Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowes.ca

Kobalt 80-volt cordless electric snow blower incl battery 279.44$

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2020 12:52 pm
May 27, 2008
573 posts
545 upvotes

Kobalt 80-volt cordless electric snow blower incl battery 279.44$

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
February 5, 2020
Retailer:
Lowes.ca
Was in the market since a while... Here you go

Was already on Clearance at 349.30$. If my memory serves me well, I think it was selling regular price for 500$
Last edited by martlgore on Jan 30th, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2007
1111 posts
1893 upvotes
St. Albert, AB
I strongly recommend against buying this. I purchased the bare tool version of this and it was useless. There is some fault within it and it cut out every 10 ft or so which made clearing the driveway more of a chore than actually shovelling (well, more frustrating at least). I returned it and the staff mentioned this was a very common problem as they'd had a bunch of returns.

I am back to using an 18" wide corded snow blower and that is way less hassle than this thing was.
Mar 3, 2005
924 posts
670 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I was considering buying this before winter but a design flaw with the electrical. Lots of reviews of users reporting the snow blower cutting out. Stay away. There is also a 40 volt version of this that does not have that issue but the 40 volt is under powered.
Dec 21, 2006
230 posts
100 upvotes
There is a 22" brushless version that seems to have much better reviews. I think the $599 USD retail price refers to that model.
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
I've wanted a cordless snow blower for years. Unfortunately, based on extensive reading of reviews, most of them appear to be useful only for certain types of snowfalls. They tend to have difficulty throwing snow far, or wet snow, or icey clumps, or snowplow banks at end of the driveway, or deep snow. (there are some exceptions but they tend to be very expensive). The issue is clearly power delivery.

A few years ago rather than buying cordless tools from many companies, I invested in Dewalt Max 20V tools. It was a good choice because Dewalt isn't a fly by night company. I still use the tools today., The batteries are still sold and still in use. I even can use them in combination as a portable power bank during blackouts. The alternative of having lots of different chargers and batteries from different brands can lead to situation where battery sometimes aren't charged when you need it whereas a battery used for multiple devices you'll usually have several batteries charged.

I'm planning on employing the same strategy with snowblower. Focusing on battery tech, at minimum a 110V, AND an ecosystem that supports that battery. High end batteries are expensive. It's wasteful to use them only for one or two purposes and just a few times a year. Buying batteries that will be obsolete or unsupported in a few years also doesn't make much sense.

- 110V is enough power to get the job done for any type of snow (assuming enough amps and Watt Hours too)
- a 110V battery can also be used as a native power UPS in emergencies. (i.e. no need to transform power which adds costs and loss of some efficiency)
- the ability to chain multiple 110V batteries together to turn it into something like a Yeti (e.g. can connect to solar array to use for camping, or power appliances during blackouts)
- battery could be used not just for typical snowthower. lawn mower, and leaf blower.... but dozens of devices and tools

The bottom line, I'd rather spend 1000 bucks for something that will do the job, and also support many other uses for the battery, then spending 300-600 bucks for something that won't.

My guess is either an existing tool company like Bosch, Dewalt, Mikita, Milwaukee, Rigid, yada yada will do it -- or an existing yardwork company will need to expand their product lines. Or maybe some government legislation or industry standards to make battery interface inter operable between brands. Until then, using old school shovel.

My two cents.
Last edited by needybot on Jan 31st, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
I bought the bare tool at the start of winter and it died mid way through the second use. Exchanged it for another one and have used it for the last few months without issue. I'm not confident it will last forever but it was only $100 when I bought it. $280 with a battery and charger isn't a bad price, but keep in mind you may need to return it. For the $100 I paid the risk has been worth it so far.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
Looks exactly like the one I've been using for the last 4 years... No problems with it! It handled the snowstorm 2 weeks ago perfectly. No issues with cutout, nor lack of power, nor distance of throw...

Judging by the negative comments, guess I'm lucky?
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
needybot wrote: I've wanted a cordless snow blower for years. Unfortunately, based on extensive reading of reviews, most of them appear to be useful only for certain types of snowfalls. They tend to have difficulty throwing snow far, or wet snow, or icey clumps, or snowplow banks at end of the driveway, or deep snow. (there are some exceptions but they tend to be very expensive). The issue is clearly power delivery.

A few years ago rather than buying cordless tools from many companies, I invested in Dewalt Max 20V tools. It was a good choice because Dewalt isn't a fly by night company. I still use the tools today., The batteries are still sold and still in use. I even can use them in combination as a portable power bank during blackouts. Having lots of different chargers and batteries also has some negatives (e.g battery sometimes aren't charged when you need it whereas a battery used for multiple devices you'll usually have several batteries charged)

I'm planning on employing the same strategy with snowblower. Focusing on battery tech, at minimum a 110V, AND an ecosystem that supports that battery. High end batteries are expensive. It's wasteful to use them only for one or two purposes and just a few times a year. Buying batteries that will be obsolete or unsupported in a few years also doesn't make much sense.

- 110V is enough power to get the job done for any type of snow (assuming enough amps and Watt Hours too)
- a 110V battery can also be used as a native power UPS in emergencies. (i.e. no need to transform power which adds costs and even loses of some efficiency)
- the ability to chain multiple 110V batteries together to turn it into something like a Yeti (e.g. can connect to solar array to use for camping, or power appliances during blackouts)
- battery could be used not just for typical snowthower. lawn mower, and leaf blower.... but dozens of devices and tools

The bottom line, I'd rather spend 1000 bucks for something that will do the job, and also support many other uses for the battery, then spending 300-600 bucks for something that won't.

My guess is either an existing tool company like Bosch, Dewalt, Mikita, Milwaukee, Rigid, yada yada will do it -- or an existing yardwork company will need to expand their product lines. Or maybe some government legislation or industry standards to make battery interface inter operable between brands. Until then, using old school shovel.

My two cents.
That’s a very good thought process. If a company comes out with 110v tools, I think I’ll make that investment as well.

Maybe Tesla will branch out to power tools one day.
May 27, 2008
573 posts
545 upvotes
Thanks to all for your input! Bought it, posted it and will try it and judge if I keep it or not...
May 27, 2008
573 posts
545 upvotes
pylon wrote: There is a 22" brushless version that seems to have much better reviews. I think the $599 USD retail price refers to that model.
Yep, you are right, I'll pull it off
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2009
1127 posts
217 upvotes
Used it during gta snow storm 2 weeks ago, worked like a charm the day of snow but next day Sunday it became useless as snow firmed up and got heavier with rain mix and overnight cold temperatures
Dec 12, 2007
978 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
I have the 40v one always stalls when the snow is too thick

I wouldn’t buy it again but whatever lesson lesrnt
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6584 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
I bought this in October - the first one would die after a few seconds, fiddle with the switch it would start only to keep cutting out again. Took it back and exchanged it for a new one. No issues with the replacement, slogged through deep wet snow with a struggle but it did it.

Not sure why some of them have a cut out issue. I would never go back to a cord after feeling the freedom of a battery.

A tip with battery blowers is when the snow gets deep only plow half if the opening. It may slow things down but it keeps it from bogging. Probably not an issue for two stage battery ones.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73