• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 7:12 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2019
175 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa

[Lowe's] Bosch Mitre Saw 8-1/2" - Single Bevel Sliding Compound CM8S $375

You may be able to price match at Home Depot for an extra 10%. But it is marked clearance at Lowes, so YMMV.

Solid deal on a great saw. I have been using one of these for the past year. Used it to build an addition on my house: it easily took care of all the framing and all of the trim work. It cut everything from 3" thick oak and poplar to 2x12 to TJI floor joists. The portable size is the best part about it. I can carry it one handed in and out of the house. Saw is very accurate: I have have cut 100+ mitered corners with it and they always come out great.

Limitations: it cant cut 4x4 and 6x6 posts. I just use a circular saw for those cuts anyways, I find it easier than dragging heavy posts up onto the saw bed. It is *only* single bevel... but, like most people, I only cut crown moulding about once every 10 years... so its not a big compromise for me, lol.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 4th, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3439 posts
1736 upvotes
Not knocking the deal, but I can't see why anyone would go with this over the 12" Milwaukee or 10" Ridgid at home depot. I guess if both are out of stock or you are sure you will never need anything larger than a 8.5" blade.
Nov 20, 2017
354 posts
272 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: Not knocking the deal, but I can't see why anyone would go with this over the 12" Milwaukee or 10" Ridgid at home depot. I guess if both are out of stock or you are sure you will never need anything larger than a 8.5" blade.
are smaller blades cheaper? is this more portable? Finer cuts?
I'm sure there's many reasons someone would want a smaller saw over a larger one

but I see what you're saying. I'd rather get the Rigid saw personally for the reason you mentioned. Why limit functionality on a smaller saw for more money.

I bought the Kobalt 10" dual bevel saw for 180 a couple weeks back.
Don't go broke saving
[OP]
Feb 26, 2019
175 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
The advantage is all about portability. The saw is small and light. I store my tools in the basement, but often use them outside to keep sawdust out of the house. I used to have a 12" dewalt. I sold it and bought this. I hated dragging out the big heavy saw. Besides, 95% of my cuts are 2x materials and trim, so this suits my usage way better.

Smaller saws are not for everyone. But if you value portability, this is the highest quality you can get at this size. The controls, function, and cut quality of this saw are as good or better than on the big boys.

There is less competition at this size, so sales don't come around as often, so I thought I would share.
Nov 22, 2007
45 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
This is a nice saw. I picked it up in February from Lowes for $349 which included a free stand. Perfect for my at home use
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3439 posts
1736 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote: are smaller blades cheaper? is this more portable? Finer cuts?
I'm sure there's many reasons someone would want a smaller saw over a larger one

but I see what you're saying. I'd rather get the Rigid saw personally for the reason you mentioned. Why limit functionality on a smaller saw for more money.

I bought the Kobalt 10" dual bevel saw for 180 a couple weeks back.
The free stand is a huge plus too that the Bosch deal does not include.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43786 posts
4431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SizzleChest wrote: Not knocking the deal, but I can't see why anyone would go with this over the 12" Milwaukee or 10" Ridgid at home depot. I guess if both are out of stock or you are sure you will never need anything larger than a 8.5" blade.
Those are more shop saws and not jobsite saws.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3439 posts
1736 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Those are more shop saws and not jobsite saws.
Not sure what criteria you are basing that on, but Milwaukee should be on par with Bosch and considering that if you were to return the free stand, the 12" Milwaukee comes out cheaper than the 8.5" Bosch, it seems like an obvious choice to me.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43786 posts
4431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SizzleChest wrote: Not sure what criteria you are basing that on, but Milwaukee should be on par with Bosch and considering that if you were to return the free stand, the 12" Milwaukee comes out cheaper than the 8.5" Bosch, it seems like an obvious choice to me.
I'm talking about weight and portability. I would not lug a 12" around, that would stay in a mitre saw cabinet/station.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3439 posts
1736 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I'm talking about weight and portability. I would not lug a 12" around, that would stay in a mitre saw cabinet/station.
Well the Ridgid stand is on wheels so that definitely qualifies as portable. Just noticed too that the Bosch is only single bevel. The Ridgid and Milwaukee are dual bevel.
Jan 11, 2017
95 posts
50 upvotes
This is a great saw, been a carpenter for 20+ years and always used 8 1/4 hitachi's but they stopped making them and so i got this saw. As a carpenter i have many different saws for many different applications, this saw is for trim work, weighs like 40 lbs and is really easy to move every day. Single bevel is all that is needed, 8 1/4 or 8 1/2 can cut up to 12" easily, and the handle is designed for great control and accuracy. Blades are hard to find in local stores now but amazon has tons of deals and most can be sharpened. If i want to cut 2x material i will use a circular saw not a mitre saw, i understand that most people are scared of circular saws so they buy a big mitre saws to compensate for their inabilities. Anyways this is a great saw at a great price, don't listen to those who tell you you need a bigger saw with more features, they are just compensating for their insecurities.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2986 posts
1843 upvotes
Montreal
dottawat wrote: The advantage is all about portability. The saw is small and light. I store my tools in the basement, but often use them outside to keep sawdust out of the house. I used to have a 12" dewalt. I sold it and bought this. I hated dragging out the big heavy saw. Besides, 95% of my cuts are 2x materials and trim, so this suits my usage way better.

Smaller saws are not for everyone. But if you value portability, this is the highest quality you can get at this size. The controls, function, and cut quality of this saw are as good or better than on the big boys.

There is less competition at this size, so sales don't come around as often, so I thought I would share.
Exactly this, I have the 12" glider with gravity rise stand, they weight over 120 lbs and are absolutely pig to move, whereas with this you just pick up with one hand and walk to wherever. Every time I move mine I wish I had bought this instead.

Also this should give more precision, bigger the saw head more deflection there is.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2019
175 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you ever lugged a mitre saw on a wheeled stand up and down a flight of stairs? Not my idea of portable. Wheeled stands are great for moving a large saw around around a shop, but not so helpful it you need to move from room to room (let alone site to site). The Rigid sale is a great sale for that *kind* of saw. This Bosch is a different category of saw.

I think if most people were honest with themselves about the types of cuts they actually make, they would wind up with a smaller saw. However, tool companies know how to market "bigger is better" - lots of people fall for this and wind up dropping $500 on a 90 lb saw to cut colonial baseboards and a couple dozen 2x6s. Dual Bevel is also generally unneeded (unless you install crown moulding for a living) it just adds cost and weight. They look impressive, though.

I'm still waiting to see which tool company comes out with the first 14" saw... just to one-up the competition and appeal to insecure weekend warrior. lol.
Nov 20, 2017
354 posts
272 upvotes
lol wtf everyone who buys a bigger saw is insecure I guess.

odd choice of wording. I guess the guys with smaller saws are hung. Good points though.
The 10" dual bevel I just bought isn't that heavy tbh. Lighter than my oldschool 8.5"
I don't think it's fair to say bigger saws are heavier. Probably varies by brand/model. The Kobalt 10" I got is 43 pounds. Not that heavy
Don't go broke saving
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1151 posts
329 upvotes
Markham, GTA
Nice saw. Better pick up in store if possible.

I ordered a Kobalt 7 1/4 miter saw from Lowes for delivery mid-May and it hasn't even shipped yet. :facepalm:
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D