• Oct 22nd, 2020 3:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2296 posts
359 upvotes
Edmonton

Lowes Canada changed price match policy

I just found out that Lowe's just changed its price match policy. There is no more price beat by 10%. The policy on their website is very clear that it is price match only.

Please share your experience with Lowe's in the last few days.
66 replies
Sep 8, 2006
933 posts
577 upvotes
Edmonton
In general, what is the point of a price match? Unless someone wants to use up a gift card or the item is out of stock at the original sale place, a price match is useless. Might as well just buy from the original sale place.
Sep 26, 2011
241 posts
289 upvotes
While waiting in line at the customer service counter on Thursday or Friday of last week, I happened to noticed an employee using a heat gun to remove the vinyl sign above the front door about price matching. Seemed strange, because this was one of the recently converted-from-Rona stores (what, they're changing store signage again?) and there was a huge sign beside the door on the wall that said they price match, but I didn't notice that the newer sign omits the 10% extra offer. A quick check shows Home Depot still has "beat it by 10%" but watch: now they'll probably stop doing that, too.
Sneaky bastards! Blame fiduciary responsibility to American shareholders. Lowe's blows.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3497 posts
1262 upvotes
Woodbridge
Simby wrote: In general, what is the point of a price match? Unless someone wants to use up a gift card or the item is out of stock at the original sale place, a price match is useless. Might as well just buy from the original sale place.
You might not have the original sale place nearby, or there may be other products you need from a particular retailer. Might be less of a factor in a hardware store, but if you're shopping at Wal-Mart it's simply more convenient to get everything in one spot with price matching than drive to 4 or 5 different places just to pick up one or two items each.
Jan 4, 2013
541 posts
182 upvotes
Ah no doubt. Never really used Lowes much anyways, only when I had time before work since they were close. Hopefully HD doesn't change.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3993 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
Simby wrote: In general, what is the point of a price match? Unless someone wants to use up a gift card or the item is out of stock at the original sale place, a price match is useless. Might as well just buy from the original sale place.
A few reasons...

#1 Closer although for those out west, that likely applies to home depot vs lowes since there are more HD here

#2 Lowes has physical stock (appliances) while HD needs to order (except like 1 or 2 models)... so if you prefer to get it faster or do a pickup vs delivery, you pm at lowes. Also physical stock of smaller items might not be in stock close by at one location vs another.

#3 Airmiles... lowes often have promo for that and 5x airmiles for $100+. Its not a huge saving by any means but its a form of savings.

Plus if you are pming lowes/home depot with each other, its generally very fast and easy. If you are trying to pm other stores, probably better off at hd vs lowes (from my experience but that varies by store/rep).
Sep 8, 2006
933 posts
577 upvotes
Edmonton
Paigne wrote: A few reasons...

#1 Closer although for those out west, that likely applies to home depot vs lowes since there are more HD here

#2 Lowes has physical stock (appliances) while HD needs to order (except like 1 or 2 models)... so if you prefer to get it faster or do a pickup vs delivery, you pm at lowes. Also physical stock of smaller items might not be in stock close by at one location vs another.

#3 Airmiles... lowes often have promo for that and 5x airmiles for $100+. Its not a huge saving by any means but its a form of savings.

Plus if you are pming lowes/home depot with each other, its generally very fast and easy. If you are trying to pm other stores, probably better off at hd vs lowes (from my experience but that varies by store/rep).
Exactly. Your reasons purely benefit the consumer and does nothing for the store. Lowes has physical stock so for you to get the item quicker, you have to pay more. The 3rd reason you're stacking on another discount.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4830 posts
6063 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Simby wrote: Exactly. Your reasons purely benefit the consumer and does nothing for the store. Lowes has physical stock so for you to get the item quicker, you have to pay more. The 3rd reason you're stacking on another discount.
The store gained the sale and their competitor lost the sale. With a single item sold, they beat out their competitor in revenue for twice the cost of the sale price. Why does that not benefit the store?

I PM at Lowes all the time for items sold at CT merely because I hate the atmosphere of CT stores and the inefficiency of their cashiers.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3993 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
Simby wrote: Exactly. Your reasons purely benefit the consumer and does nothing for the store. Lowes has physical stock so for you to get the item quicker, you have to pay more. The 3rd reason you're stacking on another discount.
As a customer, im pointing out why a customer would price match instead of going to the original store like you suggested.

As far as why a store price matches... simple if the dont, they will lose business to competitors that do. Its the cost of doing business whether you like it or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2919 posts
4604 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
HD was always better than Lowes though.
Jan 26, 2012
228 posts
156 upvotes
Ontario
Store location. If I can price match to a store nearby, it might save me from driving out of town or out of my way in town.

I believe I price matched something at Best Buy that was chearper online (amazon?), which got me the item right away with 10% off the difference.
Aug 20, 2008
454 posts
222 upvotes
GTA
i can't believe they changed this policy... i was online doing a PM and he advised me they changed it as of Feb 3 without notice to any employees... they were shocked too.

the online agent made a 1 time exemption to my order though.

I guess I will be purchasing all of my stuff through HD from now on...
Nov 29, 2003
357 posts
98 upvotes
North York
This really needs to be bumped. Like a PSA. I discovered this recently because I looked for specifics online and couldn't find them.
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
jvnanu wrote: You might not have the original sale place nearby, or there may be other products you need from a particular retailer. Might be less of a factor in a hardware store, but if you're shopping at Wal-Mart it's simply more convenient to get everything in one spot with price matching than drive to 4 or 5 different places just to pick up one or two items each.
Walmart price matching is easy. Just show the cashier the local competitor's ad on your cell phone, and she will match it. On the other hand, the price match at Lowes is a pain because if you show the competitor's ad, she will go to her computer, check the manufacturer/product # to make sure they are identical (note that the same Chamberlain 3/4hp garage door opener sold by home depot and lowes have different manufacturer/product # to avoid price match), print out the screenshot, and attach to the register's slip. The whole process takes 3 to 5 minutes.
Dec 12, 2007
760 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
I just bought a water heater and now it's on sale $26 cheaper after taxes.

Does Lowes still price match ? Should i call them first or just pop by their store where i bought from ?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3993 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
phoenix_bladen wrote: I just bought a water heater and now it's on sale $26 cheaper after taxes.

Does Lowes still price match ? Should i call them first or just pop by their store where i bought from ?
They will match but not beat and only within 30 days (i think, didnt check the site to confirm time). Note the fine print for save the tax state it does not apply for previous purchase so no idea if they will honor a price match based on saving the tax.
May 11, 2006
311 posts
225 upvotes
I believe bestbuy is also getting to the point that they're not doing the "beat the price by 10% of the difference" price match...
Apr 28, 2018
1 posts
Edmonton
Just reading this thread now, but dang I also hate CT store atmosphere! Asking staff for help is a gamble: "find someone over there in that department" or "let me find out" then wait 20 minutes because they genuinely don't know. However, I found that the returns people and cashiers have improved somewhat in the past few years.
Oct 6, 2007
267 posts
47 upvotes
Vaughan
Lowe's price match policy with additional 10% is back!

https://www.lowes.ca/articles/every-day ... a1585.html

Price match for retail stores plus an additional 10%

We guarantee our everyday competitive prices. If you find an identical item currently offered for less at a local competitor's store or website (including shipping, handling and fees, if applicable), we will match their price and beat it by 10%.

Competitor close-out, errors or misprints, discontinued, clearance, liquidation, special order, damaged items, delivery, assembly, financing offers, Cyber Monday prices, Black Friday prices, Boxing Day/Week, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, and limited or minimum quantity offers, and installation labour are excluded from this offer.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3993 posts
2515 upvotes
Vancouver
They probably found out after no 10%, everyone just shops at home depot instead of them. I prefer HD over Lowes if all things are equal since i seem to get better service there over Lowes. So the only reason i would shop @ Lowes is if HD is cheaper (and base value is worth the trip) or HD doesn't carry an item. Plus until the grandview Lowes recently opened, HD was much much closer for those in Vancouver (closest Lowes being in New West, i had 5 HD closer to my house/work than Lowes until the new store opened lol). The same probably held true for everyone in West/North Van, Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey (since there are multiple HD there too), etc.