Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] CRAFTSMAN 243cc 28-in Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower $999 + $100 gift card (Reg. $1449) Thursday

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2019 2:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
3370 posts
18023 upvotes

[Lowe's] CRAFTSMAN 243cc 28-in Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower $999 + $100 gift card (Reg. $1449) Thursday

CRAFTSMAN 243cc 28-in Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower $999 + $100 gift card (Reg. $1449) Thursday
9 replies
Apr 3, 2007
715 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Is this a good deal?

I need to get a snowblower and have no clue what to get for my dad. He has an old ass snowblower that keeps breaking down and I have no idea what is a good running machine
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5076 upvotes
London
Seoulkid wrote: Is this a good deal?

I need to get a snowblower and have no clue what to get for my dad. He has an old ass snowblower that keeps breaking down and I have no idea what is a good running machine
Depends on your snow conditions
1. Amount of snowfall
2. Size of the windrows left by the plow at the end of the driveway
3. Size of driveway
4. How far does the snow have to be blown
5. Paved or gravel driveway
6. Walkways? steps ?

What blower does your dad have right now? For most of the GTA, a Toro 721e is almost considered the de facto blower. Single stage, powerful, easy to use, fast, easy to store
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3985 posts
484 upvotes
Thanks, OP! Been going back and forth on Briggs and Stratton, and now this Craftsman. Is this one made in China?
Proud member of SENS Army
Aug 3, 2012
407 posts
198 upvotes
AURORA
The older (Sears time) Craftsman snow blowers used Briggs and Stratton engines that were 250cc. I have one, and I'm pretty happy with it for 8 years. This one is a 243cc. Not sure if that is a different engine, but it is not listed as a Briggs but it looks identical on the picture. Could be an oriental knock-off although they are all made overseas. [edit: I noticed that starter switch is different on the Craftsman vs Briggs model. So maybe the Craftsman is indeed a different engine).

Lowes still sells a blower with the 250cc engine, and CT as well for $1199: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/brig ... gK6LPD_BwE

More importantly: I'm not a fan of the crank-style chute. It takes to long to swing it from left to right if you are doing many passes - which you will do a lot with a 28" blower.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5076 upvotes
London
homeowner72 wrote: .... This one is a 243cc. .,
243cc would likely be mtd powermore engines, made in China. Designed by mtd

Most of the Briggs and Stratton snow series of snowblower engines are also made in China

The bright side is LCT Tecumseh makes a modern version of the famous SnowKing engine in Wisconsin
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2129 posts
1010 upvotes
Ontario
For those who have purchased this snowblower, did Lowes charge HST? They have Save the Tax promotion but it is for regular price items over $150 only .
Currently happy customer with Telus and Freedom Mobile
Apr 3, 2007
715 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Depends on your snow conditions
1. Amount of snowfall
2. Size of the windrows left by the plow at the end of the driveway
3. Size of driveway
4. How far does the snow have to be blown
5. Paved or gravel driveway
6. Walkways? steps ?

What blower does your dad have right now? For most of the GTA, a Toro 721e is almost considered the de facto blower. Single stage, powerful, easy to use, fast, easy to store
My dad uses it for their 2 car wide driveway as well as the backyard to push snow away from the house. The usual amount of snow is about 3 to 7 cm.

He had a Sears Craftsman snowblower. I believe it's exit chute was a crank style so you could pivot left or right. It looks like a tank.

I'm hoping to find something in a good price point around possibly 1000 total?

Is that wishful thinking?
I did see a 699 2 stage snowblower from lowes on here just recently but wasn't sure it was good.

I know that I need a 2 stage snowblower though.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5076 upvotes
London
Seoulkid wrote: My dad uses it for their 2 car wide driveway as well as the backyard to push snow away from the house. The usual amount of snow is about 3 to 7 cm.

He had a Sears Craftsman snowblower. I believe it's exit chute was a crank style so you could pivot left or right. It looks like a tank.

I'm hoping to find something in a good price point around possibly 1000 total?

Is that wishful thinking?
I did see a 699 2 stage snowblower from lowes on here just recently but wasn't sure it was good.

I know that I need a 2 stage snowblower though.
I assume you mean 3-7” , not cm?

The op machine is sized big (28” ) for GTA type conditions , but it does have “power steering “ for much better maneuverability than your dad’s old machine . Your dads old machine is likely an older type engine ( likely a Tecumseh snow king L head) where as the new engines today are all OHV for much better performance.

Ideally, a smaller 24” machine will be easier to maneuver as well as store like the cub cadet 24” 208cc with power steering which goes for around $799 when on sale