Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

BLACK + DECKER 7 1/4-in 9 Amp Compound Mitre Saw - $59

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2019 11:59 pm
Nov 25, 2015
317 posts
527 upvotes
the Wet Coast

[Lowe's] BLACK + DECKER 7 1/4-in 9 Amp Compound Mitre Saw - $59

No, it's not a Milwaukee, Bosch, DeWalt etc. but for the casual home DIYer Lowe's is clearing this mitre saw for $59.
Looks useful for smaller projects. Cutting flooring, mouldings, 2x4 ...

Has respectable reviews here and there seems to be plenty of stock around.

Images
  • mitre saw.JPG
23 replies
Jul 19, 2017
79 posts
143 upvotes
I've been patiently waiting for a good price on a mitre saw for a while now, this is an awesome price for a basic mitre saw, just not sure if I'll wait and get a better brand dewalt etc

now I don't know if I should pull the trigger on this lol anyone had experience with this one? Would need it for doing baseboards and a deck/fence
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1884 posts
7842 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
Baseboards no problem. Fence and deck you may wanna spend the extra few bucks
What's in your wallet?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6585 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
7 1/4" ? I would look for a sliding mitre saw. My first one I purchased was not - then I realized paying extra price for a sliding would mean much more cutting options that I could use (the pain of cutting a large piece of wood then flipping it to cut the other half)
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Spawk1028 wrote: Baseboards no problem. Fence and deck you may wanna spend the extra few bucks
My father in law is a contractor / does it all. If you would see the tools he uses sometime to work you wouldn't beleive it. He uses something until there's no life to it. Sometime I work with him and I have to ask "How the heck do you get this work" and trust me there's always a way to make it work.

My point is that I think you should be fine building a fence or a deck with this saw
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
nounou23 wrote: My father in law is a contractor / does it all. If you would see the tools he uses sometime to work you wouldn't beleive it. He uses something until there's no life to it. Sometime I work with him and I have to ask "How the heck do you get this work" and trust me there's always a way to make it work.

My point is that I think you should be fine building a fence or a deck with this saw
You could build a deck or fence with a hand saw, doesn't mean you would WANT to. I don't see this getting through 6x6 posts anytime soon. Lets not overstate what this is, a cheap & basic DIY saw.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
kr0zet wrote: You could build a deck or fence with a hand saw, doesn't mean you would WANT to. I don't see this getting through 6x6 posts anytime soon. Lets not overstate what this is, a cheap & basic DIY saw.
I'm just saying that if you want something for a one time build it might be the way to go VS buying a 300$ tool. Like you said you can use a saw to build a deck or a fence. My point was that it's still a good tool if you know how to use it :)
Nov 25, 2015
317 posts
527 upvotes
the Wet Coast
millsthrills wrote: Look at the reviewers other videos. Everything apparently "works like a champ" lol
Not actually the same reviewer. Just seems to be a list of reviews that reference things as "working like a champ". I guess it's for the I-only-purchase-things-that-work-like-a-champ crowd.
Dec 26, 2011
36 posts
47 upvotes
Victoria
Parttimebargainhunter wrote: I've been patiently waiting for a good price on a mitre saw for a while now, this is an awesome price for a basic mitre saw, just not sure if I'll wait and get a better brand dewalt etc

now I don't know if I should pull the trigger on this lol anyone had experience with this one? Would need it for doing baseboards and a deck/fence
Wait for the Kobalt 7 1/4 compound miter saw to come on sale at Lowes for $99. Goes on sale twice a year, I bought one on the last sale, I can cut 2x10's no problem. Worth it.

https://www.lowes.ca/mitre-saws/kobalt- ... 16611.html
May 20, 2004
717 posts
719 upvotes
nounou23 wrote: I'm just saying that if you want something for a one time build it might be the way to go VS buying a 300$ tool. Like you said you can use a saw to build a deck or a fence. My point was that it's still a good tool if you know how to use it :)
Totally agree. I have no experience with this particular tool however, but I've used a wide range of tools from B&D/Powerfist to ryobi/kobalt to ridgid/dewalt/bosch/makita/milwaukee/hitachi to husqvarna/Hilti.

If you're a homeowner working on a project here and there, I would go with the low end tool selection unless you can find a mid-high range that's heavily discounted. Go to garage sales, borrow from a friend or neighbour (while being respectful and buying your own blades/consumables) as first options. Your mitre saw will be sitting in storage 99% of the year. Most purchased tools have a very low utilization rate and it's a shame, but I'm sure the manufacturers love it.

For a miter saw, you don't absolutely need a sliding function. And if you have a circular saw (which you should purchase before you own a miter saw), you can cut the few larger posts easily.

The precision gained from higher end tools is lost when those tools are being used by an amateur i.e. The skills of the person is more often the limiting factor until you are at a professional level.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
7441 posts
4191 upvotes
Moncton, NB
bigdaddyyc wrote: Totally agree. I have no experience with this particular tool however, but I've used a wide range of tools from B&D/Powerfist to ryobi/kobalt to ridgid/dewalt/bosch/makita/milwaukee/hitachi to husqvarna/Hilti.

If you're a homeowner working on a project here and there, I would go with the low end tool selection unless you can find a mid-high range that's heavily discounted. Go to garage sales, borrow from a friend or neighbour (while being respectful and buying your own blades/consumables) as first options. Your mitre saw will be sitting in storage 99% of the year. Most purchased tools have a very low utilization rate and it's a shame, but I'm sure the manufacturers love it.

For a miter saw, you don't absolutely need a sliding function. And if you have a circular saw (which you should purchase before you own a miter saw), you can cut the few larger posts easily.

The precision gained from higher end tools is lost when those tools are being used by an amateur i.e. The skills of the person is more often the limiting factor until you are at a professional level.
And I agree with you that a circular saw is a good first power tool to buy. My dad got me one when we bought our first house 17 years ago and it's the tool that I've used the most since. And it doesn't have to be the most expensive one too. :)
Oct 26, 2009
80 posts
110 upvotes
NL
bigdaddyyc wrote: If you're a homeowner [...] Your mitre saw will be sitting in storage 99% of the year.
I'm that guy :(, bought the house, very enthusiastic about doing projects around it, bought a 12" sliding mastercraft maximum because "you never know when you are going to have to cut 6x6s!".
Now it's more of a huge pain in the ass to store/move around than anything, and 12" blades are so much more expensive than 10, 7 1/4...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
Wow, that's cheap. But the B&D quality grade is strictly for light home use, and as a non-sliding 7 1/4" miter saw, it' not going to be good for much more than cutting 2x4's. On balance I would wait for the Kobalt 7 1/4" sliding miter saw to go on sale again at Lowes (e.g., like lowes-kobalt-7-25-10amp-sliding-mitre-saw-99-2217134/). The sliding action lets it deal with wider work pieces, which is more important with a small 7 1/4" blade.
Nov 25, 2018
164 posts
221 upvotes
and go 10" kobalt if you want dual bevel and 0-45 degrees in both directions. just larger overall.
Jun 24, 2009
153 posts
104 upvotes
toronto
this is a nice price. now if only I had an absolute need for it.
Dec 17, 2010
697 posts
263 upvotes
bigdaddyyc wrote: Totally agree. I have no experience with this particular tool however, but I've used a wide range of tools from B&D/Powerfist to ryobi/kobalt to ridgid/dewalt/bosch/makita/milwaukee/hitachi to husqvarna/Hilti.

Totally agree. I have not used my mitre saw in two years.
Mar 3, 2009
114 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Signup for newsletter and get another $10 off.
Images
  • 20190326_214611.jpg