• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2019 11:11 pm
Feb 6, 2015
92 posts
52 upvotes
Calgary
Pants536 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:13 pm
A bag of salt is generally 6-8 bucks unless you have a sensitivity and have to buy the expensive stuff. If you fill your salt, it should last you up to a year maybe, that's probably 5-6 bags.
Oh wow, that's not bad.

I actually wanted the water softener because I believe the hardness causes my skin to dry out, thus results in skin irritation and a little bit of eczema. When you say expensive stuff, I presume you mean the phosphate stuff? Used to work at Canadian Tire and recall people purchasing the "phosphate stuff".
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2522 posts
612 upvotes
Scarborough
I know a couple of households have the softeners. They also installed water purifiers to remove the salt+ for drinking.

Do people just soften the water to the hot water tank only, instead of the whole house, which would mean salting the plants/lawn...?
Dec 16, 2010
575 posts
328 upvotes
Canada
Wow!

I bought this for $560 last year and thought it was a great price! Good find OP!
Jun 7, 2011
166 posts
122 upvotes
Orangeville
Silverfox555 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:24 pm
I actually wanted the water softener because I believe the hardness causes my skin to dry out, thus results in skin irritation and a little bit of eczema. When you say expensive stuff, I presume you mean the phosphate stuff? Used to work at Canadian Tire and recall people purchasing the "phosphate stuff".
I think so. Unsure as I haven't checked the salt type, but yea. Different salt as to not irritate.
Samwfive wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:28 pm
I know a couple of households have the softeners. They also installed water purifiers to remove the salt+ for drinking.

Do people just soften the water to the hot water tank only, instead of the whole house, which would mean salting the plants/lawn...?
Whole house. If your house is set up in a way that you can set up the softener after your outdoor lines, that's ideal. Mine isn't, so before i water plants, I have to go turn the bypass valves to get the hard water.

Also generally softener houses have reverse osmosis in the kitchen for drinking.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6567 posts
3393 upvotes
Canada
How much would it cost to install
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Should I say party ended now?

With most stores either removed the special order discount or got cleared out by the massive RFD volume this morning, looks like nearly no store is still have this special pricing any more. We can move the thread to expired now I think.
I do feel the stores are having “spies” on this forum though... it is been like that for almost the whole weekend but once posted on the forum, they are all get changed quickly in the morning
Last edited by turndd on Jul 22nd, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1344 posts
718 upvotes
hill15 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:24 pm
I posted this almost 2 hours ago.

Pickering and Scarborough West, Calgary - McKenzie, Red Deer, Edmonton - South Common, Edmonton - Gateway, Sherwood Park, still showing up as $599.20 at the moment.

Last edited by hill15 on Jul 22nd, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
I checked all the stores in Calgary and edm you listed, all show $679. Scratch promo code still works but brings final price to 579, not 475.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It is too late now I guess. Either store “spies” on this forum have changed the price or some locations, like Scarborough west got all stock gone by RFDers. I think the deal is gone now
Jan 18, 2017
218 posts
163 upvotes
Pants536 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:36 pm
I think so. Unsure as I haven't checked the salt type, but yea. Different salt as to not irritate.

Whole house. If your house is set up in a way that you can set up the softener after your outdoor lines, that's ideal. Mine isn't, so before i water plants, I have to go turn the bypass valves to get the hard water.

Also generally softener houses have reverse osmosis in the kitchen for drinking.

Definitely use a reverse osmosis system to purify the drinking water. I even ran a line from the osmosis system to the fridge water line so I don’t have to buy stupid expensive water filter for fridge anymore.

I also had a bypass valve but it was so annoying to have to go to the basement to shut it off every time I had to water my lawn/garden and then back to basement to turn it back on. Eventually I got a plumber to run pex lines to my hose bibs. (Undeveloped basement).
Jun 7, 2011
166 posts
122 upvotes
Orangeville
250strong wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:53 pm
Definitely use a reverse osmosis system to purify the drinking water. I even ran a line from the osmosis system to the fridge water line so I don’t have to buy stupid expensive water filter for fridge anymore.

I also had a bypass valve but it was so annoying to have to go to the basement to shut it off every time I had to water my lawn/garden and then back to basement to turn it back on. Eventually I got a plumber to run pex lines to my hose bibs. (Undeveloped basement).
Living the dream.

My fridge is on the other side of the kitchen (only makes ice anyways, no big loss), and my basement is finished, so unless someone makes a smart softener bypass valve, i'm stuck.

If i eventually get a gas line run for the stove though, i can probably use that same hole to run an outdoor line....hmmm.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Actually Red Deer and Calgary- crowfoot and even Abbotsford,BC in the West is still having this deal as of now. Not sure about Ontario but mostly gone already

Good luck guys
Last edited by turndd on Jul 22nd, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3221 posts
2401 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Silverfox555 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:06 pm
Thanks for laying out the math!

We would be a family of 2 people. Based on assumptions, it would be 24.4 days before the salt needs to be recharged. What does that look like in terms of the monthly cost (excluding electricity and water consumption). Is that about $10-$15 for a bag of salt?
Take a look at this article (from the same site).

Basically, the listed grain amount is the maximum potential capacity of the system, but it's horribly inefficient and implausible to achieve in realistic situations.

If you look at the Performance Data Sheet, you'll see the Grains @ Salt Dose ratio.
Rated Softening Capacity (Grains @ Salt Dose)
11,900 @ 2.4 lbs
31,600 @ 9.0 lbs
40,000 @ 15.5 lbs
See how much more salt it'll take to regenerate 40k vs 31.6k?
Aug 25, 2005
781 posts
62 upvotes
Just ordered. Worked for me. Thanks turndd!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1344 posts
718 upvotes
turndd wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 1:05 pm
Actually Red Deer and Calgary- crowfoot and even Abbotsford,BC in the West is still having this deal as of now. Not sure about Ontario but mostly gone already

Good luck guys
Strange - I checked crowfoot a couple hours ago and again now. I see the $679 price even after adding to cart, only the 15% off comes off after adding the promo code. Do not see it down to 475 in cart with promo applied and with that location selected. What browser are you using and are you shopping incognito etc?
[OP]
Dec 4, 2014
39 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
adilh53 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 1:35 pm
Strange - I checked crowfoot a couple hours ago and again now. I see the $679 price even after adding to cart, only the 15% off comes off after adding the promo code. Do not see it down to 475 in cart with promo applied and with that location selected. What browser are you using and are you shopping incognito etc?
I was just using the Safari from my phone basically. And it is still showing the special price now.
Images
  • FE493DB8-DDE9-4B98-BA14-73624D72D27B.png
  • 844BF078-5A7B-4EA5-BE3C-FA7886656734.png