• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2019 5:19 am
Feb 28, 2015
399 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto, ON
careh wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:56 am
If your new build is not yet built - you could confirm that they will be putting poly under the concrete floor (which I believe is code these days). That would prevent a lot of moisture from wicking up through the concrete. You could also look into the pros and cons of having foam insulation put down *under* the concrete as well... to slow down heat loss through the floor.... and also foam applied on the outside of the basement walls. Concrete always 'wicks' moisture - so even with the poly and foam - there will be some moisture that is going to come through especially in the first couple of years when the concrete is curing and drying out. I believe the subfloor is set up that any moisture that does come up will migrate to the edge of the subfloor where there is no moisture barrier - which might be for example where your basement floor drain is located... but could also be at the walls where the subfloor ends. I wonder if that would lead to rot /mold of the wood wall studs unless they are somehow protected. I think these days they call for poly wrapped around the bottom plate to protect the wall stud bottom plate.

Your basement concrete walls also will wick moisture - even with the old school 'damp proofing' (black tar coating sprayed on the outside). These days I believe the code requires a more robust 'waterproofing' - like Delta MS - but I am not totally up on today's codes.

You may also want to wait a couple of years before finishing the basement - to allow the concrete walls and floor to fully dry out... and so you can spot any structural defects in case they happen.
Poly isn't code.
Jul 5, 2004
23700 posts
3207 upvotes
Damn, just bought 10 rolls of this about a month ago. Going to see if I can either get a price protection or if I can do a return and rebuy. I haven't installed it yet
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1546 posts
595 upvotes
Hamilton
bpcrally wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:22 am
If using this on concrete and with laminate, what else do I need? Originally I was planning on using DMX airflow and laying laminate directly on top. But with delta being about 1/3 of the price, it's tough to ignore.
I'm assuming I need some sort of padding between the delta and laminate to keep it warmer and quiet?
I used Costco laminate with the foam back right over this stuff.

It was fine. Still too cold for my liking but it did the job.
Jul 5, 2004
23700 posts
3207 upvotes
Mylocosta wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 8:51 am
Hey guys I purchased 6 rolls of these on boxing day for regular price $66 would I be able to go back with the receipt and get the difference?
Yes. I just did it
Apr 18, 2007
385 posts
220 upvotes
Scodino wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:15 am
Same. If your planning to DIY, Dricore is a great option. Much easier to maneuver than a large OSB board.

I used Dricore on my basement and I totally recommend.
Well I had to lay on OSB after to make it thick enough to drive the flooring nails through the hardwood, but I guess with laminate you don't need to.
Feb 10, 2018
80 posts
97 upvotes
Scodino wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:15 am
Same. If your planning to DIY, Dricore is a great option. Much easier to maneuver than a large OSB board.

I used Dricore on my basement and I totally recommend.
Dricore does not have any vapour barrier qualities,, if using dricore a super 6 poly is need to be put down with all seams taped before the dricore is laid
Jul 21, 2013
565 posts
205 upvotes
Calgary
Drycore also doesn't help you when the concrete isn't nice and level (which it won't be). We had to use tons of trim to make it look OK.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1028 posts
351 upvotes
Near GTA
MajorCanuck wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:03 pm
I opted for the larger width rolls of Delta MS. It's not on sale but the per ft. cost is almost the same anyways. If you have larger spaces to cover this lets you do it faster with less seams. Just a thought. This membrane plus 4X8 sheets of OSB makes quick work of most basements.

https://www.lowes.ca/roll-insulation/5- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Brilliant, thanks! Still need walls, so can wait for a sale on the larger rolls.
Oct 24, 2008
849 posts
482 upvotes
Rona has a 20% off anything over $100 deal today. I ended up using this to price match with home depot and get DMX airflow for about $80 a roll. Still almost double the price of the delta but it has built in padding, low profile and good insulation properties.
Dec 30, 2015
60 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
fancypantsfloyd wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:32 am
I think I need to let the concrete breath, otherwise I'm trapping all the moisture? Is this the case?
Yup. The idea of this product is sound. I used DMX dimpled membrane sealed with blue tuck tape and floor grade OSB screwed down with tapcon screws. Much cheaper. Same effect. Where headroom is a concern I've also seen dimpled underlay with manufactured wood flooring on top.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2447 posts
397 upvotes
Burlington
CaptainCrash wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:04 pm
I used Costco laminate with the foam back right over this stuff.

It was fine. Still too cold for my liking but it did the job.
Really? Did the same thing and changed a freezing basement floor into very livable/comfortable. OK, previously it was underpad and berber on concrete, but still.
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends).
Dec 25, 2007
904 posts
378 upvotes
I'm in the middle of finishing my basement. I put down this Delta FL and I'm very happy with it.
Jul 5, 2004
23700 posts
3207 upvotes
smitty9999 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:25 pm
I'm in the middle of finishing my basement. I put down this Delta FL and I'm very happy with it.
Is the Delta-FL directly on the concrete or did you put down landscaping fabric first? Is it noisy at all when you walk on it?