Expired Hot Deals

Lowe's

$99.99 Honeywell T5+ Selectable-Flexible Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat includes Power adapter for C Wire

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 11:42 am
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
911 posts
1082 upvotes

[Lowe's] $99.99 Honeywell T5+ Selectable-Flexible Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat includes Power adapter for C Wire

Says regular 179 at the store. Optional power adapter if for setup with no C Wire. If you this is the + model and don't know if there is anything else different besides power adapter. Other stores have it for over 160, so I guess price match is possible
20 replies
Apr 19, 2007
309 posts
92 upvotes
York
Thanks OP!
Homedepot version is RCHT8612WF2015/W which is slightly different than Lowe's RCHT8612WF2015/U

So YMMV with price match there (which sucks as I have a credit at HomeDepot).

Thanked!
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
911 posts
1082 upvotes
The HD bear me was a little oblivious and matched it. I think it was 92 + tax.
Apr 19, 2007
309 posts
92 upvotes
York
I'm going to try to price match Best Buy (they have a promotion bundle - get a free 3rd Gen Echo Dot with purchase of T5+ smart Thermostat)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2805 upvotes
If someone buys this, let us know what sort of power adapter is included with the T5+. I can't find any description or picture anywhere. Is it a plug-in power supply? A 24vac transformer? A 4-to-5 wiring adapter?

Update: looks like it's a 4-to-5 wiring adapter, like Nest includes with many of their models. If you don't already have 4 wires at the thermostat, it won't help you.

If you have less than 4 wires, the options to install the T5 are:
- Repurpose an existing wire as a C wire if you can, like the G fan control wire
- Pull a new thermostat wire through the walls from the furnace to where your thermostat is now
- Move the thermostat location to someplace easier to access and string a new wire
- Add an independent 24vac power supply at the thermostat, probably a small transformer wired to the back of a nearby power outlet

There is a Nest model that can operate without a C wire by stealing power from the furnace control line to keep a battery charged, but it's a bit problematic. It has to keep the power drain below the level that would activate the heat, and since it doesn't work when the heat is actually on, it tends to run low on power in the winter and fall back to low-power mode with intermittent WiFi.
Last edited by Exp315 on Dec 22nd, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 19, 2007
309 posts
92 upvotes
York
newin96 wrote: I'm going to try to price match Best Buy (they have a promotion bundle - get a free 3rd Gen Echo Dot with purchase of T5+ smart Thermostat)
Success!!! Superhot $92.74+12.06 tax = $104.80 total for T5+ and 3rd Gen Echo dot. Got dinged for $0.75 EHF though.
Dec 26, 2016
108 posts
141 upvotes
I purchased this item from Best Buy. It did not come with the 4 to 5 wire adapter so I had to return it. This smart thermostat requires a 5th wire for constant Power (C wire). The workarounds on google and YouTube did not work for me. One difference between this and a Nest is that the Nest has a built in battery and does not require a C wire for power. A word of advice to other buyers is to pop open your current old thermostat to see if it’s a 4 or 5 wire set up to avoid a lot of hassle. If you have only 4 wires then my advice is google what smart thermostat you can purchase that doesn’t require a C-wire.
Dec 12, 2012
369 posts
257 upvotes
Winnipeg
torontotuner wrote: I purchased this item from Best Buy. It did not come with the 4 to 5 wire adapter so I had to return it. This smart thermostat requires a 5th wire for constant Power (C wire). The workarounds on google and YouTube did not work for me. One difference between this and a Nest is that the Nest has a built in battery and does not require a C wire for power. A word of advice to other buyers is to pop open your current old thermostat to see if it’s a 4 or 5 wire set up to avoid a lot of hassle. If you have only 4 wires then my advice is google what smart thermostat you can purchase that doesn’t require a C-wire.
I installed this in a couple of minutes with only a 4 wire setup by switching over the fan wire. I have lost the ability to turn on the fan only now but I rarely if ever did that before anyways. I think however this model comes with a power adapter which means you won't have to worry about the missing wire.
Dec 21, 2018
1 posts
Great!! Did you price matched in store or online? Wonder if this would work if I buy a few of them.
Apr 19, 2007
309 posts
92 upvotes
York
RaduB63930 wrote: Great!! Did you price matched in store or online? Wonder if this would work if I buy a few of them.
I priced matched at bestbuy in store via customer service. I brought both the T5+ and the 3rd gen Echo dot unit... confirmed the bonus of the Echo dot unit as free with purchase with any T5... then had them price match/beat Lowes price.
The T5+ comes with the 4 to 5 wire power adapter.
Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2805 upvotes
canadian gal wrote: Had no c-wire and we used this, took all of 30 secs to install

https://smartthermostatguide.com/c-wire ... er-review/
That's the Venstar 4-to-5 adapter, which works the same as the adapter included with the T5+ and with many Nest thermostats.

It costs about $25 (https://www.amazon.ca/Venstar-ACC0410-A ... B008PLWT8C), so if you buy the T5+ that includes the adapter, that's $25 you don't have to spend. But it only works if you have 4 wires now.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1078 upvotes
Saint John
njchan wrote: ugh. can anyone else confirm the deal is dead? I thought the OP said it was in store and that the website was always $180.
Oops, perhaps that is the case. I have no Lowe's near me, so unfortunately I'm out either way.
Sep 23, 2010
734 posts
2678 upvotes
T Dot
Deal is dead.
Was in store yesterday and price was back to 180
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18656 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
Wow pretty hot Fire if pm works and free echo dot 3rd gen
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>