I couldn't afford to replace when I did my kitchen and, for what it's worth, I'm satisfied with it.
Images
  • 20200414_093936.jpg
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20994 posts
3608 upvotes
YUL
Melkor wrote: I had a middle of the road GE fridge. The construction of the shelves wasnt very good. The produce drawers both cracked when I took them out to clean them. It felt really cheap and didn't seem to keep things fresh long. Milk expired before the BB date etc.. I really wasn't happy with it and I only had it about two years before I completely re did my kitchen and bought a french door LG with ice dispenser. Havent looked back. Absolutely love it.

I've heard horror stories from friends and family about Samsungs.

Edif: I better let the dog in Face With Tears Of Joy

Edit 2: I have a GE stove that I couldn't afford to replace when I did my kitchen and, for what it's worth, I'm satisfied with it.
LG seems to be making good appliances. They would be my go-to choice for any appliance right now , after a good experience with a new LG washer and dryer I bought recently to replace a broken Samsung set.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
5134 posts
4007 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
najibs wrote: LG seems to be making good appliances. They would be my go-to choice for any appliance right now , after a good experience with a new LG washer and dryer I bought recently to replace a broken Samsung set.
Haha my Samsung pair crapped out well before their time as well. I wasn't too surprised about the washer, but the dryer going so soon after was surprising. I really liked the way the Samsung's looked, but we're now mismatched with a Whirlpool top loader and Electrolux dryer. Happy with both.
Mar 3, 2005
856 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be all over this if it wasn't black. It's not even a regular stainless steel black but a black slate, almost matte looking. Spending 2.5 on non matching appliance just doesn't make sense.

Video of the unit
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3235 posts
2198 upvotes
Toronto
These idiotic fridges are like 'smart' tv's. Let's bundle a whole pile of crap into a single device that will likely fail in one way or another in the next 5 years forcing the customer to replace it.

I have no issue with nice filtered cold water and ice from my fridge. I can live with those 'extras' but the notion of putting a coffee machine into the door of the fridge is moronic. Charging $6K for a non-built-in fridge is asinine.

And to top it off, Lowes 'discounting' it by 50% and everyone still makes a buck? This is becoming like buying a mattress from The Bay.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3371 posts
1437 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry OP, I take exception with your description that GE is fairly reliable.

We bought a GE Advantium speed oven. It was their Monogram line, which is supposedly their high end (competing with Wolf/Miele), so we spent ~4k on it. Stupid, I know.

Not only did it only have a 1yr warranty (most high-end manufacturers would put on min 2yrs), but the thing started dying after 6mos. They came by 2-3 times to replace a part or two, but you could tell that they were trying to drag it out past the warranty expiry. I finally had to post a video of it on YouTube and threaten them public humiliation before they finally agreed to replace it. That replacement unit worked for about 5yrs before it gave up the ghost, but in the interim had its cheap plastic tray holders and turntable wheels fall off.

I should add, all of this was *before* GE sold its appliance division to Haier (a Chinese conglomerate) in 2016.

Never, never, never again.