Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lowe's

Craftsman 159 piece mechanics tool set $86.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2019 12:36 am
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
er34er34 wrote: If you are a mechanic, you already have the tools.

If you are just getting into this hobby, you most likely have no use for SAE unless you are into classic cars. I don't think I've seen a post-2000 American car with SAE fasteners - all Metric.

Only use for SAE I've encountered is in some plumbing(though you can manage in most cases with a wrench).
Yup, I wish they would split the set into 2, SAE and Metric. Would like a cheaper, lighter Metric only set.

Not many people using socket sets for plumbing, adjustable wrenches for the win.

Aside from working on my car / wheel changes etc., I find a socket set is rarely needed in day to day life. I guess I also use it for lawnmower maintenance.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Sep 25th, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 15, 2017
348 posts
665 upvotes
WEST CANADA
er34er34 wrote: If you are a mechanic, you already have the tools.

If you are just getting into this hobby, you most likely have no use for SAE unless you are into classic cars. I don't think I've seen a post-2000 American car with SAE fasteners - all Metric.

Only use for SAE I've encountered is in some plumbing(though you can manage in most cases with a wrench).
For SAE I just use pressure pliers. Or a metric tool that fits loosely.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
ElvisD735799 wrote: Better quality ratchet drive than Home Depot or Canada
Doesn't Stanley make most of these consumer level socket sets these days? And then they are rebranded as Mastercraft, Husky, Craftsman etc.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Sep 25th, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Hanatan wrote: Is this a solid set for occasionally working on the car at home? Just wondering how the quality is compared to the other cheap sets out there.
Quality is likely very similar to Stanley / Husky / Mastercraft Maximum sets. Consumer grade and good enough for non pros.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Not many people using socket sets for plumbing, adjustable wrenches for the win.
Socket saved the day for me trying to remove a stubborn tub faucet cartridge. It just wasn't coming out with the adjustable wrench. Soaked in PB, no go. Socket wrench was the last resort next to cutting, and it came out instantly. 6 contact surfaces beats 2.

Very rare corner case I admit and I wouldn't buy a SAE set just for this if I haven't had it already.
Apr 30, 2004
273 posts
79 upvotes
It is not Craftsman from old days. Its all made in China. No much different fom Stanley, Mastercraft, Dewalt, etc.
Just get a set with socket sizes u need and right sale price.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1092 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
Kurtz7834 wrote: Unless you are a mechanic using this all day (and if you are, you probably want a better quality set than this), I'd really recommend getting a universal socket set that combines SAE and Metric, etc in the same socket. Really cuts down on the size and weight.
What are some better quality sets? If you have some money to burn, what would you buy?
Apr 30, 2004
273 posts
79 upvotes
I would buy Stanley Proto from Amazon.
Those are US made and reasonable priced.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2010
1255 posts
814 upvotes
Canada
Hanatan wrote: Is this a solid set for occasionally working on the car at home? Just wondering how the quality is compared to the other cheap sets out there.
It's fine for occasional use. Keep in mind like most of these cheap sets they have no bigger sockets (i.e. over 22mm or 15/16") but they will have several duplicate size smaller sockets.
Mar 17, 2006
740 posts
505 upvotes
Although I rarely have a use for SAE sockets, I would not call them totally useless. As mentioned earlier, plumbing often uses SAE sizes. Repairing older lawnmowers and cheapo department store bikes also gets me to use my shiny SAE sockets. Chain link fences (adjusting gate hinges etc) are mainly SAE as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
4278 posts
3753 upvotes
silva06 wrote: There’s a $5 off promo code when you add over $85 to your cart. The promo shows up on the website. Paid $81.99 + tax. I think it’s great value for what I’m using it for: a prize at my stag.
You just paid -$680 for it Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
Craftsman has quite a wide placement in Black and Decker Stanley product line. So some of it will be more targeted to consumers then Stanley products, and some will be more similar or more targeted to professionals then the Stanley stuff. All at a higher price.

Screenshot_20190926-000708_Chrome.jpg

Dont know where this kit falls. Or if quality would better or worse then Stanley, could be either.

Link to source for image.
https://toolguyd.com/craftsman-dewalt-a ... oned-2019/
Images
  • Screenshot_20190926-000708_Chrome.jpg
Dec 24, 2007
544 posts
156 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: Outside of number of sockets how does this compare to this Stanley set I got on sale for $109 recently? I wanted get a craftsman but I caved when I saw the lower price on that Stanley set.

Also, reminder to use ebates or airmilesshops for a slightly cheaper purchase.
How often does it go on sale and what store did you buy it at?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
4278 posts
3753 upvotes
lbckhmerinc wrote: How often does it go on sale and what store did you buy it at?
Canadian tire during the big red sale in August. Sale was nation (or at least province) wide. It probably hits at least 70-75% off once a season.
For example, this one is on sale now (which is nice as it has the wrenches included): https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stan ... 9287p.html