Expired Hot Deals

[Lowe's] Expired. Whirlpool 44,000-Grain Water Softener $475 before tax ymmv

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2019 11:11 pm
Oct 26, 2013
34 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
For the 15% scratch and save, do I need to add a code when checking out online or do they do price adjustments when picking up in store?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
1228 posts
2355 upvotes
Pickering and Scarborough West, Calgary - McKenzie, Red Deer, Edmonton - South Common, Edmonton - Gateway, Sherwood Park, still showing up as $599.20 at the moment.
Last edited by hill15 on Jul 22nd, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
7500 posts
3658 upvotes
ON
l69norm wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 7:27 am
It reduces the amount of hardness or calcium carbide dissolved in your tap water. It’s the stuff that makes that hard white residue / build up on appliances, steam irons, faucets, shower heads etc.

Water harness is expressed in grains/gallon. You can find this in your city utilities water quality report or here
https://www.aquatell.ca/pages/water-har ... ty-ontario

So if your city water hardness is 22 grains per gallon (really hard), a 44,000 grain softener would produce 2,000 gallons of soft water before it needs to be “recharged “ or regenerated. A person uses 80 gallons/day so a family of 4 uses 320 gallons per day. A 44,000 grain unit would need to be regenerated about every 6-7 days

Example
Calgary 166 mg/L = 10 grains/gallon
44,000 grains = 4,400 gallons of soft water before regeneration
Family of 4 = 320 gallons per day = 14 days per regeneration

The main benefits are no more calcium buildup in your appliances - water heater, dishwasher, washing machine, steam irons, so you’ll generally get longer life. Less soap required in washing/ showering, push things come out cleaner. These are major issues for people on very hard water like well water

Water tastes worse - calcium is replaced by sodium = salt

As outdoor taps are normally bypassed, your car won’t get any benefit
What would be the benefit of washing your car with salt water anyway ?
Aug 30, 2015
437 posts
142 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
l69norm wrote:
calcium is replaced by sodium = salt
is that true tho?

I thought the resin was used to remove the calcium from the water and salt was only used to "clean up" the resin, flushing it to the city pipes. So in theory the sodium is not put back to into your house system.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
1228 posts
2355 upvotes
elusivecactus wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 10:09 am
For the 15% scratch and save, do I need to add a code when checking out online or do they do price adjustments when picking up in store?
Promo Code is SCRATCH, enter it when checking out online.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3098 posts
1027 upvotes
Airdrie
pca1987 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 10:21 am
is that true tho?

I thought the resin was used to remove the calcium from the water and salt was only used to "clean up" the resin, flushing it to the city pipes. So in theory the sodium is not put back to into your house system.
It is true, though you are partially correct as well: https://watersoftenerfacts.ca/how-softeners-work/

"As water flows through the resin beads, hardness ions trade places with salt ions, hence the higher salt content in softened water...
The beads are recharged by adding bags of salt to the brine tank. Recharging works the same as softening but in reverse. The hardness ions swap places with the salt ions in the brine tank and excess minerals are rinsed into the wastewater drain."
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
May 17, 2008
220 posts
28 upvotes
At 4 am I saw 2 promotions in the checkout page.
Now there's only one left for SCRATCH.
Keep using the hardened water.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Looks like a price error or system error then

Because many stores I checked yesterday before I posted had already removed the special order and the price went back to original
Feb 6, 2015
92 posts
52 upvotes
Calgary
It worked for me in Calgary (Crowfoot location only).

However, I might be wrong, but there is a chance that this in-store pick-up order will be cancelled...

Has anyone had experience with Lowes cancelling in-store pick-up orders with price errors?
Feb 6, 2015
92 posts
52 upvotes
Calgary
l69norm wrote:
It reduces the amount of hardness or calcium carbide dissolved in your tap water. It’s the stuff that makes that hard white residue / build up on appliances, steam irons, faucets, shower heads etc.

Water harness is expressed in grains/gallon. You can find this in your city utilities water quality report or here
https://www.aquatell.ca/pages/water-har ... ty-ontario

So if your city water hardness is 22 grains per gallon (really hard), a 44,000 grain softener would produce 2,000 gallons of soft water before it needs to be “recharged “ or regenerated. A person uses 80 gallons/day so a family of 4 uses 320 gallons per day. A 44,000 grain unit would need to be regenerated about every 6-7 days

Example
Calgary 166 mg/L = 10 grains/gallon
44,000 grains = 4,400 gallons of soft water before regeneration
Family of 4 = 320 gallons per day = 14 days per regeneration

The main benefits are no more calcium buildup in your appliances - water heater, dishwasher, washing machine, steam irons, so you’ll generally get longer life. Less soap required in washing/ showering, push things come out cleaner. These are major issues for people on very hard water like well water

Water tastes worse - calcium is replaced by sodium = salt

As outdoor taps are normally bypassed, your car won’t get any benefit
Thanks for laying out the math!

We would be a family of 2 people. Based on assumptions, it would be 24.4 days before the salt needs to be recharged. What does that look like in terms of the monthly cost (excluding electricity and water consumption). Is that about $10-$15 for a bag of salt?
Jun 7, 2011
166 posts
122 upvotes
Orangeville
Silverfox555 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:06 pm
Thanks for laying out the math!

We would be a family of 2 people. Based on assumptions, it would be 24.4 days before the salt needs to be recharged. What does that look like in terms of the monthly cost (excluding electricity and water consumption). Is that about $10-$15 for a bag of salt?
A bag of salt is generally 6-8 bucks unless you have a sensitivity and have to buy the expensive stuff. If you fill your salt, it should last you up to a year maybe, that's probably 5-6 bags.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1347 posts
720 upvotes
Silverfox555 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:04 pm
It worked for me in Calgary (Crowfoot location only).

However, I might be wrong, but there is a chance that this in-store pick-up order will be cancelled...

Has anyone had experience with Lowes cancelling in-store pick-up orders with price errors?
So was your total 475 + gst like OP?

How long ago did you try - I tried an hour ago and didn't see the 475$ price for any Calgary store
Feb 6, 2015
92 posts
52 upvotes
Calgary
adilh53 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:18 pm
So was your total 475 + gst like OP?

How long ago did you try - I tried an hour ago and didn't see the 475$ price for any Calgary store
Oh, then the deal must be dead for Calgary. I placed an order prior to when you tried then (more than an hour ago).
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
1228 posts
2355 upvotes
Silverfox555 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:22 pm
Oh, then the deal must be dead for Calgary. I placed an order prior to when you tried then (more than an hour ago).
I posted this almost 2 hours ago.

Pickering and Scarborough West, Calgary - McKenzie, Red Deer, Edmonton - South Common, Edmonton - Gateway, Sherwood Park, still showing up as $599.20 at the moment.

Last edited by hill15 on Jul 22nd, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.